Window Tint: Have no idea what to choose, tint newbie here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
llumar and get one of their Select Pro Dealerships

I ain't too worried about the law as all the dealers I have been to will not exceed what the law allows. They must have some liability.

My issue is backing out of tight spots at night. I usually have to open the driver's door to make sure I don't hit something. This is on my 4Runner which was purchased in TN where
they allow darker tint.

On my LS460L I had 20% in the back glass and back doors, 35% on the fronts. Depending on your local laws, I prefer 20% on everything but the windshield. It looks better, gives you some privacy and a bit more UV rejection. My most recent tint job was done with Global branded film. It gets great reviews for a reasonably priced film. Ceramic films will have more heat rejection but do cost more. I BS'd with the installer and watched my film come out of the packaging so I knew I got what I paid for.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
[/quote]
https://www.tinting-laws.com/north-carolina/

35% VLT, but the includes the tint that is already on the windows, if so you use a 35% tint, your total VLT or visible light transmission is lower. But most cops don't know the difference.
NC State Police have test equipment, will use it if they think your glass is too dark and ticket you if your glass fails. Most inspection stations also have testers and won't pass it, either.

If I'm looking at a used car and it has tint on it, I deduct the cost of removing it from any offer. Every one I've bought that had it on it had to have it removed for one reason or another, and it's harder than putting it on.

I live in Phoenix so that makes me an expert on tint lol. You cant find a car here that is not tinted and most are much darker than legal edict. I can tell you the stuff massively reduces interior heat and UV damage on yourinterior. As far as law goes IMO tint is one of those selective enforcement laws they use to snoop you when you're trolling through drug or hooker areas or vehicles that look to be out of place for an area. If your not driving like a jerk out there you wont get noticed.

It never is a good thing if you can't see better at night. I figured that out 25 years ago after trying to back out of my garage with the door closed. And the bigger issue is not being able to make eye contact, especially on a motorcycle. The next craze will be mirrored tint.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by JOD
not sure what's up with the anti-tint crowd, but if you buy quality tint and have it installed by a good installer, it's not going to fade or peel--and personally I never found it much trouble.

Yeah, I don't get it either. The OP is having it done tomorrow and just wants add'l advice. He/she didn't say, "hey, I have an appt for window tinting tomorrow. Talk me out of it".

+1
I had it done professionally on my Focus. It went on well and DRASTICALLY kept the interior cooler.
The front side windows were LIGHTLY tinted (60%ish) so I didn't get any hassle from the local law enforcement.

I'd do it on my current car, but I don't commute for work anymore.

After 130K miles on my focus, it only took me one drive through the Utah desert to decide I needed tints.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Those of you that say tinting isn't needed obviously don't live in the south!!! We need tint!! I have all my vehicles tinted PLUS use a sunshade in the windshield when parked all day especially in summer!

Sunshade in the rear glass is a good idea too. The Buick has an electric sunshade back there, but in hot weather (i.e., April to December), I put up an old reflecting Walmart sunshade as well as the one in front, and try to park in shade where I can. And tint too, of course.

The cops might not stop you if your tint is over the local limit, but beware if you have any kind of safety inspection that checks for darkness of tint. Our city ordinance requires the inspectors to check with a light meter. Some locations check, some don't, but you never know until you get there.

When I bought the Buick, which had been living in FL, the windows were too dark even for me at night. I couldn't see the aft end of the car in the passenger mirror when parking in darkness. I had to have the old tint removed before they could install lighter, legal stuff. But it's worth it.

Those of you that say tinting isn't needed obviously don't live in the south!!! We need tint!! I have all my vehicles tinted PLUS use a sunshade in the windshield when parked all day especially in summer!

Agree 100% … probably saves some AC repairs in addition to several obvious advantages …

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral

Sunshade in the rear glass is a good idea too. The Buick has an electric sunshade back there, but in hot weather (i.e., April to December), I put up an old reflecting Walmart sunshade as well as the one in front, and try to park in shade where I can. And tint too, of course.

