Judge approves Ford transmission class action lawsuit settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good! Ford should never have allowed that to ride-out as long as it did and the units should have all been recalled and replaced with a traditional, and properly sorted, automatic.

Awesome, although the criteria basically borders a lot of lemon laws already.

Ford could've pulled a GM and filed for bankruptcy and then be protected as "new Ford" just as "new GM" was protected from higher damages from their deadly ignition switches. (No, I don't support a move like that)

Ford (and other manufacturers) should be forced to buyback problematic vehicles plus a certain amount for punitive damages. That's the only way to keep auto manufacturers from continually producing AND selling vehicles that they know are lemons.

Originally Posted by Kira
Man! What is it with Ford and automatic transmissions?

The wet DCT in Europe is fine, it's the garbage dry DCT the US got in order to satisfy the Ford bean counters and executives.

Owned a 2012 Focus with this gearbox. After two clutch pack replacements and countless reprograms I dumped it in 2017 with 44k. To me it was obvious for years that this thing was not fixable; can't imagine how Ford thought it could keep using it without consequences.

While I may not get financial compensation, the cost to Ford in my case is that a reliable Ford buyer has decisively abandoned the brand. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Last edited:
This is 2020, not 1920. Transmissions should not be doing this with the tech we have. They may have saved a couple of bucks on the front end but cost them $500m.

Now Ford stock which is already at a 10 year low will drop even more, and Geely will pay cash to buy pthe company.

A relative has a stick shift Focus from that timeframe, looks like auto tranny only. I think that Focus turned him off Ford forever.

It's not an automatic. It's ford's attempt at a dry plate dual clutch transmission. Ford's slush box autos are actually pretty good. This was a very poor business decision by the NA group. Those cars are rock solid in Europe with the manual transmission or wet clutch DCT. I drove the euro standard version from Paris to Schoonebeek, Holland for work. It was a decent car.

Nothing...my 4R100 in my 98 4x4 F150 has an issue free 200K on it

Originally Posted by thastinger

Your F150 truck didn't come with a 4R100 from the factory. Unless you've changed it out, yours has the 4R70. The 4R100 was developed for the Lightning and also used in Super Duty's.

Originally Posted by thastinger

I have owned nothing but Fords for the last 35 years with no trans problems. My first Ford was a 69 Fairlane. I sold it with 110 K and that trans was fine. Now my 77 Chevy was another problem with the 200 Metric trans. That was junk with it's first re-build at 8K. I sold it with 100K and the trans was going south then. What about Honda trans? I know two people with 2014 Toyota Siena vans and both had trans failure by 80K.

I'll ask the driver of the E450 public transport service small bus which makes endless loops all day long, through hill and dale. stopping all along the way seven days a week. You would think by now they would have learned what's up with Ford transmissions and not buy them. But no, there they are endlessly going.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Good hopefully they'll learn from it.

Probably not realistically.

(Probably a bit selfish:) I'd be 100% fine to see Ford fall in the hole and disintegrate while their executives that approved this (and knew of the issue) get publicly humiliated.

E4OD, the worst 4 speed automatic ever built for the first 3 years of its production. The reason I will never spend a cent on another Ford product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back