Oil additive to resolve oil burn in my mower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mower is 10yrs old with a 4 Stroke Vtwin 20hp+ engine that has had dino SAE 30 oil the majority of it's life. I switched to full synth oil a couple years ago and added Seafoam in the oil and fuel since the pistons look caked with deposits when I removed the plugs. What oil additive would you guys recommend?

Originally Posted by 13Track38
Seafoam in the oil and fuel since the pistons look caked with deposits when I removed the plugs.

I would stop adding seafoam to the fuel. Seafoam is a light oil with alcohol and some naptha. Burning oil in the fuel could contribute to the piston deposits.

If i used an additive for carbon deposits, it would be a pea product like techron. Berryman b-12 is good for cleaning the carb. Make sure the sparkplug is gapped correctly and reinstall it.

If its using oil, a high mileage 10w30 , or a hedo 15w40 should help. If you are running a straight 30 it should NOT be a ND( non detergent ) sae 30.

Last edited:
45.gif
Kreen.

Try moving up the viscosity scale to 15W40 for the winter and 20W50 for the summer. I think most small engines, and even more likely the ones built 10 years ago tend toward richer fuel mixtures which are going to leave combustion chamber carbon. Oil burning only compounds the problem.

My mower is 10yrs old with a 4 Stroke Vtwin 20hp+ engine that has had dino SAE 30 oil the majority of it's life. I switched to full synth oil a couple years ago and added Seafoam in the oil and fuel since the pistons look caked with deposits when I removed the plugs. What oil additive would you guys recommend?

I use 20w-50 on oil burners.

I switched to full synth oil a couple years ago and added Seafoam in the oil and fuel since the pistons look caked with deposits when I removed the plugs. What oil additive would you guys recommend?
Stop using Seafoam in the oil. That's probably what's getting consumed. That and also try a 15w-40 as others have mentioned.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
I had a mower once that ran 100% on STP treatment!!!!

Amazing you didn't snap the rope trying to get it started.

Thanks for all the help. I'll research and try something recommended. Btw I installed new properly gapped plugs last year and I had oil burn with SAE 30 beforehand hence the switch which I forgot to include was 10w40.

Your engine will always burn oil, no matter what you put in it. It is a matter of minimizing the consumption at this point. You cannot replace metal which has been worn off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back