Mobil box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'm going to stick to 5 quart jugs and quart bottles as long as possible.
27.gif

Seems people in my area agree with you. Was at Wally yesterday so thought I'd take a stroll down oil alley. First thing I noticed was they no longer carry the Havoline boxes, instead they used that space to add more Supertech 5qt jugs. Kept looking and finally seen a display with Supertech boxes, no Mobil boxes found.

Interesting, but not surprising. I haven't looked in a while for oil in WMT so I really can't say if that's the case in my store. People vote with their wallets, and if enough of them feel the way I do about boxed oil, the jugs will continue to rule.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'm going to stick to 5 quart jugs and quart bottles as long as possible.
27.gif

Seems people in my area agree with you. Was at Wally yesterday so thought I'd take a stroll down oil alley. First thing I noticed was they no longer carry the Havoline boxes, instead they used that space to add more Supertech 5qt jugs. Kept looking and finally seen a display with Supertech boxes, no Mobil boxes found.

Its weird because the Mobil 1 boxed oil is the first boxed oil I've seen at my local walmart.

Some other walmarts 30 miles away have the Supertech boxes......but haven't seen the Havoline just online

Last edited:
A 12 quart box of oil with or without a spigot, is ridiculous. So take a 12 qt box, a funnel (not included) and 12 empty quart bottles with caps (also not included) and with enough time and patience you can make yourself a case of oil, plus one dirty funnel. Assuming you don't spill any.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
So with the spigot you can count the seconds for measuring?

I hope you are not thinking about pouring directly from the box into the engine. Gee that would suck, for me anyway LOL. There needs to be a container between the two, such as a 1-quart or 5-quart bottle, both which can be used for measuring.

Originally Posted by wdn
A 12 quart box of oil with or without a spigot, is ridiculous. So take a 12 qt box, a funnel (not included) and 12 empty quart bottles with caps (also not included) and with enough time and patience you can make yourself a case of oil, plus one dirty funnel. Assuming you don't spill any.

You only need one 1-quart bottle. Fill it from the box, then pour it into your engine. Repeat as needed to reach oil capacity. I'm sure you can handle one dirty funnel LOL.

I like the idea of boxed oil IF it can compare with the rebate prices on the 5-quart jugs (e.g. Mobil 1, PP, etc). Currently those rebate deals are an unbeatable value: 5 quarts of major brand "full synthetic" for $14. Even Supertech synthetic isn't that cheap.

How long is an oil change going to take with that method, an hour? Fill one quart bottle from unwieldy 3 gallon box. Dump that one quart of quart of oil into crankcase. Repeat five more times. I just bought 16 SuperTech 5W30 quarts for $2.28 each, delivered. That is less than half the price of the box of Mobil.

A sane person would measure it out with a gallon or 5 quart jug and just reuse the jug.

Not that hard to figure out.....

Originally Posted by wdn
How long is an oil change going to take with that method, an hour? Fill one quart bottle from unwieldy 3 gallon box. Dump that one quart of quart of oil into crankcase. Repeat five more times. I just bought 16 SuperTech 5W30 quarts for $2.28 each, delivered. That is less than half the price of the box of Mobil.

In the old days there were no five quart jugs. Shops might have had bulk.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by BLND1
So is this bag-in-box or 12 bottles? 12 bottles seems like an interminable waste of plastic.

Chevron hit the sweet spot with the 6 quart box.

If you zoom in on the picture it appears to be a bag (bladder) in a box.

You are correct. I was in WM today and this is oil in a box. A very dumb idea.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Originally Posted by 4WD

The shops use 6 gallon boxes and a measuring pitcher. I gave my son a 6 gallon box of Pennzoil Gold since he has 3 vehicles spec'd for 20's …

Then we'll get people on here wondering how to keep dust out of their pitchers.

That cracks me up! OCD like me.

Bag in a box full of oil. I envision a mess! I will stick with the 5 quart jugs. I think I would be concerned about the bag leaking if you loaded up on these when they go on sale. My wife would be [censored]!

I use the havoline boxes currently. These things are quite stout. I'd wager they will be just as durable as the plastic jugs in the ASTM 2020.blnd1 bench drop test.

Bag in the box aren't new. They've been around for fifteen years. What's new is the attempt to sell these at the retail level.
These came about when shops found they needed to stock more and more grades of motor oil and transmission fluid. They're a compromise between the price and storage space requirements of quarts and 55 gallon drums. Six gallons seemed to be the sweet spot. They were a little slow to gain traction at first, but have been a solid selling product to installers for years.
For those wondering how to dispense the oil, Google "bulk oil pitcher."

I use the havoline boxes currently. These things are quite stout. I'd wager they will be just as durable as the plastic jugs in the ASTM 2020.blnd1 bench drop test.

What do you do with your old oil?

Originally Posted by Scuder
Bag in the box aren't new. They've been around for fifteen years. What's new is the attempt to sell these at the retail level.
These came about when shops found they needed to stock more and more grades of motor oil and transmission fluid. They're a compromise between the price and storage space requirements of quarts and 55 gallon drums. Six gallons seemed to be the sweet spot. They were a little slow to gain traction at first, but have been a solid selling product to installers for years.
For those wondering how to dispense the oil, Google "bulk oil pitcher."

My bulk oil pitcher is the 5qt jug the oil came in.
thankyou2.gif

Originally Posted by tig1

What do you do with your old oil?

You can refill the bag in the box with the old oil using a funnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back