Where to buy reman trans for 05 Accord 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
Sounds like you might have a grounding issue.

What I was thinking . If not a ground problem , at least some sort of other electrical problem .

I have been doing this a long time. Consider OEM or OEM remanufactured axles. I have not had much luck with the aftermarket options, both reman and new. They all seem to suffer from poor tripod joints/bearings. You will realize this when you get the sensation of a low frequency shaking of the vehicle under acceleration. Even the Honda dealer I frequent refuses to install aftermarket axles after endless comebacks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JamesBond
Now I remember why I come here. Your info is very helpful. The shop called...broken axle. It's a daily driven Midwest vehicle but has almost zero rust so I'm surprised the axle could rust. They recommend replacing both, normally I would only do the broken one but after this, both will probably be done. I'll post up if the shop does it or I do.

Good to hear it is not the transmission ( I was totally wrong in suggesting an electrical issue . ) The half shafts should be considerably cheaper than a transmission .

Shame it is not still in warranty ! :-(

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Get it checked out by a professional, Don't just assume the transmission needs replaced.

Does the speedometer go up when you place it in drive, Or do all the gauges really go nuts?

The "Car rolls in Park" has me thinking a Mechanical Issue instead of an Electrical issue.

This.

Don't assume it's the transmission.

oops

Last edited:
Yes I suspected an electrical issue with the odd behavior of the gauges and the report of the wipers acting strange (probably bumped in the commotion) and wondered if it caused the transmission to not know what to do. But the gauges and rolling in park that I experienced had me confused. I quickly checked prices for Honda axles online and they were almost $500 each, and while the car might be worth it, that's a lot in parts.

Yes I suspected an electrical issue with the odd behavior of the gauges and the report of the wipers acting strange (probably bumped in the commotion) and wondered if it caused the transmission to not know what to do. But the gauges and rolling in park that I experienced had me confused. I quickly checked prices for Honda axles online and they were almost $500 each, and while the car might be worth it, that's a lot in parts.

I have the same car, year and engine. With 133k miles

I recently replaced a front axle with a "New" Cardone axle. I've only got about 500 miles on it, but so far it's worked perfectly.

It was $45 from RockAuto, and was easy to replace. So I took the chance.

Honda axles are easy to swap. I have only seen 1 broken one, in an older Integra. Great car!
Your car is gonna steer like new!

Last edited:
There really isn't much advantage to replacing both the axles. The other side could just as easily last another 100k+ miles.

I would hate to replace a working Honda axle but I suppose both could suffer the rust issue. For me to check the integrity of the good axle would be difficult even if I can get it out in one piece. It would be hard to trust the working axle after this, not that I trust an aftermarket much either but I would not expect it to fail with no warning like this one. I'm glad it happened at low speed in a relatively safe spot.

I quickly checked prices for Honda axles online and they were almost $500 each, and while the car might be worth it, that's a lot in parts.

Understood. I have just lost the appetite for experimentation after having done roughly 20 sets myself. In that case I would source a good condition used OEM unit from LKQ before buying new aftermarket. That can be had from eBay for under $100 shipped. 6 month warranty too.

Picture of the broken axle. Both have been replaced with whatever parts store axle the shop put in. Thank you everyone for your input.
[Linked Image]

How does a halfshaft break in half like that? I've never seen such a thing.

Picture of the broken axle. Both have been replaced with whatever parts store axle the shop put in. Thank you everyone for your input.

Wow...

I have a 2005 Accord Coupe... With about 110k on it. Really tempted to buy the Cardones off of Rockauto and swap them on. See if they work out. A set is what, about $100 shipped, but if that avoids a $1000+ failure in the field...

See if you can find GSP branded ones. I'm using one on my TL and it is a good piece. Did a ton of reading before I got it, seems like they are built a little better than most aftermarket ones, and are still reasonably priced.

Its a surprising failure for sure. This car has no rust on the body, but obviously some rust on things underneath but nothing excessive. Its automatic and gently driven. The road was dry and the car was pulling off from a stop sign turning left and it just let go. The replacement axles do not have the rubber damper.

This does make me wonder about the axles on my other honda. I'll have to inspect them closely.

Certainly worth putting up on the ramps and taking a look. You can probably poke through the rubber with a sharp pick and tell if it is the same diameter as the rest of it.

We don't have the problem down here, so I don't know what effect taking the factory damper off would have. My guess is, not much. That would prevent the issue and as you've seen, aftermarket ones don't come with them and generally work fine.

Originally Posted by pitzel

Wow...

I have a 2005 Accord Coupe... With about 110k on it. Really tempted to buy the Cardones off of Rockauto and swap them on. See if they work out. A set is what, about $100 shipped, but if that avoids a $1000+ failure in the field...

Just remove that rubber piece and see if the axle is corroding under it.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
You can probably poke through the rubber with a sharp pick and tell if it is the same diameter as the rest of it.

If the original one failed from rust, poking a hole in the rubber boot is the last thing he wants to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back