Ford Edge...2.0, 2.7, or 3.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at used Edge's (2016 and newer) I see it's available with 3 different engines. I'm just wondering if there are any known issues with any of them that are bad enough that I should not consider one. The only one I'm a little leery of is the 2.0, and that's only because I don't want the vehicle to be under powered. I'll have to drive one to see how it does. Turbos make up for a lot of cubic inches. The other two engines I'm not worried about power wise, and the 2.7 is probably a bit overkill in that area for my wife and I.

3.5 engine is shared with the Flex, Taurus, and Explorer. That would be where I'm leaning.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
3.5 engine is shared with the Flex, Taurus, and Explorer. That would be where I'm leaning.

The pluses of that engine are that it seems to have been around for a while and is a good, durable motor, and it's not turbocharged (fewer things to break). The minus is that's it's a larger engine and its fuel economy isn't quite as good as the turbo engines...

My wife has had an Edge with the 2.0 and currently drives an Edge with the 3.5.

The 2.0 is not underpowered.
It was faster and gets better fuel mileage.

The 3.5 is smoother and feels more refined.
It will move just fine, just takes a bit longer.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Be aware of the risk that comes with the 3.5. I believe the water pump is underneath the timing cover. I've attached a video on it. The 2.7 is not like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3-NOGZL8ms

I will verify this, but I think the water pump problem with the 3.5 was corrected by Ford starting with the 2011 or 2012 models...the oldest model Edge I will consider is the 2016 model...

Last edited:
I was under the impression the longitude configuration had the external pump, as in the f150 and expedition. The transverse configuration had the internal pump, even in to 2019 on the non turbo 3.5 transverse version. Definitely chain driven in the parts list in the first two picture in the flex and belt driven in the last picture in the f150 eco.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Be aware of the risk that comes with the 3.5. I believe the water pump is underneath the timing cover. I've attached a video on it. The 2.7 is not like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3-NOGZL8ms

I will verify this, but I think the water pump problem with the 3.5 was corrected by Ford starting with the 2011 or 2012 models...the oldest model Edge I will consider is the 2016 model...

It was not....

Yup. All transverse configurations of the 3.5 have the internal pump in the explorer, edge and flex. The longitudinal versions, like the normally aspirated base engine in the F150, have the belt driven, external, pump. First picture is the explorer, second is the F150.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I've never heard anyone say that they wished they had bought a slower model.

Today I drove an 2.0 turbo, and a 3.5 Edge. Surprisingly, the 3.5 was way faster, but the 2.0 wasn't what I would consider under powered. So how big of a deal is this water pump issue? Is it like I need to keep a constant eye on my oil (as in doing oil analytics) to see if the water pump is leaking into the oil? Or should I just avoid the 3.5?

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
2.7. By far.

Though I didn't drive one with a 2.7, I can imagine it's got power to spare...the problem with the the 2.7 is the cost of the trim level you have to pay for to get it...the Edge Sport/Titaniums cost on average about $5K more than the SELs...

Originally Posted by MCompact
I've never heard anyone say that they wished they had bought a slower model.

Some here have said that the 2.7 EB feels faster. Personally, I'm with you - I can't imagine it. 3.5 has more power and torque, and, as long as it's not too much heavier, it should have better acceleration.

I know what my choice would be (at least, in the F-150 or Expedition - I wouldn't buy a transverse-mounted EcoBoost). And, I would only buy the 2ndGen EB.

If I didn't get the 2.7, I'd be left wondering how great it actually is. But there's nothing wrong with just going Titanium level. It's a really nice vehicle and worth the difference in price, especially in the slightly used market.

Originally Posted by KJSmith
My wife has had an Edge with the 2.0 and currently drives an Edge with the 3.5.

The 2.0 is not underpowered.
It was faster and gets better fuel mileage.

The 3.5 is smoother and feels more refined.
It will move just fine, just takes a bit longer.

I experienced just the opposite. The one we drove with the 3.5 accelerated considerable harder than the 2.0. The 2.0 wasn't slow by any means, but the 3.5 most definitely pulled harder...

Originally Posted by tcp71
Yup. All transverse configurations of the 3.5 have the internal pump in the explorer, edge and flex. The longitudinal versions, like the normally aspirated base engine in the F150, have the belt driven, external, pump. First picture is the explorer, second is the F150.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It appears I was thinking that all 3.5s were changed, but apparently it's only the F150 engines that have been changed...I wonder why Ford didn't do both engines? That's just weird...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back