T6 15w40 - what's to cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be traveling to a colder climate for a week soon and currently am using Rotella T6 15w40 syn. Anticipated temps will be in the teens, possibly single digits for low, and 30-40s for the high. I'd prefer to keep the oil in there longer to run this oci out since I barely have like 2k miles on the oil right now. I am more concerned about cold start up wear.

Something to consider: truck has a recall for the block heater (L5P Duramax) so I might not be able to plug in if I can't get the repair in time.

Truck is 2018 Silverado 2500hd L5P Duramax

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Shell says T6 15w40 has good pumpability to +5 F. Also, I never plug in until the temp is -5 F. Plus, take a look at the anticipated low. It's probably in the middle of the night.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Ive read the same, either 5 or 0 degrees is minimum. I think youll be fine unless its a cold soak at those numbers for over 24 hours.

Originally Posted by Audios
Ive read the same, either 5 or 0 degrees is minimum. I think youll be fine unless its a cold soak at those numbers for over 24 hours.

It'll likely be a cold soak a few times

Many many guys run year around up in north personaly I wouldn't worry unless teps were only going to be highs in single didgits you might see overnight lows dip down but not below 0F. Curious how far north you are going.

Originally Posted by dave123
Many many guys run year around up in north personaly I wouldn't worry unless teps were only going to be highs in single didgits you might see overnight lows dip down but not below 0F. Curious how far north you are going.

A Texan going to a colder climate is Oklahoma !
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by dave123

A Texan going to a colder climate is Oklahoma !
banana2.gif

So true

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Are you going to reveal where you are headed? It's not Winnipeg is it?
laugh.gif

Headed to the mountains, around 11,000ft

if you are worried about it just change it out now for some 5w40.

otherwise I wouldnt want it below 5f daytime temps... unless you can plug in for morning starts.

I know in my tractor I used to plow with delvac 15w40 is honey at 10f-15f.

edit
t6 15w40 (if that is what you have and not t4 or t5)
is a full syn 15w40 so unless you are under 0f and cant plug in I'd probably leave it in.
fwiw they claim superior pumpability and flow at -15C vs conventional.

There is a recall on 17 and newer L5P Duramax block heaters. My personal cutoff for 15W40 is about 0F without using the block heater on LMLs.

Originally Posted by userfriendly
There is a recall on 17 and newer L5P Duramax block heaters. My personal cutoff for 15W40 is about 0F without using the block heater on LMLs.

Whatever repair parts available are going to Canadian and far Northern vehicles. A Texas DMax isn't going to see one.

Originally Posted by Rand
if you are worried about it just change it out now for some 5w40.

otherwise I wouldnt want it below 5f daytime temps... unless you can plug in for morning starts.

I know in my tractor I used to plow with delvac 15w40 is honey at 10f-15f.

edit
t6 15w40 (if that is what you have and not t4 or t5)
is a full syn 15w40 so unless you are under 0f and cant plug in I'd probably leave it in.
fwiw they claim superior pumpability and flow at -15C vs conventional.

Yeah t6 15w40, the new one, that's what I'm running

I never plug my LML in due to a it leaking and losing antifreeze. I run conventional 15w40, and have never had an issue with startup. I have seen overnight temperatures as low as -15 on the dash. I use howe's and XDP polar d in the winter. I would run your current oil fill with confidence.

Under the circumstances described, I'd be inclined to change it to a 5W40. Just in case you run into colder than expected temps.

Originally Posted by Olas
15w is appropriate down to minus 20 celsius (otr minus 4 farenheit)

will it get that cold at your location?

Hard to say honestly. I'm headed to NM in the mountains for a ski trip. Statistical weather data shows the area gets to about the mid teens but it's possible it could drop to single digits. Getting nervous cause I have to change the oil today or tomorrow since we're leaving Sunday.

Don't think twice. Run the 15w40. Already said, many people I know run conventional 15w40 all year up here. When it gets too cold, they use a block heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back