Feedback on 2016-2018 Ram 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Hello,

I may be in the truck market, post Labor Day. If not, first half of 2021. Been looking and researching the Ram, both the Bighorn and the Express. I've been getting a feel for what the typical prices are, researching some feedback, etc.

As an example, there is a 2017 Bighorn Hemi near me with 32k on it for $25k. I am going to assume the few I've looked at last night were lease returns. 2016-2018 is what I am targeting.

Knowing how these threads evolve, pricing in this ballpark is not an issue, and will not keep me from my financial responsibilities in any way.

Thank you.

If durability and/or longevity are of value to you, there are demonstrably better choices than this available in the market.

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

Looking at 2017 alone, the RAM 1500 ranks 3rd among Full Size pickups, behind the Silverado and the F-150 on U.S. News and World Report. However, the scores are basically the same (a .3 margin on a 1-10 scale). Link can be found here. This is the site that I trust the most, however, it's certainly not the end-all-be-all.

Unfortunately, RAM, like Amsoil, attracts very vocal naysayers. This, in turn, leads to very vocal proponents which invariably turns into a 10 page discussion on the good and bad of every brand, not just RAM. It seems as though one brand can't be good unless the competing brands are bad. Due to this, it can be difficult to get good, unbiased advice. My advice to you would be to go with the truck you like the most with what you can afford. No vehicle is perfect and it makes it a whole lot easier to repair it, when the time comes, when it's a vehicle you truly enjoy driving. If it's the RAM, go for it! It's a good value and I think looks the best (just my personal opinion) of all the full sized trucks not named F-150.

One other truck I have VERY casually looked at was the Titan.

I've owned several GM trucks and a Tahoe - GM isn't in the equation going forward.

Ford ? So many questions with longevity (say 200K) on the 2.7, maintenance on these types of engines, etc.. Paint issues. Have not even looked at pricing yet; obviously, this is a long term project for me, I have no need to hurry it along at all.

Last edited:
I can tell you that I was in the same situation a little over a year ago and I came to the conclusion that the Ram was the one for me and I've not had a single moment of regret over the past 15 months of ownership. I bought mine in Dec 2018 with 27k miles and have 38k miles on it now (I drive multiple cars) and have had 0 issues. Mine is is a CC 4x4 5.7 Laramie Longhorn with the 3.92 gears and I paid $32k. I track my mileage on Fuelly and over the past 5k miles I've averaged 16.8mpg and I'd say 70% of that mileage is in town.

I drove f-150's and GM trucks and the Ram's interior is a much nicer place to be IMO, It doesn't have start stop like the Ford, and the cylinder deactivation is imperceptible unlike the GM trucks. The 8-spd is also the best automatic that was offered in any of the full size trucks in the years you've been looking.

Bottom line is in the used market you get more truck for your money with the Ram, and it has a proven drive train. That's why I picked it.

We owned an '18 EcoDiesel and only divested ourselves of it because of my wife's driving habits. For more long-term, our fleet at work is almost entirely RAM 1500's at this point, we have one F-150 left. They are mostly 2011-2012 vintage with a couple 2014/2015's. All have been excellent in terms of durability with only the common stuff like the exhaust manifold studs.

Originally Posted by JustN89
Unfortunately, RAM, like Amsoil, attracts very vocal naysayers. This, in turn, leads to very vocal proponents which invariably turns into a 10 page discussion on the good and bad of every brand, not just RAM. It seems as though one brand can't be good unless the competing brands are bad. Due to this, it can be difficult to get good, unbiased advice. My advice to you would be to go with the truck you like the most with what you can afford. No vehicle is perfect and it makes it a whole lot easier to repair it, when the time comes, when it's a vehicle you truly enjoy driving. If it's the RAM, go for it! It's a good value and I think looks the best (just my personal opinion) of all the full sized trucks not named F-150.

This is great advice. Ignore the biased haters that trash RAM. Look at the SOARING RAM truck sales during the past few years. That is what speaks volumes. RAM is a far better bargain than Fords, especially. I bough a 2019 RAM Classic last June for $6000-$7000 less than what Ford wanted.

Originally Posted by mjk
Hello,

I may be in the truck market, post Labor Day. If not, first half of 2021. Been looking and researching the Ram, both the Bighorn and the Express. I've been getting a feel for what the typical prices are, researching some feedback, etc.

As an example, there is a 2017 Bighorn Hemi near me with 32k on it for $25k. I am going to assume the few I've looked at last night were lease returns. 2016-2018 is what I am targeting.

Knowing how these threads evolve, pricing in this ballpark is not an issue, and will not keep me from my financial responsibilities in any way.

Thank you.

All of the manufacturers are building good trucks. And everyone of them build some lemons too. They are all very close in every single measurable category you can think of.

The absolute best thing for YOU to do, is drive all brands that you are considering. Find the one that fits your butt and needs the best for YOU.

Other people should not sway you towards any one. Thats your decision with your $$$$$.

I'm a fan of the Ram trucks. If I were to upgrade trucks I would be looking at exactly what you are looking at.

I think an off lease 16-18 Ram is one of the better bargains in a full size truck.

Like you mentioned I do like the 17-19 Titan Pro4x trucks as well. I don't think you can go wrong with either truck.

I believe RAM is making a good truck. I was looking for a used one when I bought my F-150. I really wanted a Classic 1500 with the 3.6 Pentastar but, those things are rare around here. The 5.7 Hemi is a good engine however, be ready to change 16 spark plugs instead of 8.

Originally Posted by MParr
I believe RAM is making a good truck. I was looking for a used one when I bought my F-150. I really wanted a Classic 1500 with the 3.6 Pentastar but, those things are rare around here. The 5.7 Hemi is a good engine however, be ready to change 16 spark plugs instead of 8.