The cops might not stop you if your tint is over the local limit, but beware if you have any kind of safety inspection that checks for darkness of tint. Our city ordinance requires the inspectors to check with a light meter. Some locations check, some don't, but you never know until you get there.

When I bought the Buick, which had been living in FL, the windows were too dark even for me at night. I couldn't see the aft end of the car in the passenger mirror when parking in darkness. I had to have the old tint removed before they could install lighter, legal stuff. But it's worth it.

Color in "tint" is mostly just for visual benefit. It doesn't do much of anything to reject heat, just provides color. It's the ceramic or "metal (in the cheaper films)" that really rejects heat. Ceramic absolutely destroys any other type of tint for this. My windshield is nearly clear (you can't tell it's tinted), and it rejects heat like crazy. You can have a fully protected interior without even seeing it, if you want to be odd and go 70% all around.

Originally Posted by JOD
not sure what's up with the anti-tint crowd, but if you buy quality tint and have it installed by a good installer, it's not going to fade or peel--and personally I never found it much trouble.

I travel with a dog in the car most times, so I like having it. UV rejection is a real thing as well. I have one car with 14 year old tint and it's not faded or peeled--and it has a lifetime warranty. I have 3M color stable, 35% all the way around except the front windows, 50% on the fronts. 35% on the front makes backing up in dark rain a bit of a challenge, so I opted for lighter up there.

A bunch of old Nancies on this board. That's what's up with it.

I've had good luck with 3M (the 3M tint I've had on my truck has been on since 2007 and still looks the same as it did when it was installed). That said, it really matters how experienced your installer is. The guy who did my truck has well over 20 years of experience (he's been tinting my cars since the '90s). That especially matters if you have a vehicle with odd-shaped windows (like my 1987 Maxima's rear windshield that he did for me in the late '90s).

Most recently, I had a local shop do my 2016 WRX (not the same guy, because I now live in Nashville, and my original guy is in Memphis). They used Huper Optik, and it's good tint, but the person who did it obviously wasn't as experienced or as thorough, because there were a few tiny bubbles. They were minor, and only noticeable if I got my face up real close to the back window, so, I didn't complain. But, I tell that story to make the point that experience is probably the biggest single factor in a quality window tinting job.

But, yeah, buy quality tint like the 3M or Huper Optik, and it will come with a lifetime warranty, but you'll never need it, because the quality stuff lasts indefinitely.

Someone mentioned the tint getting scratched by dirt and debris getting in between the seal and the window. I've never had that happen with any of the 4 vehicles I've had tinted.

Someone else talked about clear tint. I don't know why anyone would do that. I love the look it gives a vehicle. It really adds a lot to the look of any vehicle. Plus, I like the privacy it gives me.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Someone else talked about clear tint. I don't know why anyone would do that. I love the look it gives a vehicle. It really adds a lot to the look of any vehicle. Plus, I like the privacy it gives me.

Ceramic tint is available in higher (??) tint levels, like 75%, which would appear almost 'clear', vs non-ceramic that is typically 50%, 35%, 20%, and so on. I agree with you and I'd never put something like that on my side or rear windows but I would put ceramic tint on my front windshield, albeit at something like 75%. It's not for privacy in this case but reducing heat and glare.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Ceramic tint is available in higher (??) tint levels, like 75%, which would appear almost 'clear', vs non-ceramic that is typically 50%, 35%, 20%, and so on. I agree with you and I'd never put something like that on my side or rear windows but I would put ceramic tint on my front windshield, albeit at something like 75%. It's not for privacy in this case but reducing heat and glare.

That's actually a good idea, especially in a vehicle with a large windshield area, like my fiancee's 2018 Civic Hatchback. Front seat passengers really roast in the summertime, even with the A/C on. All the sunshine that comes through in the afternoon while driving west forces you to run the A/C at a much higher setting than would otherwise be needed.

Might consider that when I get her car done soon.

Personally, I like 20% on side and rear windows. No, it's not legal (35% is darkest that's legal here), but I've had it for years and years on my Tacoma and had on my WRX when I had that car, and never had any cop say anything about it (yes, I've been pulled over many times in both vehicles). They also don't check for tint here when you get your vehicle inspected.

