Walmart cheap batteries went up to $55

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sky is falling!
laugh.gif

Great price for the deka group 65 though, lol.

Originally Posted by OilOfIndia
Hmmm.. I saw 24F for $93.xx
Are you saying 24F is $50?

Walmart sells different "tiers" (I don't say models because they're probably identical underneath, you just pay more for the warranty). The "Value" line was $50. I think it's the "MAXX" line that's in the $90-100 range.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Walmart sells different "tiers" (I don't say models because they're probably identical underneath, you just pay more for the warranty). The "Value" line was $50. I think it's the "MAXX" line that's in the $90-100 range.

Thanks for the info. That helps.

Bought a cheapo Walmart battery two years ago for my daughter. Works great. Good value.

Untrue. Their maxx line really does have higher CCA, and weighs more due to more lead in them. It is not "identical underneath".

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eljefino
The sky is falling!
laugh.gif

Are these Deka now? I thought they had switched to (junk) Exide?

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
The sky is falling!
laugh.gif

My Walmart switched to Exide for about 2-3 months. Then went to some South Korean brand in December. Then in January went back to JC.

The sky is falling!
laugh.gif

Depends on where you live. First two characters of the serial number tell the tale. EP= Deka.

[Linked Image]

Here's my almost 4.5 year old Walmart ValuePower 24F Battery made by Johnson Controls - in near daily service since December of 2015!

I was doing some turkey baster maintenance on my power steering system today... measured the battery's resting voltage @ 12.54 Volts - that's after sitting in my driveway for over 12+ hour. no parasitic draw, my multi-meter is calibrated, alternator charging voltage measures 14.40v at idle...

I only decided to 'service' the battery 6 month ago, but pulling the caps off for the very first time to check electrolyte levels and to top off with distilled water. One thing I did notice was the far left battery cell closest to the transmission/engine was low and it's electrolyte was cloudy with what I'm assuming is from the shedding of the lead plates. All other cell's electrolytes were clear, at that time resting voltage was around 12.61 Volts.

So yeah, my battery is decaying
shocked.gif
but I'm still currently above 75% 'State of Charge'

[ will replace it with THIS EQUIVALENT one from Walmart soon ]

I need to figure a way to insulate the battery from the heat
smirk.gif

[Linked Image]

The sky is falling!
laugh.gif

Depends on where you live. First two characters of the serial number tell the tale. EP= Deka.

Thanks for that. Deka batts are made by Eastern Penn Mfgring. They make all manner of batteries.
I've engineered many telecom -48 Vdc DC battery plants surrounding the Deka Unigy II series. I've purchased hundreds of thousands of dollars of their most excellent products.

I thought the same until I weighed them. Same group size 24 the Value is noticeably lighter. JCI manufacture here.

I weighed the group 24f Valuepower battery made by East Penn and it was 41 pounds... Which correlates with the 624fmf battery they make...Which means that $50 battery is the exact same battery that O Reilly's sells got $140 and has a 2 yr free replacement warranty... This same battery is at Federated Auto with a 3 yr free replacement warranty...

The 24f battery at Federated Auto sells for $117 so it is obviously is less than $40 per warranty year cost... That is not too shabby.

The Walmart East Penn made group 24f battery is one of the best buys in terms of real value out there...

Surprised they still have the VP line...it was mentioned to me by a few employees that they will not be around too much longer...

Probably because the fact is a strong majority of people are very cheap when it comes to buying things for their vehicles... And the Valuepower battery is really killing the "higher" end Everstart battery sales...

battery crapped out two years ago in a walmart parking lot... didn't have any choice where to buy a battery...bought the cheapo battery , the cheapest they had for $99 , two year warranty still going strong almost 3 years now lately with the prices of batteries I have been getting them at auto salvage yards for 25 bucks..90 day warranty and I haven't had any trouble with them but then thats just me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back