Michelin A/S3+ or Conti DWS06

Had a pinched tire on the E90 in the fall so I switched over to the winter Hakkas early. Now I am shopping for new "summer" tires.

Tire sizes are 225/40/18 and 255/35/18.

Looking for a performance no-season tire so I can run them as long as I can before switching to the winters. The contenders are the Michelin A/S3+ and the Conti DWS06. I have had several sets of the Michelin, and enjoy how well they handle, but man, are they ever loud, louder than my winter tires. Thinking the Contis may be quieter with only a small trade off in handling.

What say you all? Possibly another tire out there to consider? First person to say General RT-43 is going to get slapped. :lol:

although I got the General RT-43s for my sister's Corolla and she loves them, (even in Winter) I wouldn't use them on your car...
wink.gif

I have both of these tires currently...the Michelin A/S 3+ on my CTS4 Sport Wagon (Luxury with the 3.0 engine) and I really like the driving upgrade from the OE Michelins...I find the tire firm but for most everything else well worth the purchase (shop for the sales)

I have the Continental DWS-06s on my SS sedan for about a year now (I don't drive it in the Winter) and would have bought the A/S 3+ had they been available in the load rating for the rear tire for the SS...I am very pleased with this purchase as well but I do find the ride a touch softer that the A/S 3+ on the Caddy and some have complained of softer sidewalls with the Conti's...I dunno...

I think you can't go wrong with either purchase and if both are available for your car, and it was my car, I'd probably buy the Michelins...and I'm not a tire snob but they are a touch nicer at least in my applications than the Conti's...

the Conti's were about $100 less expensive when looking at both cars and of course the right size but wrong load rating so it may have been a larger gulf between the two...

Good luck with your choice

Bill

Everyone Ive installed the DWS on loves them. A little softer, but great tread wear and not too loud. I have DWs on the E46, and from the square treadblocks under harder braking it can get loud, but I also swapped out the spring pad spacers to give it a bit of a small rake.

Michelins for the win! I'd do the Primacy MXM4's. Quiet as a mouse on my LS430.

I never consider any other brand. Never. I'm pretty closed minded, ain't I?

Go to michelin website. You have 3 options for all season in 225 size.

I have the Michelin AS/3+ on my Mercedes E350, also have Continential Purecontacts on my other one. Overall, I'd say you're probably right about the noise on the Michelins, they're a bit louder than the Contis on the other car. Treadwear was much better than on the Purecontacts than the Michelins. I'd say it's a toss up between the two. Only reason I got Michelins again was that Costco typically has a good sale on them. It just expired on March 1st so now they have a Bridgestone promotion but they just tend to switch back and forth between the two promotions.

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
Had a pinched tire on the E90 in the fall so I switched over to the winter Hakkas early. Now I am shopping for new "summer" tires.

Tire sizes are 225/40/18 and 255/35/18.

Looking for a performance no-season tire so I can run them as long as I can before switching to the winters. The contenders are the Michelin A/S3+ and the Conti DWS06. I have had several sets of the Michelin, and enjoy how well they handle, but man, are they ever loud, louder than my winter tires. Thinking the Contis may be quieter with only a small trade off in handling.

What say you all? Possibly another tire out there to consider? First person to say General RT-43 is going to get slapped. :lol:

Hey, I use RT43 on my E90, as spare
smile.gif

I've used both pretty extensively. My experience echos all of the reviews I've seen: the AS3+ is basically a summer tire that won't get you killed when the temperature drops--insane amounts of grip. But, they're noisy and pretty stiff.

DWS-06 grip almost as well, are more quiet, and ride softer--at the expensive of the sharp turn-in you get with the AS3+. I've had these in 40 series and 45 series, same experience.

I've just switched to Vredestein Quatrac Pro. They seem to split the difference between them. Great grip in the wet, good in the dry, reasonable noise and a bit better response than the DWS-06. They also have the 3PMFS symbol, which should allow you to run them a bit deeper in the season before you put on the snows.

In my case, I'm actually using these as "winter" tires, since I'm in a mild wet climate and occasionally travel over groomed mountain passes. The snowflake symbol is key here since I'm able to avoid chaining up in R2 conditions. I just got back from a 2,500 mile trip with them, including some high-speed mountain pass driving, and they were on a par with the AS3+. Bottom line, I don't think you'll hit the limits of dry handling on any of these on public roads without getting arrested.

Probably worth checking out the new Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate as well, which seems to test really well among all who've tested them.

I put the A/S3+ on the Club Sport when I retired it from track duty. They work extremely well. It's the only all-season Michelin I'd consider for your application.

I have the Conti DWS-06 tires on my Chevy SS Sport sedan. Even with 415HP I have good tread left at 53,000 on this set.
I will replace with same when needed.

