So, I kinda fudged up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the process of reviving a Kohler Command 11 engine - cleaning up the carb and replacing the fuel pump due to California gas. In the process of tearing down the carb, I had to somehow get a welch plug removed. I used a screw and a hammer but that just deformed the plug. I then took a small 1.5mm flatblade screwdriver bit as a drift and managed to get the plug out.

The passages weren't damaged thankfully. But, the edge where the welch plug seats against is damaged, I did gouge the aluminum. It's not in a critical area but it could interfere with the carb working via an air or vacuum leak.

I was planning on using nail polish or a smear of epoxy to seal the plug after I drive the new one in. Will that work or just buy a new Chineseium carb?

I'd get a Chineseium carb. In machines that I pulled out of the garbage, fixed and sold or used, I had great luck with them. They saved me a lot of time installing them, vs. a rebuild, when a carb was in need of a rebuild vs. a good cleaning.

Metallic plug that seals the end of a drilled passageway in a carb body.
Like a miniature version of a freeze plug in an engine block.

Last edited:
If you have a tube of RTV gasket maker laying around you can smear it over the plug and wipe it off, just leaving a bit to fill the edges. Since its not a hot surface or likely to come into constant contact with gas any color will work. If you dont have that just try bathroom silicon caulk.

Originally Posted by samven
If you have a tube of RTV gasket maker laying around you can smear it over the plug and wipe it off, just leaving a bit to fill the edges. Since its not a hot surface or likely to come into constant contact with gas any color will work. If you dont have that just try bathroom silicon caulk.

I do have some RTV and Shoe Goo - I'll use the RTV first. That way I don't need to buy a 1-time use epoxy syringe and make a mess.

Originally Posted by nthach
I do have some RTV and Shoe Goo - I'll use the RTV first. That way I don't need to buy a 1-time use epoxy syringe and make a mess.

Just use Permatex Ultra Black.

Don't RTV or shoe goo anything in the carb, it likely won't last. You likely will get a new Welch plug with a carb kit. Very last resort would be JB Weld.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener

Don't RTV or shoe goo anything in the carb, it likely won't last. You likely will get a new Welch plug with a carb kit. Very last resort would be JB Weld.

I meant after I drive in a new welch plug - a smear of RTV or Shoe Goo on the outside of the welch plug. Not on the inner part where the air passages are.
cool.gif

In the past I broke part of the stand that holds the locating pin on the float in the carb. Before I bought a new carb I used JB weld and repaired it. It worked for a couple more years then I sold it. I would tap the welch plug back in and seal it with JB weld. The repair I did in the bowl was located in a place where it was submerged in fuel.

Originally Posted by vw7674
Metallic plug that seals the end of a drilled passageway in a carb body.
Like a miniature version of a freeze plug in an engine block.

This is interesting. I have an older B and S that may need a new carb. I looked into the Chinese carbs on eBay and right where the choke should be, there's a plug.

I wouldn't even have taken the time to mess with the original. Store it somewhere safe and mail order a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back