New Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, or Subaru Ascent?

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
I considered all of the above and settled on Palisade. Picked up a Limited last Saturday.

It wasn't close.

I guess someone has to be the guinea pig.

Originally Posted by Bowline_Bandit
We test drove a 2019 for about 15 minutes on various back roads of Central Mass. Didn't find anything not to like about it. Then again most of my day is spent in log trucks and forestry equipment so I'm pretty numb to hard shift points and crappy transmission performance

User StevieC on here had one for a while and the trans drove him nuts. Not initially, but after he had it for a while.

Originally Posted by SoNic67
I always stay away from:
1. Turbo
2. CVT transmissions of any/all brands.
3. Small 4 cylinder engines pushed to make lots of HP. For a bigger car V6 is a must, if you plan to keep it long term.
4. Honda transmissions. No matter what kind.

I have a Ford Explorer V8 with 200k miles, a Mercury Sable with 160k miles, a Hyundai Sonata with 140k miles, a Toyota RAV4 with 70k miles and a Kia Soul with 80k miles, all maintained by me. I help friends too, so I kind of what a car is made of.

The NEW Explorer has quality issues and it is way over-priced. IMHO.

The OP is getting showered with "what I would get" opinions but that is standard with these kinds of threads.

Which vehicle fits you the best? In the end it comes down to what suits you and not the rest of us.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The OP is getting showered with "what I would get" opinions but that is standard with these kinds of threads.

Which vehicle fits you the best? In the end it comes down to what suits you and not the rest of us.

He or She clearly wants our opinion or they wouldn't have started the thread. Unless you're talking about people suggesting cars not mentioned by OP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gizzsdad
I considered all of the above and settled on Palisade. Picked up a Limited last Saturday.

It wasn't close.

I would say... congrats!
I hope you got the one with the AWD and supplemental transmission cooler (even if you don't plan of towing).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
The NEW Explorer has quality issues and it is way over-priced. IMHO.

Sadly that goes for any new vehicle. They added all those electronic nannies, they need to cut costs somewhere or they become "overpriced". Also, the fuel economy craze resulted in Direct Injection engines (fouling the valves) designed with low friction piston rings (less tension, less wall pressure, less friction, but more oil pass-trough), use of 5W-20 or even 0W-16 oils that look like water, transmissions with undersized torque converters and thinner fluids (Low Viscosity) to minimize the losses or CVT's...
All my cars are 2011 or older. I hope I won't need to replace them soon.

Last edited:
keep in mind, the responses you'll get on this forum are pretty biased against any technology that's been invented in the last 40 years. I'm seriously surprised no one has suggested a Crown Vic and converting the trunk to a third row....

CVT's and turbos are fine. I have several neighbors with high-mileage CVT's in their Subarus and they're not exploding. I see a ton of Ascents here as well and folks seem to like them, but then again, this is Seattle...

The Palisade really does look like one of the best vehicles in this category. If you like it, I'd expand your search a bit. When I bought my Golf R, there were several dealers asking ridiculous amounts over MSRP as well and refusing to budge, and I still ended up getting it for 2K under. Some dealer out there will want the business. Even if you have to travel a bit, if you're going to have the vehicle for 10 years, it's worth a day or two of inconvenience, imo.

Originally Posted by JOD

CVT's and turbos are fine.

Forums are full of people crying otherwise. But hey... what do they know? They just changed one, two transmissions or turbos.

Last edited:
The OP bought the Palisade Limited already, like I copied above.

oh, nice--he took my advice posthumously!

seems like a solid choice. I know 2 folks who have them and love them.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
How did you find the transmission in the Highlander? I know there have been many complaints about it, so that would be a concern for me. I'd probably lean toward the Honda based on that.

Most of the issues with the 8-speed are focused on shift quality complaints, not actual mechanical issues. There have been improvements made but the transmission still does not shift as well as a ZF 8-speed, for instance.

Between the Pilot and the Highlander, the Highlander requires plugs more often (60K intervals) but does not require the t-belt service and valve adjustment every ~100k. The Highlander transmission is also lower maintenance and in general, I have notice that Toyota quality is noticeably better than Honda especially on the recent models.

I always stay away from:
1. Turbo
2. CVT transmissions of any/all brands.
3. Small 4 cylinder engines pushed to make lots of HP. For a bigger car V6 is a must, if you plan to keep it long term.
4. Honda transmissions. No matter what kind.

I have a Ford Explorer V8 with 200k miles, a Mercury Sable with 160k miles, a Hyundai Sonata with 140k miles, a Toyota RAV4 with 70k miles and a Kia Soul with 80k miles, all maintained by me. I help friends too, so I kind of what a car is made of.

Well they don't make Ford Fairlane station wagons anymore with the peeling fake wood trim.

Thank goodness for that.

Originally Posted by JOD
The OP bought the Palisade Limited already, like I copied above.

oh, nice--he took my advice posthumously!

seems like a solid choice. I know 2 folks who have them and love them.

OP didn't make a decision yet as this thread was started today. That was someone else who bought a Palisade.

I ( my wife ... ) owns a 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L Nav AWD, with the 6-speed auto.

In almost 4 years / 50k miles, nothing has broken. NOTHING.

No rattles or squeaks or anything.

Car is fantastic in the winter. I use winter tires, and have never once been close to being stuck.

This trim is one below the Touring / Elite, which uses the 9 speed transmission. It still comes with Nav, factory remote start, rear-view camera, heated leather seats front and back, heated steering wheel, fold flat 3rd row seats, sunroof, power rear hatch etc.

What I don't like about it ...

Stereo is decidedly average.

Power hatch is slow. I really don't get why people think they need this feature ... I can open the hatch on my Subaru in like 1 second with near zero effort.

Some of the safety nannies are silly, and don't work 100 % of the time. Lane departure works about 50 % of the time, and you will sometimes get a brake warning about the car in front if you approach just a little bit fast. I turn off what I can when I drive it ...

The Pilot replaced a 2007 Honda Odyssey that went 10 years / 150k miles with no major issues. I wanted to get another Odyssey, but the wife wanted an SUV ...

Originally Posted by geeman789

Car is fantastic in the winter. I use winter tires, and have never once been close to being stuck.

This trim is one below the Touring / Elite, which uses the 9 speed transmission. It still comes with Nav, factory remote start, rear-view camera, heated leather seats front and back, heated steering wheel, fold flat 3rd row seats, sunroof, power rear hatch etc.

Power hatch is slow. I really don't get why people think they need this feature ... I can open the hatch on my Subaru in like 1 second with near zero effort.

Some of the safety nannies are silly, and don't work 100 % of the time. Lane departure works about 50 % of the time, and you will sometimes get a brake warning about the car in front if you approach just a little bit fast. I turn off what I can when I drive it ...

The Pilot replaced a 2007 Honda Odyssey that went 10 years / 150k miles with no major issues. I wanted to get another Odyssey, but the wife wanted an SUV ...

No fuel injector issues? That's surprising. The early Pilots for the current generation were plagued with fuel injector issues and they are pricey to fix.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by geeman789

No fuel injector issues? That's surprising. The early Pilots for the current generation were plagued with fuel injector issues and they are pricey to fix.

Not under warranty with 40K and only 4 years old?

All of the Sorento lovers, I assume you have the V6 as the 2.4L was the Theta II disaster? Can the V6's go 200K+?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jayjr1105

Not under warranty with 40K and only 4 years old?

Not sure about Canada, but in some US states it is only covered under 3/36. The injectors are only sold as a complete set and the repair can be as much as $1500.

Back