What do we think of the Jeep Renegade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 4WD
You think they only do it with FCA … ?

It's the easiest one to pick out since their haters are most vocal. Adding GM, Ford, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, et al would have taken up too much space on the meme
lol.gif

Jeep has become an unreliable brand. People still love their Jeeps. Not sure how much to blame on Fiat since my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee had the 4.0 engine and my engine had the piston skirt failure causing catastrophic engine failure. Others of same year had #331 head crack.

I dunno, I'd go with some more domestic, especially if parts are proving hard to find. A warranty is nice, but only if they give you a rental car for each time it's broken down. That said, maybe it's just a fluke. And it seems that you do have other vehicles with which to get by, in case of prolonged breakage, so maybe reliable isn't as important as the other things the vehicle does for you.

Had a 2012 FWD Patriot 5-speed which is the same thing, and even with 120,000 miles it was still very tight and solid. It had the smaller 2.0L engine and could still tow a substantial amount and get 30 mpg unloaded. Don't let the Jeep haters here influence you too much.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
I would buy a Jeep with the 3.6 engine and probably go with a Grand Cherokee which is more money but they ride really nice.

Someone buying a little Fiat Renegade with a 1.4 probably isn't going to want a GC with a 3.6 and did you notice the OP is in the United Kingdom where gas is like $10/gallon? Are GCs even readily available there?

No love for FiatJeeps on BITOG and reported reliability isn't good. A refund and some research on reliable brands available in your market might be best.

Originally Posted by Donald
Jeep has become an unreliable brand.... my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee had the 4.0 engine and my engine had the piston skirt failure causing catastrophic engine failure.

After how many years and miles of driving it?

Originally Posted by 4WD
You think they only do it with FCA … ?

No, you are correct, the same tribe likes to trash talk anything that isn't within their "club" for the most part. But there is a sub-group that is very vocally anti-FCA, typically wasting space with zero-value posts and subsequently derailing threads that had potential to go a wholly different direction without their presence.

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
Hi All,

My Wife and I purchased a 2018 Jeep Renegade around two weeks ago. It's a 1.6 e.Torq (basically a Tritec engine with a 16v head) with a 5 speed manual box and front wheel drive only. It's only got 9,000miles on the clock and is absolutely immaculate. 24 hours after purchasing I was pulling off (gently might I add) and the clutch plate decided it didn't want to be in the gearbox any more.

The car has spent two weeks in a Jeep dealer and we've been told it's going to be another 4 weeks before it can be repaired.

The dealer we purchased the car off has been fantastic. They put us in a hire car as soon as the car broke, and call us nearly daily to make sure everything is okay. They have given us three options.

Option 1, They've offered to leave us in the hire car until the Jeep is fixed and offered to extend the warranty to 5 years/100k over the standard 3 year/60k manufacturers warranty.

Option 2, we can have a full refund.

Option 3, they have a 2017 Renegade in stock with 18k on the clock which we can 'swap' for. They will extend the warranty to 5 years/100k and give us a £2000 refund.

We are siding with option 3 at the moment. The first Renegade we purchased is Solar Yellow and the 2017 is Omaha Orange. Both are exactly the same specification.

Generally, are the Renegades reliable? Or should we just take the refund and look for something else?

It really comes down to how much you like the vehicle. I'd say that generally, the reliability data on this unit isn't great, but it doesn't look like the sample size is huge either. The review in the TrueDelta link Ws6 posted for a 2018 was actually quite good, so
21.gif
Being based on a Fiat, there really isn't anything "Jeep" about the vehicle other than the badge so I'd expect legitimate critiques of the 500 family would apply here as well.

If you are confident in the dealer's competency and really like the vehicle, then I'd keep the 2018. If you doubt it, and still want one, the 2017 sounds like it might be a safer bet. If no to both of those things, then option #2 is definitely the path of least resistance assuming you have something else in mind that would fit the bill.

Originally Posted by Danno
Originally Posted by Donald
Jeep has become an unreliable brand.... my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee had the 4.0 engine and my engine had the piston skirt failure causing catastrophic engine failure.

After how many years and miles of driving it?

