Lexus 3L V6 - room for XG3600 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a nice older Lexus RX300 with the 3L V6. I see it's recommended to use Fram **3614. But that is short filter. Is there room to spin on a 3600 ??

We bought new, a 2001 RX300 AWD,.,,1MZFE(that's the 3.0L V6) and had it for 15 years.

YES!...to answer your question about using a longer filter such as the 3600 size. You can use this size and it'll fit. However, just barely and I don't recall having any problems getting the filter in or out.. I did this several time on our RX without issues. The only reason that I stopped was because of my own concerns.

I felt that the filter was just a bit too close to the front exhaust manifold for my liking.The filter didn't touch the exhaust manifold and it never showed any signs of being burnt or burning through the filter can. So, it was just my own worries!

But, whether using the #3614 or #3600, the filter is a pain to install/remove especially when the manifold is HOT and I always had a small oil mess.

I still belong to Club Lexus Forum and others I've chatted with have used a longer filter and probably still do, IDK. So, take that for what it's worth and good luck with your RX.

CB

Last edited:
Seems CB answered question about fit. Looks like ~1.5" difference in length. Adding, having significant anecdotal experience with the 3614 (~3.5") application on an older Tacoma with 3.4L engine, it was all the filter size I ever needed. I'm sure your engine like mine will be well maintained and I'm highly doubtful you'll ever approach the holding capacity of the spec 3614 application. Guess what I'm saying, while there may be room I don't believe you'll see much if any benefit with the 3600. Your call. My .02

Just stick with what the recommended filter, knowing that the bypass settings and all is correct. I'm sure the size is more than adequate. Ed

In addition:
It isn't as though I was able to add any extra oil volume to the crankcase during my oil & filter change simply by adding slightly larger/longer filter. The holding capacity was 5 qts to the dipstick "FULL" mark with either size filter.

Last edited:
I use a larger filter on our trusty old Tundra; I sleep better at night.
Does it make a difference to the truck? Nope.

Originally Posted by Eddie
Just stick with what the recommended filter, knowing that the bypass settings and all is correct. I'm sure the size is more than adequate. Ed

The XG8A, XG3600, and XG3614 all have the same pressure bypass valve, thread, and gasket size, the 3600 is longer and the 8 is both longer and about an inch larger in diameter.

Last edited:
The filter angles downwards, not a good idea to use a larger one. More media can be had in the Denso from Toyota and in the right 3614 size. 90915-yzzd1

Well, the issue is additional media area since I'm running BG109 ( EPR ) as a slow cleaning agent. 93,500 miles and fill hole looks a little grungy. So adding filter area seems appropriate ...

Originally Posted by BrocLuno
Well, the issue is additional media area since I'm running BG109 ( EPR ) as a slow cleaning agent. 93,500 miles and fill hole looks a little grungy. So adding filter area seems appropriate ...

What do you mean slow cleaning agent? You're only supposed to use the BG109 for 10-15 minutes right before you change the oil, so since you're at the end of the OCI anyway, the bigger filter area is irrelevant
smile.gif

A lot of people on here aren't fond of BG products at all.

You're better off just doing a few short OCI's top clean everything out. The 97+ 1MZ is one of the few engines I'd do a 3k OCI on. In that case, 3k with whatever synthetic is on sale at the time. Maybe with a top-tier syn that's ACEA A5/B5 or A3/B4 I might go to 5k, but that's it

That's how the oil fill hole looked on ours. Inside, the valve train was spotless. 5k oil and filter changes and it's done. Watch for heater hose deterioration. Wonderful engines those are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back