Window Tint: Have no idea what to choose, tint newbie here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tint appointment tomorrow for the LS460, and no idea what to ask for.

What's a good % opacity without overdoing it?

There are several types, which is the best for longevity and UV blocking?

Thanks for the input.

Check your state & local laws first.
Many folks in my area are removing their tint due to state law & vehicle inspection. I don't know what the law was prior as I never kept up on it. However, they're removing their tint now!

^^What the Rochester man says^^

I went to a local (4 miles away) upholstery and tint shop and the well educated sounding bozo had no idea what "percentages of tint or opacity" meant.

That means (at the very least) that he'd be unable to give you the most minimal of service. If you encounter a completely ignorant "tint man", take your business elsewhere.

It ain't your job to teach him his business.

I based my tint shop choice on ratings from the Google. Staff seems knowledgeable over the phone.

I assume they will tint based upon local laws, because if not, they would be paying the court fees for a lot of customers.

What advise do you have for tint type? Does ceramic make a measurable difference?

The biggest problems with tint is that depending on how tight the window gaskets are dirt will eventually leave vertical scratch marks and/or the tint adds additional thickness to the window itself which will add more drag on the window causing the window regulator to work harder.

When I had a black car with black interior I opted for ceramic tint which was really good at rejecting IR with a subtle amount of darkness. You can also buy ceramic which is almost clear.

LLumar
Hüper Optik Ceramic
3M

Last edited:
Be very weary of where you buy this stuff from, I have been taken for a ride 2x,

Tint faded out in 3 years of so.
1 was from ebay
and from a store in Colton, CA which advertised 3M but I assume they installed fake ones.

Does this shop say what brand of tint they use ? There are obviously different grades of film available. 3M has a good reputation. The shop I had my wife's car tinted and our son also used uses 3M tint and there's a lifetime warranty. I don't know if the warranty is on the film, the installation, or both though.

North Carolina law is 35% on all windows. The windshield can be tinted but only the top 5". That said, you can put 20%, 5%, etc on if you choose to. It's not illegal to sell tint that dark nor is it illegal for a shop to install it - it's on you. The law applies to the vehicle owner. 35% is nice though. Not too dark, but still gives a nice look and the benefits of tint. Couple other things..... The color of your interior will impact how dark the tint looks from the outside. The rear windows will look darker than the fronts even though they are the same % because of the giant windshield allowing so much light in.

I would say a good number is:
-front windshield upper bar: 35%
-front side windows: 55%
-back side windows + back window: 35% (can still see at night)

If you want the whole front windshield, they make clear UV tint

As others said, please check your local laws/specs.

Originally Posted by gr8gatzby

Thanks for the input.

Ceramic is the only tint worth getting, IMO.

I did my windshield in 70(80%)% (you can't tell it's there), and have them match the front windows to the (factory tinted) back windows, in my SUV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gr8gatzby

Thanks for the input.

https://www.tinting-laws.com/north-carolina/

35% VLT, but the includes the tint that is already on the windows, if so you use a 35% tint, your total VLT or visible light transmission is lower. But most cops don't know the difference.

All of the tint types are about the same for UV blocking.

Heat rejection, that's a different story. You pay more for better heat rejection. The best heat rejection films are ceramic particle based.

I looked at Google reviews and used a local tint shop with great reviews. They were very knowledgeable. They knew the NJ laws but said it was up to me what to do. They said lots of people tint the front windows even though it's illegal. I opted to stay legal. Went with the most expensive film they had. A lot of tint job is labor it wasn't that expensive. Think it was like $270 for the most expensive film to $200 for the cheapest film for the rear windows and rear windshield. It's been 5 years and it looks great.

Tint is more trouble than it's worth to me, and I just wear sunglasses, and turn up the AC. Just a windshield heat shield is easy, and works.

IMG_2319.JPG

Did you read the other recent BITOG thread on this subject? It is titled "School me on tint". Lot's of additional info on that one, pus pictures.

Word of warning. If you go too dark, you'll not only be in trouble with the law, but you'll be in trouble at night.

not sure what's up with the anti-tint crowd, but if you buy quality tint and have it installed by a good installer, it's not going to fade or peel--and personally I never found it much trouble.

I travel with a dog in the car most times, so I like having it. UV rejection is a real thing as well. I have one car with 14 year old tint and it's not faded or peeled--and it has a lifetime warranty. I have 3M color stable, 35% all the way around except the front windows, 50% on the fronts. 35% on the front makes backing up in dark rain a bit of a challenge, so I opted for lighter up there.

Originally Posted by JohnG

Word of warning. If you go too dark, you'll not only be in trouble with the law, but you'll be in trouble at night.

I'll go along with that. I regret the tint jobs that we had. Be careful. Tint on front door windows makes it very difficult to see at night. In neighborhoods almost had to run the window down to make sure no one was attempting to cross the street. Tint looks cool, but that is the only plus for me. YMMV

Those of you that say tinting isn't needed obviously don't live in the south!!! We need tint!! I have all my vehicles tinted PLUS use a sunshade in the windshield when parked all day especially in summer!

I would think people on Medicare and old would need all the light possible at night. I have 20/20 with no glasses, but more light is usually good to see better.

Originally Posted by JOD
not sure what's up with the anti-tint crowd, but if you buy quality tint and have it installed by a good installer, it's not going to fade or peel--and personally I never found it much trouble.

Yeah, I don't get it either. The OP is having it done tomorrow and just wants add'l advice. He/she didn't say, "hey, I have an appt for window tinting tomorrow. Talk me out of it".

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by JOD

Yeah, I don't get it either. The OP is having it done tomorrow and just wants add'l advice. He/she didn't say, "hey, I have an appt for window tinting tomorrow. Talk me out of it".

+1
I had it done professionally on my Focus. It went on well and DRASTICALLY kept the interior cooler.
The front side windows were LIGHTLY tinted (60%ish) so I didn't get any hassle from the local law enforcement.

I'd do it on my current car, but I don't commute for work anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back