Around 100K miles and 10 years old.

I loved the Jeep, but hated the $2800 for a reman engine.

The other item was a pressure sensor governor in the transmission that had to be replaced twice at $500 a pop.

And the substandard Teves calipers that Jeep sold an upgrade to Akebono calipers for.

Jeep's track record for reliability is abysmal especially since Fiat. Take the refund find something else.

Option 2 (get out now).

I avoid the whole "Jeep haters" or "FCA haters" thing.

What I see in No. America is that Jeep lovers are possessed zombies.
Every historical mention of the Jeep name WHEN PART OF ANOTHER CAR COMPANY points out that Jeep is the value adder due to its loyal customer base. This inordinate admiration is reflected in Jeeps' outlandish pricing. It's obscene.

Back when they were steel boxes with engines and axles you could make out. Stories of good 1994 Cherokees don't help you any.

You got one made during a careless era or one where bad parts were delivered or something. It was returned for a reason. You bought someone else's headache.

Get out and clear the area now.

If you like the Renegade, keep yours. at least you know it's been cared for. Many non-Jeep owners bash Jeep reliability and quality. statistically there is likely truth to that. Many Jeep owners love theirs and would buy another. We have had multiple Jeeps and have one now. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Renegade, but I also have the tools and ability to fix most things myself. If you want reliability, go get a Honda or Toyota. if you like the Renegade, keep yours.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Had a 2012 FWD Patriot 5-speed which is the same thing, and even with 120,000 miles it was still very tight and solid. It had the smaller 2.0L engine and could still tow a substantial amount and get 30 mpg unloaded. Don't let the Jeep haters here influence you too much.

The Pat and the Rene are different animals for these later model years.

I wouldn't consider either of these cars a Jeep. They Just have the jeep badge on them.

This is a Fiat 500x re-body.

This engine is used in early Mini Cooper JCW models

Stateside this is the better handling, peppier CUV** but with a 2.4multiaire and a 9 speed autobox. They go out the door for about 24,000e

** the autobox has gears through 60 where most competition are geared too tall and try with gears to sixty. This is sluggish. and its. Stupid engineering.!

A Bad clutch may be the only thing that ever goes wrong on ride. If the mechanics are good you may have a good car after its repaired. Previous owner may have been a poor learner on the stick.

All cars are roll of the dice - the grass is not always greener.
Back in the Ninties I went through 6 cars in one year's time trying to get a good one - and most of them were NEW. Problem ?- I was stuck in Ford Land at the time Trotman and Nasser were at the helm. Trotmann brought good "euro" handling and steering sensibilities to the brand but with declining quality, then . Nasser brought "Quality is Job Zero". No one Approached the Greatness of H. Ford II.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
I would buy a Jeep with the 3.6 engine and probably go with a Grand Cherokee which is more money but they ride really nice.

Someone buying a little Fiat Renegade with a 1.4 probably isn't going to want a GC with a 3.6 and did you notice the OP is in the United Kingdom where gas is like $10/gallon? Are GCs even readily available there?

No love for FiatJeeps on BITOG and reported reliability isn't good. A refund and some research on reliable brands available in your market might be best.

Finally, beside Olas, somebody gets it...

Also, do they have additional taxes based on engine size/volume?

OP, like Overkill said, if you like the vehicle (and you got to drive it!!!) and you see (and heard = customer reviews) good things of the dealer, plus there are more than 10 vehicles of that type on the road in your area, choose based on engine, driving experience and seat time, not vehicle color.

If unsure of any 2 criteria, option 2 + a different wagon/estate/mini-minivan with tall chairs

I've owned Jeeps (older ones) and my extended family has quite a few Jeeps new and old. Even as a Jeep fan, I wouldn't buy a Patriot or a Renegade.

The new Jeep Compass is the same FIAT 500X platform though built in Toluca, Mexico and re-bodied to look like a mini Cherokee.

Now, Fiat Melfi Italy Manufacturing.

where Assembly is state of the art.

That leaves supplier quality ( and engineering DFM and for LTR ) as the determiner of rel and qual.

You can skip to the middle, sorry music is annoying and very loud!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7mhfPxN1QU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back