Which Cleaner for Old 6-cyl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old carb on my 1951 GMC, with 270 motor and WA-1 Carter, seems to be getting a bit more bogged down these days. I haven't cleaned it since I bought the rebuilt carb 7 years ago.

Question: what gas additive should I use to clean the fuel line and the carb intake/jets?

Or is regular Chevron gas enough?

GL

Last edited:
In our old trucks, we used to undo the fuel line at the tank and carb and blow air through. All kinds of junk came out.
Good luck.

I would pour a can or two of Berryman B-12 into your gas tank and drive it clean. I add it to my riding and push lawn mowers and do not have any fuel related problems. I also ran B-12 in a 1980 Chevy Impala with a Quadrajet in the late 1990s to mid 2000s with great results as well.

Years ago i helped trackside at scca races. One of the cars had a ca4b and sure enough my boss pulled the jets and cleaned them. This also helped

At the very least, it's a good idea to use carb clean to simply clean the venturi, throttle plate and choke. Varnish can build up and change the air/fuel mixture.

You can always try different types of fuel additives. But I agree, Berryman B12 is pretty capable stuff.

Originally Posted by chemman
I would pour a can or two of Berryman B-12 into your gas tank and drive it clean. I add it to my riding and push lawn mowers and do not have any fuel related problems. I also ran B-12 in a 1980 Chevy Impala with a Quadrajet in the late 1990s to mid 2000s with great results as well.

This !!!!

While the Carter is a reliable carb the Rochester was more fuel efficient. The Carter is easier to rebuild tho and that would be what I would do. The Berryman and the chevron are both good.with the Berryman being my choice carbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back