2013-2017 Accord V6 J35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you have a 9th Gen Accord (2013-2017) with a J35 V6? I am looking at some Touring/EX-L used and am curious on how your engines have been.

Oil consumption, VCM-related issues, etc?

I was looking at a very nice 8th Gen, 2011 EX-L V6 with Navi. Had 96k, but the VCM issues scare me.

Even on a newer VCM J35, I'd be inclined to turn off VCM.

Seems as if the consensus is that the VCM3 engines are 10x better.

Thank you as always for your feedback and info.

I have a customer with a 2016 RDX with 90k+ miles. Oil changes are done every 6-8K with 0W20 synthetic. No oil consumption to date.

I know the VCM issues were addressed in the 9th gens. My 17 has that. To be honest, I really can't tell a difference when that thing activates or not. It's pretty smooth. Regardless, I went ahead and got the VCMuzzler II. Based on the external temperature, sometimes it won't activate because I would have the wrong ohm resistor in it. I can tell because my mileage shoots up to about 34 on the highway. But even then, I couldn't tell if it kicked in or not. Oil consumption is..well...what oil consumption? Haven't seen a reduction on the dipstick and I'm running OCM's around 13-15K with M1 EP 0W-20. Don't know about your AT set up, but I have the paddle shifters and that is a blast to drive.

I recommend disabling the VCM with a Muzzler and 2013-2017 looks like decent years with few issues...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by The Critic
I have a customer with a 2016 RDX with 90k+ miles. Oil changes are done every 6-8K with 0W20 synthetic. No oil consumption to date.

I had no idea you could get an RDX with a V6; Thank you.

Originally Posted by GSCJR

I had no idea you could get an RDX with a V6; Thank you.

You must be living under a rock :p. RDX had a standard V6 from 2013 to 2018. My parents are on their second V6 RDX, they love theirs.

My aunt has a '15 Honda Pilot AWD that I maintain. 130k miles on it, had it since new, changes oil based of the OLM of 10% which is around 7.5k miles. Surprisingly, does not burn a drop of oil, and to her she does not feel the vibrations or know when it goes into 3 or 4 cylinder mode. When I drive it, I can feel when it kicks in but it doesn't bother me. I toyed with the idea of a VCM Muzzler but it's not my car. A lot of her driving is done on the highway at 50+mph with cruise set so it's in cylinder deactivation mode most of the time. Very smooth revving engine, not much power, and she averages 20.x mpg per the dash which is right on the combined score.

Last edited:
I have a 2013 V6 EX-L coming up on 90K miles. It looks and runs like new. It may be the best car I've ever owned or driven, going back to a '73 Mercedes 450SE. No oil use. I've gone by the MM for oil changes. Don't worry about the VCM; I've never noticed it, either on the Accord or or my '10 Pilot. I'm not looking forward to to 105K timing belt replacment; that job may double the amount I've spent on maintenance, repairs and tires since I bought the car new. Its been a great car

I have a 2015 V6 coupe and no issues with 89k. I did turn off the VCM a long long time ago with a tune. No oil consumption to date

Last edited:

My girlfriend had a 2014 Honda Pilot. It had no issues, and I could not tell if/when it deactivated any cylinders. I honestly don't know if it even HAD that feature. It seemed fine between 5K mi oil changes, as well. She had about 90K on it when she traded it.

Originally Posted by redhat
Do any of you have a 9th Gen Accord (2013-2017) with a J35 V6? I am looking at some Touring/EX-L used and am curious on how your engines have been.

Oil consumption, VCM-related issues, etc?
I was looking at a very nice 8th Gen, 2011 EX-L V6 with Navi. Had 96k, but the VCM issues scare me.
Even on a newer VCM J35, I'd be inclined to turn off VCM.
Seems as if the consensus is that the VCM3 engines are 10x better.
Thank you as always for your feedback and info.

I own a 2017 ridgeline with a a j35(Y6).

This mill is sweet. After break in doesnt drink a drop (at 30K ), even with extended VCM activation on long road trips.

VCM is unobtrusive, it feels a bit like like pulling top gear in a stick shift at low RPM if you can even feel it al all. Hardly a big deal.

I wouldn't kill it - why? I can get 30 MPG in a mid sized 4 door AWD pickup driver conservatively- Incredible considering the capability of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BryanTDI12
My aunt has a '15 Honda Pilot AWD that I maintain. 130k miles on it, had it since new, changes oil based of the OLM of 10% which is around 7.5k miles. Surprisingly, does not burn a drop of oil, and to her she does not feel the vibrations or know when it goes into 3 or 4 cylinder mode. When I drive it, I can feel when it kicks in but it doesn't bother me. I toyed with the idea of a VCM Muzzler but it's not my car. A lot of her driving is done on the highway at 50+mph with cruise set so it's in cylinder deactivation mode most of the time. Very smooth revving engine, not much power, and she averages 20.x mpg per the dash which is right on the combined score.

Interestingly the 2015 Pilot (last generation year) is in consumer Reports as way above average reliable. I am peeking at one. Before indicate engine issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back