Delo vs Delvac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to have to ask this but, all thing being equal, which of these oils would you use in a 2004.5 Dodge CTD. I used Rotella in the begining, and switched to Delvac on the last change at 20000 miles. The place I used to get the Delvac does not carry it anymore. They have Delo now. What do you guys think.

Thanks
John

Both equally good, I also substitute either when I can't get one of them.

Some engines though prefer to run well with Delvac rather than Delo but that is rare, for most part they both are on equal rating.

they are equal. delo may edge out a bit because it had moly added not too long ago.

Personally, I found that I lost about 1-2 MPG using delo in my MB. Power felt the same though...

Id actually use Delvac 1 or M1 Truck&SUV synthetic 5w-40 oil.

JMH

Thanks, doitmyself. I had not seen that yet when I posted here. I agree completely that lab vs. reality does not always correspond at all.

I've never found all else to be equal, but if it was, I'd choose Delvac (although I really like Chevron products). This is based almost entirely on Delvac's better performance on a small amount of shear testing done by Schaeffer. You can find that data posted here very recently, but I can't remember the thread name.

bluwnkl,

Did you see my last post on the Schaeffer Oil Testing of 15W40 oils?

It does raise some questions about the validity of lab tests vs. real world results.

Take a look. I have my Nomex suit on.

Gurka,

On the Noria forum, you questioned some tests that Delvac passed, but Delo didn't.

Did you resolve your questions on that? And, can you share any new info with us?

And....addressing the original question. My guess is that these two oils are so close that it would be almost impossible to distinguish an operating difference in a healthy engine. Splitting hairs. It is interesting that each has quite different additive packages in the VOA section.

[ May 27, 2005, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: doitmyself ]

quote:

Originally posted by doitmyself:
Gurka,

On the Noria forum, you questioned some tests that Delvac passed, but Delo didn't.

Did you resolve your questions on that? And, can you share any new info with us?

And....addressing the original question. My guess is that these two oils are so close that it would be almost impossible to distinguish an operating difference in a healthy engine. Splitting hairs. It is interesting that each has quite different additive packages in the VOA section.

Hi,

As you mention that post, it was based on the LE tests done on both oils, since then, I have decided to try both out extensively and to my conclusion, they are both evenly matched and perform equally well, engine noise, oil consumption are all evenly matched. I have subjected both to gruelling 55c weather as well as -15c and they performed admirably.

Others too in this forum have done some torture tests with Delo and have come out in praise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back