Actual vs. Real MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove through the Smokie Mountians from Greenville Sc to Paris Tn.

2013 Elantra GT, 6 speed manual. I drove 75-80mph on cruise control and sat in Nashville traffic. 87 octane, cheapest gas I can find.

Dash indicated- 37.2MPG

Hand calculated- 35.44 MPG

I'm always about 2 MPG off.

I'm still pleased as I was cruising! From day 1, the dash MPG hasn't been accurate.

Last edited:
The nicer I drive, the closer real vs dash/trip get (my car has 4 mpg things
crazy2.gif
). Usually, the car reads 1-2 high. Worst ever was 5 off
lol.gif

I've been averaging 20-22 in the winter, 25-27 in the summer.

2004 Corolla doesn't have that lifesaver. But it does have the modern conveyance of a gas gauge and an miles gauge.
The Duramax has one I don't even bother figuring it out anymore its seems to always be within .1 to .2 MPG consistently.

Originally Posted by dja4260

2013 Elantra GT, 6 speed manual. I drove 75-80mph on cruise control and sat in Nashville traffic. 87 octane, cheapest gas I can find.

Dash indicated- 37.2MPG

I'm still pleased as I was cruising! From day 1, the dash MPG hasn't been accurate.

My vehicles are always about 2 mpg lower with my calculated reading after refilling than what the computer shows inside the car.

thought it was about EPA VS REAL mpgs, which can vary widely for many reasons as seen by some "discussions" or even legal issues where manufacturers #s are way higher. living in hilly + mountainous areas along with colder temps prolly have the biggest influence besides the "NUT" behind the wheel!!

It depends on which pump you fill up at.

Do you think they are all calibrated to give the EXACT amount? Think again.

In most if not all cases, the discrepancy will be a relatively constant percentage, not , as people claim, a constant number of mpg---which is saying the same only if you always get the same mpg.

For example, my car consistently gets 0.945 times the mpg it claims as a long-term average, regardless of conditions that make mpg vary from tank to tank. In other words, it claims to burn 0.945 times as much fuel as it actually does. Toyota lies to that extent.

Originally Posted by CR94
In most if not all cases, the discrepancy will be a relatively constant percentage, not , as people claim, a constant number of mpg---which is saying the same only if you always get the same mpg.

For example, my car consistently gets 0.945 times the mpg it claims as a long-term average, regardless of conditions that make mpg vary from tank to tank. In other words, it claims to burn 0.945 times as much fuel as it actually does. Toyota lies to that extent.

Wow!! Toyota lies and third decimal accuracy!!!
Congratulations...
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dja4260

Dash indicated- 37.2MPG

Yes, I get about 2 mpg off also.

Not exactly right, you mean it burns 1.058 times the fuel, which is 5.8% more fuel, and I bet your speedometer (& likely odometer) are also a percent or 2 on the high side, which also means you're actually not going as far as indicated for the same amount of gas.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
... For example, my car consistently gets 0.945 [See correction below.] times the mpg it claims as a long-term average, regardless of conditions that make mpg vary from tank to tank. In other words, it claims to burn 0.945 times as much fuel as it actually does. Toyota lies to that extent.
Not exactly right, you mean it burns 1.058 times the fuel, which is 5.8% more fuel, and I bet your speedometer (& likely odometer) are also a percent or 2 on the high side, which also means you're actually not going as far as indicated for the same amount of gas.
Not exactly right. "Burns 1.058 times the fuel [claimed]" (your wording) means the same as "claims to burn 0.945 times as much as it actually does" (my original wording). However, I did give the wrong factor. It's not 0.945, but about 0.955 (sometimes 0.956). This deliberate fudge factor on MPG displays is something manufacturers choose---subject to normal manufacturing tolerances, of course.

Your speculation about my odometer is inaccurate. It runs near perfect now. It showed slightly low with the previous tires (of the same nominal size). The speedometer indicates around 1 or 2% (hard to determine exactly with such low-resolution displays) on the high side at middling speeds, so your guess is closer there. Nearly all speedometers exaggerate by design, many worse than this.

My ScanGauge shows the speed the computer "thinks" is actual speed, based on wheel rpm and tire dimensions assumed by the programmers. That's always lower than the intentionally exaggerated speed shown by the speedometer. Both are dependent on tire size. GPS, which is unaffected by tire variations, shows actual speed to be in between the other two opinions.

Last edited:
Just food for thought, I understand that the miles per gallon is a theoretical calculation based on the number of oscillations in the pintle of the fuel injectors and the number of cylinders and calibrated when new. The number of miles is determined by a theoretical calculation based on the distance travelled per tire rotation. Worn tires will change the recording of the miles per rotation, and will effect the mpg number. The accuracy of your mpg will change with tire wear.

Last edited:
Glad I read through this.
thumbsup2.gif

I could easily get interested enough to check my mpg by hand, just never thought of it. Might still do it some time on either/both cars but tire pressure, fuel pump variations and how far I fill the tank (not too sure I'm consistent within meaningful variables) makes me think the 2 mpg or less fudge factor is those few variables totaled up. Kind of a moot point but just the same, maybe fun to take a stab at it and see if either car comes closer than some postings here.

Worst case conditions is our driving reality. Stop and Go , short few miles runs around town, CX-9 likely under 20 mpg and VW wagen low 20's.
I've seen 37 on the hwy with the VW as a best - typically 35. CX-9 was impressive in the mountains at a worst of 28 and sometimes over 30 mpg. Loaded down on family trips / cross country- 24 mpg pushing 80-85 mph wherever I can.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back