Why are NGK platinum plugs more expensive than their iridium or ruthenium plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my 2008 Mercedes C300.

Platinum NGK 4288 ( PLKR7A) $8.26
Ruthenium NGK 94705 $7.89
Iridium NGK 93911 $5.16

The manual calls for the Platinums but that was written 12 years ago. Any reason no to go with the other two?

Iridiums vary in price. Make sure you're pricing out the laser iridiums from NGK. Those are usually $8 or more. I would have no issue going with the higher quality metal plug FWIW.

The Platinum metal is more expensive
thankyou2.gif

JK, it's mostly about mark-ups of the vendors and demand/supply algorithms.

The Iridium plugs, 93911, are a single Iridium plug. So they are rated the same as a single platinum plug, 60k. Denso also has a single iridium plug as well. Its not obvious they are single metal based. I do not use them because of that.

The Platinum plug you listed is a dual platinum and also I believe the original plug for some cars. So people will see the matching part number and its also good for 100k.

Ruthenium has not been out very long. They are rated for 100k but not sure if the lower price is due to being new or something else.

Oh those 3 the Ruthenium would get my vote. Lower price and 100k+ rating.

Originally Posted by SoNic67
The Platinum metal is more expensive
thankyou2.gif

JK, it's mostly about mark-ups of the vendors and demand/supply algorithms.

Not JK, called NGK techline and they said the same thing. The metals are why the platinums are most expensive. Decided on the Iridiums, lowest price and one step above the original platinums.

Platinum is cheaper, but the PL plugs have PL in them. Ir plugs have very, very little Ir in them as a part of an alloy

Originally Posted by Jimzz
The Iridium plugs, 93911, are a single Iridium plug. So they are rated the same as a single platinum plug, 60k. Denso also has a single iridium plug as well. Its not obvious they are single metal based. I do not use them because of that.

The Platinum plug you listed is a dual platinum and also I believe the original plug for some cars. So people will see the matching part number and its also good for 100k.

Ruthenium has not been out very long. They are rated for 100k but not sure if the lower price is due to being new or something else.

When did they start making their plugs worse? Single platinum has been good for 100K mi for 20+ years.

wow, right from their site...

Does this really include every part you sell?

Yes, our lifetime replacement covers every single part we sell, including wear-and-tear items like brake pads, spark plugs, gaskets, rotors, filters, belts, wiper blades, etc. This covers every part across every brand, including OE, OEM, genuine, performance, aftermarket, and re-manufactured parts.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Not JK, called NGK techline and they said the same thing. The metals are why the platinums are most expensive. Decided on the Iridiums, lowest price and one step above the original platinums.

You beat me to it..... Platinum is still considered a precious metal and becoming scarcer so the plug makers looked for alternative materials. They found Ruthenium works just as well and there's (currently) an abundant supply.

Originally Posted by Dave9

When did they start making their plugs worse? Single platinum has been good for 100K mi for 20+ years.

Single platinum has always been rated for 60k. It was double platinum thats rated for 100k. If you take the single platinum/iridum out at 50k and re-gap then they can probably make it to 100k. Its the nickle ground that wears out in single premium metal plugs.
Ford use to use a lot of single platinum plugs. Worked on a lot of fords with misfire in the 80-100k range as many thought 100k was ok.

Denso says their Iridium Power plugs (single iridium) are only good for up to 12,500miles (20,000km)
Page 48
https://www.denso.com/global/en/pro...ts-and-accessories/plug/pdf/t-manual.pdf

Those are NGK's Laser Platinum, which have platinum pucks on both the ground electrode and the center electrode. The equivalent NGK iridium plug would be their Laser Iridium, which contains a platinum puck on the ground electrode and a thin wire iridium center electrode. I can assure you that's a reasonable price of an NGK Laser Platinum. NGK Laser Platinums (also Denso equivalents) are specified for my wife's 2002 Civic, and I paid about $40 for a 4-pack.

The NGK Laser Iridium equivalent is the ILKR7B8.

https://www.amazon.com/NGK-ILKR7B8-Spark-Plug/dp/B003B3ECWU

Originally Posted by Dave9

Single platinum has always been rated for 60k. It was double platinum thats rated for 100k. If you take the single platinum/iridum out at 50k and re-gap then they can probably make it to 100k. Its the nickle ground that wears out in single premium metal plugs.
Ford use to use a lot of single platinum plugs. Worked on a lot of fords with misfire in the 80-100k range as many thought 100k was ok.

100K mi was okay for my factory Ford single platinums. No misfires till around then, and practically no ground electrode wear. When I changed them it turned out that I needed a new wire but did both right after 100K mi anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
wow, right from their site...

Does this really include every part you sell?

Yes, our lifetime replacement covers every single part we sell, including wear-and-tear items like brake pads, spark plugs, gaskets, rotors, filters, belts, wiper blades, etc. This covers every part across every brand, including OE, OEM, genuine, performance, aftermarket, and re-manufactured parts.

They stand behind it! I had a Corteco engine mount go soft but not dead after 120K and they send me a new one for nothing. They do charge a small up charge on some parts but if the car is a keeper its worth it.
Its hard to beat ESAAB for most things SAAB though. For OE VW the dealer (long time regular BTB customer) gives me a great price and has it in 24 at the latest with just a phone call and they deliver it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back