But, yeah, I wouldn't get the windshield tinted unless it was the clear, heat-rejecting kind you're talking about.

Originally Posted by JohnG
Did you read the other recent BITOG thread on this subject? It is titled "School me on tint". Lot's of additional info on that one, pus pictures.

Word of warning. If you go too dark, you'll not only be in trouble with the law, but you'll be in trouble at night.

Yes.
Thanks for the reminder. I perused that forum and did get my tint just a few days ago. Will update my experience there as well.

I found a really impressive looking shop per website and went by a week later to talk and see about options.
Basically they have 3 tints, mid and top end are both ceramic. I didn't get into much schooling on them and they didn't go hard-sell to the other tints. Can't even tell you the costs but I did get the "CS" tint (lowest tier on pricing) done on my Sportwagen telling them I didn't want to go Gangster Dark, something offering some privacy and good or classy look. Was thinking 30 or 35 % and I think I went 30. Our laws say 27% is the limit. We talked in the shop and I wanted to see tint on cars so we went outside and checked a few out. They did great work and the car looks just as I hoped, looking more sportwagen than station wagon.
grin2.gif

The upgrade tints did show a few stats for improved heat and UV rejection but it was not a big jump.
$249 and the teeny triangle window up front was blacked out as they said might be the case since it's a pain to get to from inside.
I added (paid extra) for the headlamp cover that is clear and helps the lens stay clear rather than fog-over, helps with rock or debris cracking or chipping too. It's entirely invisible and does not muddle the headlights at night, still crystal clear.
For me, the tint is just a personal choice in a few To-Do things for this car. I may never go APR tune or much investing in upgrades but plan on replacing OEM wheels / tires when due with something offering a sporty upgrade and appearance. It's the "S" model so no bright work or flashy chrome, keeping it mostly low-key.

Last edited:
That's actually a good idea, especially in a vehicle with a large windshield area, like my fiancee's 2018 Civic Hatchback. Front seat passengers really roast in the summertime, even with the A/C on. All the sunshine that comes through in the afternoon while driving west forces you to run the A/C at a much higher setting than would otherwise be needed.

My wife's car is a '14 Fusion and the front windshield is huge. She got 20% on the sides and rear window and nothing on the front. She works 12 hour days and her car is parked outside but it still gets hot inside during the summer. She has a remote starter so it helps a little bit. Probably should park facing east as well. Anyway, ceramic tint is expensive ! The guy we used quoted me $250 for the windshield alone. He charged $200 for the side and rear windows with regular 3M tint. My G35 already has tint, over 10 years old now. The side windows are in great shape but the rear has bubbles. I presume it's related to the rear defroster (??). I asked the 3M dealer about it and blamed it on the tint itself (he didn't install it) and said 3M tint won't do that, ever.

I have seen genuine 3m tint, and it has the 3m logo embedded in the tint, in a pattern.

It's actually pretty neat to see it.

My installer uses American Standard tint, a Las Vegas based company.

I have had them do 3 cars so far, nice job. Their base tint is a dyed product, and has lifetime no bubble warranty, and 10 year no color change warranty.

Very happy with the performance of 3M Color Stable that is on my Accord and RX350, especially on the RX which we took a long road trip with last summer through the high desert and Lake Tahoe where the uv is intense due to elevation, definitely cut down on heat felt on skin when the sun is at that angle in July and points directly into the driver side window at certain times of the day

Always concerned about the amount of tint on one of my cars here in AZ and taking it to LA. While it seems to be okay here, like many others it's a pretty dark tint. JUst another revenue op for the CHIPs should I make the trip in this particular car ?

Is there a tint level that's legal in all 50 states that does an adequate job ?

Originally Posted by DweezilAZ
Always concerned about the amount of tint on one of my cars here in AZ and taking it to LA. While it seems to be okay here, like many others it's a pretty dark tint. JUst another revenue op for the CHIPs should I make the trip in this particular car ?

Is there a tint level that's legal in all 50 states that does an adequate job ?

Doubtful depending on what sacrifices you want. In Michigan the front windows can only have a 4" strip from the top. The rear windows you could paint black if you wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back