What do we think of the Jeep Renegade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^^ The latest generation Jeeps have a lot of Fiat electronics in them. I'll talk with my engineering contact at FCA in the next few days and find out to what extent and what other Chrysler/Jeep models have Fiat electronics/electrical systems.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I think Fiat put the JEEP name on anything they think would sell. They have ruined the JEEP name IMO. Ed

That started before Fiat actually. Look at the Patriot/Compass for example. The "traditional" Jeep models are the Wrangler, Cherokee and Grand Cherokee.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
^^^^^ The latest generation Jeeps have a lot of Fiat electronics in them. I'll talk with my engineering contact at FCA in the next few days and find out to what extent and what other Chrysler/Jeep models have Fiat electronics/electrical systems.

The current (Fiat) Cherokee definitely would, and anything else based on a Fiat-derived platform. I'd be surprised if they did anything major to the GC, Durango, Charger/300/Challenger all of which are based on really old platforms at this point, but I could be wrong
lol.gif

Please buy something else. It's your hard earned money -- don't let a company like Fiat/Chrysler have it.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I think Fiat put the JEEP name on anything they think would sell. They have ruined the JEEP name IMO. Ed

They make what people demand, like ridiculous 4-door Wrangler mall crawlers.

I had a 1983 CJ 7 Laredo for a bit. Good ole low revving Rambler 258 I-6 with a stick . That was a real Jeep. Flat metal dash, big gages. At least as real as the Yuppie Jeeps were in the 80's
smile.gif
I still see a few Sarah Connor wannabees around town in 'em, sporting a bandanna and avaitors
smile.gif

I also had a Suzuki Samurai (Geo Tracker) 4WD w/ little hot cammed 1.6L MT

Great Jeep like vehicle too. Nice and small; it could go up hiking trails where K5 feared to tread - or wouldnt fit ! : )
wink.gif
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bailes1992
Hi All,

My Wife and I purchased a 2018 Jeep Renegade around two weeks ago. It's a 1.6 e.Torq (basically a Tritec engine with a 16v head) with a 5 speed manual box and front wheel drive only. It's only got 9,000miles on the clock and is absolutely immaculate. 24 hours after purchasing I was pulling off (gently might I add) and the clutch plate decided it didn't want to be in the gearbox any more.

The car has spent two weeks in a Jeep dealer and we've been told it's going to be another 4 weeks before it can be repaired.

The dealer we purchased the car off has been fantastic. They put us in a hire car as soon as the car broke, and call us nearly daily to make sure everything is okay. They have given us three options.

Option 1, They've offered to leave us in the hire car until the Jeep is fixed and offered to extend the warranty to 5 years/100k over the standard 3 year/60k manufacturers warranty.

Option 2, we can have a full refund.

Option 3, they have a 2017 Renegade in stock with 18k on the clock which we can 'swap' for. They will extend the warranty to 5 years/100k and give us a £2000 refund.

We are siding with option 3 at the moment. The first Renegade we purchased is Solar Yellow and the 2017 is Omaha Orange. Both are exactly the same specification.

Generally, are the Renegades reliable? Or should we just take the refund and look for something else?

I'd take it as a sign and take the money and try something else.

Cute little pseudo-Jeep. Not a fan of bright wild colors, but do your own thing. If you like it, drive their rental till the original one is fixed then give it a whirl and see if they even fixed it properly. I'm a little portly and gas is cheap around here so I drive a Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 Hemi. Gas got down to $1.98 a gallon for a couple of days last week, it was GREAT.

Originally Posted by RTexasF
Jeep's track record for reliability is abysmal especially since Fiat. Take the refund find something else.

I have old CR annuals. Lots of black dots in every category from the 70s on up. So it's really not 'since Fiat'. You could say since AMC.

My folks had two that were atrocious. A 71 Gremlin and a 72 Ambassador Brougham. The Ambassador's workmanship was scarcely better than the Gremlins and the materials used to build both were of the thinnest, lowest cost, lowest quality in the industry.

