Mobil 1 0w/30 2009 Honda Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first sample from my son's Odyssey with 150k miles on it. He's had the vehicle for the last 50k. I'd been hearing what I thought might be the start of a rod knock so I wanted to see if anything was showing up in an oil analysis. Happily, seems to look just fine, don't you think? I suspect the noise I've been hearing might just be a valve set too loose. We had the valves adjusted when we had the timing belt changed at 100k. He changes the oil whenever the OLM goes off, usually a bit longer than this but they do a fair amount of short tripping to the kids schools, etc. This engine does NOT have the VCM option so that's a plus I think...

09 ODYSSEY-200216.jpg

I've found there is a fine line with the JSeries valve adjustments. It doesn't take much erring towards the loose side of the tolerance to make them a bit noisy. Won't hurt anything. The EGR valve and injectors also make a fair amount of noise. None of that is an issue though. No VCM, properly cared for will last a good long time.

Thanks for your report. I think I've finally seen enough good examples to run 5w30 in my 05 Odyssey this summer. What made him try a 30 weight to begin with? Also, do you know what filter he used?

He's been running 20 weights till recently. I talked him into the 30 weight when we noticed the slight noise. Plus, based on everything I've seen on BITOG, most V6 engines do very well with 30 wt. oil, especially the ones with long cam chains. (I realize this motor has a belt, not chain!) But overall, they just seem to be tougher on oil than some of the 4 cylinders. I've owned a couple of the K24 Honda 4 cylinder motors and those things will do just fine on any type of oil!

Filter was a Napa Gold this time around but we've used Honda filters in the past.

Non-VCM J-Series really doesn't care much what oil you put in it. My 2003 has had everything from 10w-30 to 0w-20. Still runs like a top with only about 1/2qt usage over 8k miles.

In 09 the only Van that had VCM were the EX-L's and Touring Models. 'Lesser' Models had the regular J35A6. No VCM on those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back