Which would you buy - Wix or Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by NHRATA
Originally Posted by DudeNiceRide
I heard recently that Mann-Purolator-Wix took this business from Champion Labs (?). If that's true, you'll have to see what the post-transition M1 filters look like. The ones Champion made were certainly nothing special -- just the brand name "Mobil 1".

That's interesting news , do know when to transition happened

I'd like to see some confirmation of that.

Appears confirmation/proof Wix taking "this business" from Champ Labs...….

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Hello BITOG folks. I hope I'm not hijacking this post thread & that my input will prove useful here.

Re Wix vs M1 filters:

I'm not sworn to any particular filter brand (but am ADVERSE to several, most notably Fram - ANY/ALL Fram). I use Purolator, Bosch (appears a re-branded Purolator), Mann, Mahle, Wix/Napa Gold & M1... price is my determining factor. I'd not exceed x2 oc's re-using the first two lesser brands, but would go x3 or 4 extended oci's with the others, given mostly highway use.

I presently have a Napa Gold/Wix filter on our Accord.... this Wix filter has been in use now for close to 27k mi & three+ years (since 12/2016), with the following oci's.(beginning with the one preceding our ownership):

- 10/2015 -115k mi - Unknown oil, white CarQuest filter*. < prior car ownership >

- 12/2016 - 124,142mi - initial Napa Gold 7356 (Wix) install with M1 5w/20 [approx 9k oci]

- 1/2018 - 131,071mi - oc with M1 oil mix of various viscosities (long story). Filter emptied & reinstalled... 6,929mi oci.

- 5/2019 - 140,740mi - oc with Citgo syn-blend 5w/30. Filter emptied & reinstalled... 9,669mi oci.

- 3/2020 - 151,- - - mi - oc (tonight~tomorrow) with Citgo "full synthetic" 5w/30. NEW M1 filter (purchased x3yrs ago)... 10,340ish mi oci.

Pertinent details ~ '05 Accord 2.4L four cyl in good running condition with documented previous owner-present maintenance history... speedy lube & repair shop oc's with oci's ranging between 4k to 10k, presumably a new cheapo filter each oc. Roughly 70% highway use overall. Daily winter warmups of x3-5min while scraping ice off the windows. First two years of our ownership the car was driven only x6mi each way to work, but as of a year ago the commute increased to 22mi each way. Occasional multi-state highway travel. A quart of oil is consumed & replaced/refilled between 7-8k mi, unless oil changed. My oc's involve very elevated/angled jacking with drain plug out overnight when possible, but at least a few hours... yielding a nearly complete drain (x5qt refill vs 4.5qt per owners manual).

I'll cut the 27k mi Napa Gold/Wix filter open & photograph the guts. I also still have the previous filter (*white CarQuest filter) we got the car with four years ago - it was in use for approx 10k ~ I'll cut it open as well. Photos will be posted here if I'm able to figure out how to do it.

Fyi; yes, I know Citgo oil has gotta be so-so & that the "Full Synthetic" (also "Fully Synthetic") bragidosh is hype, but there was a nice rebate at Benny's (like a miniature Woolworth or K-Mart... out of business over a year now). I've got another two cases of Citgo to get through... but intend to shorten oci's down to 7-8k or when the engine is a quart low.

Apologies for the long post
sleep.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by DudeNiceRide
I heard recently that Mann-Purolator-Wix took this business from Champion Labs (?). If that's true, you'll have to see what the post-transition M1 filters look like. The ones Champion made were certainly nothing special -- just the brand name "Mobil 1".

That's interesting news , do know when to transition happened

I'd like to see some confirmation of that.

Per some chit-chat at the FiltXpo last week in Chicago. I guess since it's merely chit-chat, I should've used the prefix "allegedly" there.

I work in HVAC filtration media, and some of my colleagues work in the automotive markets (a lot of the same materials & medias in both genres). Kind of explains why I'm always in this forum, hehe.

Originally Posted by saaboc
I'm not sworn to any particular filter brand (but am ADVERSE to several, most notably Fram - ANY/ALL Fram).

lol.gif
... But since you've made 3 posts since 2013 then I guess your viewpoint is a bit tainted.

Originally Posted by saaboc
I presently have a Napa Gold/Wix filter on our Accord.... this Wix filter has been in use now for close to 27k mi & three+ years (since 12/2016), with the following oci's.(beginning with the one preceding our ownership):

If I was doing 10K OCIs like you're doing, I wouldn't be running a standard WIX for 27~30K miles. I'd use an Ultra or similar full synthetic filter for 2x 10K OCIs since it's rated for 20K miles.

So the topic M1 still the Champ Labs made filter of which there have been many post use anecdotes posted here. Depending on price and fci I'd have no problem using either. M1 touts itself more as an extended interval filter.

I don't think I've ever used wix - but I use Mobil1 and Fram ultras interchangeably for extended OCI.

Assuming wix and mobil 1 filters were the exact same price, which one would you buy? Would you consider one to be better quality than the other?

I have to ask-where are you finding M1 & Wix the same price? If you're patient, Wix (NAPA Gold) can be gotten for $4 each when the NAPA fleet sale happens-the new (&, IMO, not as good) suffix-A M1 filters are usually well in excess of $10! As far as media & construction, I actually think the Wix/NAPA Gold ones are better.

Wix, I realize it's not much but NAPA is offering AAA members 20% off your purchase till the end of March. I just bought a NAPA Gold (Wix) the other day.

Last edited:
I can find the M1 extended performance oil filters for $9.97 for most any application at my local Walmart...if they have the Fram Ultra, it is usually $1.00 less...

I try to buy my Mobil 1 oil filters when Mobil is running their rebates which usually are $5.00 off that...makes the choice easier for me although I'd bet Fram runs similar rebates on their filters or like above, Napa Auto rebates might be nice

Good luck with your choice

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back