Engines were solid. But what housed them was slapped together crap. [And yes, I'd have either one in my driveway today, don't get me wrong].

This after having built a reputation for quality and reliability from the prior decade and a half.

So yeah, since AMC you could say.

CR rankings in the 80s: black dots everywhere, so maybe, since Renault.

Last edited:
His wife likes the car - so they are sticking with it. It will still be a new vehicle with an extended warranty. It's not a bad way to go for you, considering she likes it.

Originally Posted by meep
His wife likes the car - so they are sticking with it. It will still be a new vehicle with an extended warranty. It's not a bad way to go for you, considering she likes it.

This. Is the Mopar Maxcare warranty available over there? Over here an 8 year/125,000 mile Maxcare warranty will run you about $2,500 with a $100 deductible.

"The only parts and labor not covered:
• Maintenance Services and items used in such services
• Catalytic Converter and Particulate Filter • Glass, Plastic Lenses and Light Bulbs
• Body and Paint items (including Soft Trim) • Snowplows, Winches and Trailer Hitches
• Wear items (such as Tires, Manual Clutch Assembly, Brake Pads, Shoes, Rotors, Drums, Belts and Wipers)"

Well, we chose option 3 and I went to look at the replacement last night which had been shipped down 200 miles from the North of England.

Externally the car was immaculate, but when I opened the door I was hit by a strong smell of [censored]. After the salesman insisting they don't sell cars that have been smoked in, I showed him the collection of tobacco and [censored] ash in the drivers door and he started to back peddle. I then noticed the car didn't have it's first service till it was 2 years old with 16k on the clock, service intervals on the e.Torq are 1 year or 10k. Every 2nd year service includes spark plugs and the air filter, under the engine cover there was no hand prints in the dirt on the plug leads and the air filter screws don't look like they've ever been touched since it left the factory. It was a no from me!

Just requested a refund.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by meep

This. Is the Mopar Maxcare warranty available over there? Over here an 8 year/125,000 mile Maxcare warranty will run you about $2,500 with a $100 deductible.

"The only parts and labor not covered:
• Maintenance Services and items used in such services
• Catalytic Converter and Particulate Filter • Glass, Plastic Lenses and Light Bulbs
• Body and Paint items (including Soft Trim) • Snowplows, Winches and Trailer Hitches
• Wear items (such as Tires, Manual Clutch Assembly, Brake Pads, Shoes, Rotors, Drums, Belts and Wipers)"

I got the equivalent of this, but no deduction at the dealer of sale, and 150k mile limit. I recommend it. Way too much to go wrong on modern vehicles. My girlfriend just had her Ford SYNC3 unit replaced in her 2016 Edge, for example.

My vote was for option 3 til I read your last post.....
I'm not a hater of much of anything and it's no fun ignoring something your wife if she really likes the style, fit, sit or looks of a specific car.
You have time to research and read up on other choices or options so get the info and feedback on what you next consider before hand. Search up the stuff you think you might get right away and look at forums, ownership experience, recalls or whatever.

Good luck. Pre -owned Mazda 5' s there ? Kia Soul ?

Originally Posted by bachman
My vote was for option 3 til I read your last post.....
I'm not a hater of much of anything and it's no fun ignoring something your wife if she really likes the style, fit, sit or looks of a specific car.
You have time to research and read up on other choices or options so get the info and feedback on what you next consider before hand. Search up the stuff you think you might get right away and look at forums, ownership experience, recalls or whatever.

Good luck. Pre -owned Mazda 5' s there ? Kia Soul ?

I was with a girl once who has a Renegade. She loves it. She can afford to replace anything in it or on it that breaks, including the entire darn thing. If you have the money, just buy and enjoy. My .02

since o.p. is in england he can look for nice small suv models unavailable in usa such as toyota rush, skoda yeti and suzuki jimny. lucky him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back