Empty house without kid or cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Originally Posted by 14Accent
The nice thing about cats is they don't require much attention. They appreciate when you're around, yet are perfectly content to be left alone as long as they have provisions. Just make sure it has a dedicated scratching post and plenty of water.

An empty house really can be the quietest place in the world...

I'm the official cat box attendant at our house and advise that you keep the poop and clumps picked out daily. Cats are fastidious and like clean facilities just like humans. Change the box once a month and your cat will appreciated the accommodations.

The late great Marie-Antoinette would use the bathtub if she thought the box was too dirty for her royal paws. When you think about it, it makes a kind of sense, and is a lot easier for the cat's servant to clean up.

Originally Posted by vavavroom
My son went off to unversity at the other coast last fall. Since I had to leave the country on an assignment for a few months, my son took our cat with him I don't want to uproot the cat and we have decided the cat will live with my son at least until he's done with uni. The last few months have been really crazy and now that I've come back from a couple weeks on vacation, I really notice the empty house. I'm starting my new job on Monday and I expect to be quite busy. Still, I think I may go see if I can get another cat.

The SPCA or other shelters (in Denver the local shelter was called the "Dumb Friends League") will always have cats looking for homes. Everybody wants a kitten, but an adult cat 2-3 years old or more has already settled into his personality and won't be as demandingly playful (read: big PITA at 2 am).

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Originally Posted by 14Accent
The nice thing about cats is they don't require much attention. They appreciate when you're around, yet are perfectly content to be left alone as long as they have provisions. Just make sure it has a dedicated scratching post and plenty of water.

An empty house really can be the quietest place in the world...

I'm the official cat box attendant at our house and advise that you keep the poop and clumps picked out daily. Cats are fastidious and like clean facilities just like humans. Change the box once a month and your cat will appreciated the accommodations.

Of course, the litter needs to be scooped daily. And the litter needs to be replaced frequently. Even clumping litter should never be used longer than one week. Kitty might get a It UTI otherwise. I replace the litter usually twice a week. If a cat doesn't like the litter box's condition, he or she will go elsewhere.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Tell the son that you want your 🈠back.

It's his cat, too. Moving the cat once cross-country and having him settle into a new place was enough trauma. I still get to see both, my son and the cat, at least once a month. My job takes me to the right coast every other week or so.

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
Originally Posted by vavavroom
My son went off to unversity at the other coast last fall. Since I had to leave the country on an assignment for a few months, my son took our cat with him I don't want to uproot the cat and we have decided the cat will live with my son at least until he's done with uni. The last few months have been really crazy and now that I've come back from a couple weeks on vacation, I really notice the empty house. I'm starting my new job on Monday and I expect to be quite busy. Still, I think I may go see if I can get another cat.

The SPCA or other shelters (in Denver the local shelter was called the "Dumb Friends League") will always have cats looking for homes. Everybody wants a kitten, but an adult cat 2-3 years old or more has already settled into his personality and won't be as demandingly playful (read: big PITA at 2 am).

Please go back to page one of this thread and find the link I posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back