As a 10 year Continental user and the DWS old version was a tire of choice on my lowered 2009 Honda Fit. I thought I would get the DWS06.( Since you are a BMW alignment guy .... on my new lowered 2 inches with no bump steer, but a bad roll center, working on that now, everything has be custom on this car, have to make my own kit. The car was design by X BMW engineers and the suspension from X Audi engineers, basically a copy of a Golf R suspension ) Hyundai 2018 Kona AWD 1.6T as my winter tire here in Minnesota. I sport drive all year long, so sipped winter tires are a no no for sport driving. Since I bought a new car and I had to get rid of the OEM Goodyear A/S that were greasy in snow I opted for the DWS06. I had such flat spotting from sitting the night (late fall Minnesota)problems that I never had on my Fit with the old style DWS. Discount Tire went through the balancing routine and we even switched to a new set of 06 and still an issue. The manager suggested DT house Continental A/S that he thought was far better then the softer DWS06.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/continental-control-contact-sport-a-s

They were far better with almost zero flat spotting, the sidewall was stiffer so I had better handling then the soft DWS06 that would roll over the sidewall. I always run higher pressure 38 cold, since I can't stand sidewall roll over. Those are my winter tire. I was going to go with the Michelins that you are looking at, but the manager at my store who knows his smit on high perf tire said you may not like them in the snow, he has had too many people want to switch back out of them right away. He thought the Conti A/S would fit both my needs better.

Then after that first winter I wanted summer rims that were 1 inch wider, but after just buying a set of winter A/S new tires 3 months earlier and now buying 5 rims(in case of curbing) and another set of tires, I went the cheaper route on tires and bought the General G-Max 05 (Egg Head posted a picture in an above post). Now I don't know if the 1 inch wider rim helped and the less unsprung weight, but the G-Max 05 A/S are by far better feeling tire then even "better" handling tire then the Conti DT exclusive A/S. We are talking by a large margin. There is no way I could come into a common exit ramp loop down drop radius at 100 mph with massive braking and throw it into the loop with the Conti A/S that you can with the G-Max-05 A/S. And General is owned by Continental too. Here is a picture of my car so far, I wanted it lower in the rear but I tow a small boat so I have to have some travel in the rear for that added weight. I have to compromise on it, it is my daily driver too.

I have 7/32 on the Generals now and I don't think they are loud. I was going to get the same Michelin's as you picked for my summer tire since I like good tires in the rain, but the $$ was another $350. I wanted the money for other stuff. So the Generals are good for now. I am looking into Vredestein Voltis for autoX and they are a lower price like the Generals, but they don't make my size anymore. I would have to go from a 235/45 18 to a 245/40 18 and the Vredestein Voltis is another 3 pounds more in weight and their width is the widest of any same size tire. I may just keep the Generals since that perform so well for a A/S tire slamming corners for the money. I just don't want to chunk them if I auto X.

https://www.hyundaikonaforum.com/showcase/2018-kona-awd-1-6t-lowered.1162/

Originally Posted by Egg_Head
I've owned both types and as was said you cannot go wrong. I recently put a set of the General G-Max AS-05 on my niece's E83 X3 and drove them for about 1100 miles, I was impressed and thought it an excellent tire for the value: https://generaltire.com/tires/performance/g-max-05

[Linked Image]

I got those on Forte and love them too. Smooth, quiet, tons of grip in dry and wet and great handling.
This tire influenced making G-Max Justice tire for cops fleet too.

You can't go wrong with either. The A/S3+ are better in the dry and have better response/grip but the DWS06 were better in inclement weather/light snow, but the turn in response with them were atrocious. I'd do the A/S3+ since you have a set of snows already.

everyone, please tell us what car you have them on as that will help as well...I'd bet they behave differently on different vehicles since I don't find turn in atrocious in my SS sedan and it is certainly a vehicle I push the envelope with but for purely dry driving the Michelins edge the Conti's between my two vehicle...

Bill

Last edited:
Originally Posted by silversport
everyone, please tell us what car you have them on as that will help as well...I'd bet they behave differently on different vehicles since I don't find turn in atrocious in my SS sedan and it is certainly a vehicle I push the envelope with but for purely dry driving the Michelins edge the Conti's between my two vehicle...

Bill

Michelin will edge DWS06 in dry and wet.
DWS was firs performance A/S tire that offered some kind of snow performance to get you by until one installs snow tires. I have them on Tiguan and they are really good tires, however strictly performance wise, Michelin is ahead.
Of course, I always cringe talking performance and all season in the same sentence.

I've had both. The Michelin AS 3+ will give you the best wet/dry performance. The Continentals will give you the best snow traction and best life.

From your description, I would go with the Michelins. Excellent performance, better than many summer performance tires. They're not great in snow, they just suck less than other summer performance tires, but since you plan to run winter tires, that matters little.

Thank you all. Will also look into the General and the Goodyear. I wish the Mich MXM4 was available in my sizing, would be perfect combination of performance and ride I am looking for. May end up with the Conti, I am willing to get a small handling trade off for a quieter tire. Still be much better in an 18" size than my current 225/45/17 winters.

Hmm, the new Goodyear looks to be a very strong contender. It's wet performance is outstanding compared to the A/S3+.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=241

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mightymousetech
Thank you all. Will also look into the General and the Goodyear. I wish the Mich MXM4 was available in my sizing, would be perfect combination of performance and ride I am looking for. May end up with the Conti, I am willing to get a small handling trade off for a quieter tire. Still be much better in an 18" size than my current 225/45/17 winters.

Hmm, the new Goodyear looks to be a very strong contender. It's wet performance is outstanding compared to the A/S3+.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=241

I would still bet on Michelin wet performance after 20k compared to GY.

Back