PTU oil choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm servicing my ptu on my escape tomorrow and I have two different oils. I have the Motorcraft 75w140 and Lucas 75w140. Both are synthetic and meet Ford specs. Is one better than other or just pick one?

I personally pick Lucas for its higher KV@40*V of 178 cSt vs MC's 135 cSt for components protection .

Does the escape have the same PTU issues as the Explorers and Taurus? If so I'd go with a top-shelf gear lube like Amsoil SVG or Redline. YMMV.

Not sure about a cat con …
but I wrapped exhaust pipe with header tape and secured with hose clamps … 20 minute job …
Redline makes ester based gear oil …

We have a 2017 2.3 EB Explorer. I had the dealer change the PTU at 9,000 miles and I changed it again at 22,000 miles with Amsoil SVG 75W-140. I ran that for 22,000 more miles and had an UOA done by Blackstone to see if I can extend it further and yes I can.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by LotI
They can. No drain plug and it's behind the engine and kept toasty by at least one cat.

This vehicle does have a drain and a fill plug. It is similar to but not identical to the Explorer ptu. I changed it today and used the Lucas 75w140. It was pretty dirty. Not the worst one I've done, but the oil was black and the drain plug had shavings on it. I hope the next change is cleaner.

Originally Posted by mpgo4th
Originally Posted by LotI
They can. No drain plug and it's behind the engine and kept toasty by at least one cat.

This vehicle does have a drain and a fill plug. It is similar to but not identical to the Explorer ptu. I changed it today and used the Lucas 75w140. It was pretty dirty. Not the worst one I've done, but the oil was black and the drain plug had shavings on it. I hope the next change is cleaner.

Btw, is this a Ford FF and mileage ?

How many miles? I change the PTU fluid in my explorer a few weeks ago. No drain plug so had to suck it out with a pump. It was black and smelled really bad. Filled with Redline 75w140 and then drained it again. Filled with Redline 75w140 and closed her up. Plan to do this every 15-20k. Might seem short but that will be 3+ years for me between changes.

This is a EcoBoost Ford Escape with 30k miles on it. Fluid was original.

Mine was dirty so I might do that. 15k is worth it to me to make this thing last.

I need to do this job on dads SHO. No drain plug and hardly any room to work. Dreading it.

Wish it had the track package as I believe they are more user friendly with cooling lines and drain plugs.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I need to do this job on dads SHO. No drain plug and hardly any room to work. Dreading it.

Wish it had the track package as I believe they are more user friendly with cooling lines and drain plugs.

Honestly on mine removing the belly pan shield was to worst part. I hate that thing and if it didn't funnel air to the PTU I would leave it off.

Hear you, practically have a dinner table on screws under the Fusion Hybrid …
Put some M1 AP in it this time … going to delay the pain some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back