I saw your post and I really like the truck you found! I've been looking for a V-6 Ram for a friend of mine and you're not kidding.. there aren't many around used. I don't know if the folks that have them are just hanging on or if they really don't sell that many. I would have no problem with a NA V6 like your truck has on the F-150 side. I had a CC 4wd Ram with the 3.6 as a rental and it has plenty of power.

I bought a 2007 Ram Laramie that had 182K on it when I bought it. It had been well cared for at the local deal who was friends with the owner. It now has 216K that I have put on it towing a 5th wheel and my sons Ford truck and a trailer to and from Minnesota back to KY. My avg fuel consumption on my 5.7 Hemi is like above, with about 17 in town and 23 on the highway. When I tow the 5th wheel that is very tall, I get between 10-11mpg. That is Ok though because a class A that I had only got 7.5 Max mpg. Took it to my local tire guy and got a lifetime front end alignment done and it needed no new parts. Got new Falken Highway tires then. They still don't show any wear. Previous owner used Castrol syn-blend hi mileage and that is what it still gets. Uses no oil between 5K changes. Wife and I love our Ram truck.. Now if it just wasn't so tall.

I own a used '16 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 with hard to find 3.6L; I have the Big Horn trim, 3.55s, limited slip, optional 32gal fuel tank.
Its a daily driver. I have 65k on it.
I crossed over from Ford F150 and also owned a 07 Silverado 1500 from new.
Quality seems about the same for all three from what I experienced.

Ram interior was better, I thought. Also Ram handled/rode better. Good weight balance with V6.
8spd trans is also superior.

Notes:
Some of the used, mostly SLT and Express trims, I saw for sale at dealers didn't have a frame mounted hitch.
These are usually rental (car) fleet trucks; the rental companies order these without hitches.
I saw the same with Chevys and Fords. I guess they do not want people towing with rental trucks.
The rental trucks still used the old "key" and were not keyless push to start, so that is another clue.
Also, rental fleet trucks I saw didn't have Sirius- in case you needed that.
They usually skip the limited slip axle option, too.

Big Horn trim seems to be a good value. Most have heated seats, maybe even front buckets.

3.6L (if you find one) works best with 3.55 gears.
Most gearing for all motors (except 3.21 with diesel) was 3.21, 3.55 and 3.92
If 4x4, usually there is still a sticker on front diff that has the ratio.

No Sirius or only 5" display screen? No problem- 8.4" screen can be added easily; plug and play. Nav requires programming.
Trailer brake control can be added after the fact if you need it. Needs programming at dealer to activate.

When I was shopping, I recall seeing some used Ram 1500s with Hemi that still had 6spd auto.
Fleet maybe? There was a crossover year, don't remember what year. Be sure to get 8spd...

If you narrow down your search, and it is not at a FCA dealer, you can get a Monroney label/window sticker.
With the VIN # and $7 go to https://monroneylabels.com
You can get a copy of the sticker to see what options the truck has on it, that may not be obvious.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by 390pi

3.6L (if you find one) works best with 3.55 gears.
Most gearing for all motors (except 3.21 with diesel) was 3.21, 3.55 and 3.92

Thats the exact same combo I got on my 2019 Classic. It works great together. 21+ mpg too.

Just to continue this discussion, how about some feedback from Titan owners?

Appreciate all the Ram input. My particular scenario, barring buying a lemon, would be to find a '17 with around 30k on it, and run it to between 180-200k. Then start over. In a way, it is hard to believe a cared for modern vehicle can't hit 200k, without major hiccups.

IMP4 - can u go into more detail on your post? Are there some Hemi issues I am unaware of (not having done long term research)? I hear about the 'Hemi Tick'.... what exactly is that?

Thanks.

I've got a 2016 Ram Longhorn LIMITED 4x4 Hemi- top of the line and loaded. Just turned 70k miles and NO ISSUES AT ALL. Love the truck - the RAM has much more comfort and features then the others. I also have a Sierra Denali and the RAM is my favorite. I love it - get yourself one. It is a wonderful truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mjk
Just to continue this discussion, how about some feedback from Titan owners?

Appreciate all the Ram input. My particular scenario, barring buying a lemon, would be to find a '17 with around 30k on it, and run it to between 180-200k. Then start over. In a way, it is hard to believe a cared for modern vehicle can't hit 200k, without major hiccups.

IMP4 - can u go into more detail on your post? Are there some Hemi issues I am unaware of (not having done long term research)? I hear about the 'Hemi Tick'.... what exactly is that?

Thanks.

There is a small percentage of HEMI's (that may be fixed by the years you are looking at) that suffered from lifter failure, which typically took the cam with it. This is the same issue as the GM AFM one. We've never experienced on any of our fleet trucks and as I said, may not even be an issue anymore with the year range you are shopping.

I cannot comment on the 1500 directly although I have a 2017 3500.

What kept us in a Ram: Of all 3, (lots of experience in F150's and Fords in general), the Ram has the best ergonomics. from the location of the window switches to the ease of use on the HUD and radio. The F150 just does not handle the same (had a 2011 Ram 1500 before) and it would dance all over the wash boarded grid road.

What I found though from the 2011 to the 2017. The paint was markedly thinner. It really chipped easy on the gravel roads.

That's really it as everything else pertains to the HD chassis.

Good luck though!

My neighbors rams have run great...you could wait for a 70k rivian , 70k electric f 150 or 75 k electric hummer to come out next year. ...they are the future of trucks if you have 40k xtra to throw away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back