Passenger side air vents are significantly colder than driver’s side vents

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015 Subaru Crosstrek with 59K miles. I have four a/c vents on the dash. The two on the passenger side are putting out air that is considerably colder than the two on the driver's side.

This is NOT a dual climate control system. I checked the air mix actuator behind the glove compartment and it rotates when I adjust the temperature up and down. The mode actuator rotates as well when selecting different modes.

I can't see this being a low refrigerant issue as the two passenger side vents put out really cold air. I would say the difference between the two sides is 15 to 20 degrees, give or take a few.

Your thoughts?

Low charge can cause that. The evaporator is on the pass. side, so it'd make sense for a low charge system to have colder air on that side versus the other.

Originally Posted by mclasser
Low charge can cause that. The evaporator is on the pass. side, so it'd make sense for a low charge system to have colder air on that side versus the other.

Thank you.

What does everyone think of the AC Pro DIY recharge cans you can buy at the local parts store? It's a band aid but it'll let me know how big the leak is.

It's a 2015 car... find someone who can fix it right, JMO.

If you're trying to limp along an old beater that is just about ready for the junkyard, then it's another story, again IMO.

Originally Posted by Jeep_Riot

Thank you.

What does everyone think of the AC Pro DIY recharge cans you can buy at the local parts store? It's a band aid but it'll let me know how big the leak is.

No way Jose on the parts store cans. They only show the low side pressure which isn't gonna tell you much.

If you can't check with real gauges, take it to a mechanic that can find the source of the leak if it has one. Being 5 years old, it might just need a recharge and be normal.

[/quote]
Being 5 years old, it might just need a recharge and be normal. [/quote]

HVAC systems are closed loop systems. If it's missing refrigerant than it has a leak, no? Is it normal for a system to lose refrigerant without the system being "broken"?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Thank you.

Those cans are grossly overpriced. Get the cheap ones at Walmart, a HF gauge set, and a can tap at the auto parts store.

[/quote]
Being 5 years old, it might just need a recharge and be normal.

HVAC systems are closed loop systems. If it's missing refrigerant than it has a leak, no? Is it normal for a system to lose refrigerant without the system being "broken"?

Thanks.[/quote]

Technically yes. But if takes 5 years for it to leak out, you could be fine with just adding a can and be all set for another 5 years. Or you could find the leak and be set for 10+ years? Assuming you get that lucky...

Thanks.

I don't think the seals can be 100% absolutely perfect. 5-6 year old and needs a little refrigerant, not too bad.

$100 to have it recharged and be good for 5-6 more years sounds like a deal to me.

The ducting that feeds air to the drivers side vent is damaged/disconnected/otherwise incorrect.
The ducting that feeds air to the passenger side vent is in good condition, sealed and not leaking.

Open the passenger side front window and the drivers side rear window and you get a nice crossflow of air without the 'buffeting' you can feel if a back window is open in isolation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back