Use a garden sprayer pump to fill oil

I use one of these on my Escape.

s-l400.jpg

Originally Posted by buck91
Originally Posted by atikovi
What about getting something with adapters like,

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Hey, thats really cool! What brand/model is it? Does it come with multiple threaded ends or are the a la carte (like the motiv power bleeder)?

i've done something similar on the DIY.... ordered a cheap stant replacement filler cap, and drilled out a hole similar diameter to the OD of my funnel...
have 2 so far, one for the ford 3.5's in my old sable/mom's Taurus, and one for the Chevy 3400's in my nephews impala/ my buddy's mom's Aztek...

to keep them straight, painted the ford one blue, and the chevy one orange...

Originally Posted by blupupher
so what vehicles do you have? I have never had a vehicle that I could not use some type of funnel in, even when I was changing oil part time at a shop.

Honda V6 engines have the oil fill on a slight angle. I've always used a rectangular funnel with a handle (on all of our cars) and on the Hondas, you just turn the handle to face the front of the car, stick a shop rag under the handle to hold it a bit more level, and you're good to go.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Audi, Mercedes and BMW. All of them you can't stick a funnel in

The already suggested:
-cutup water bottle
-cutup oil bottle

cheap regular/short funnel from grocery store (used on my GSW and Mazda5: same problem)

I tried once to get some 1-2 qt ATF into my Mazda5 (not really accessible): It took forever.

You can absolutely use a garden sprayer to pump automotive lubes and fluids. It's usually done for situations where the oil has to be pumped in from below like on lots of transmissions, etc.

I'd hate to have to go through this for an engine oil change, but only you know your setup and what's comfortable for you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by blupupher
so what vehicles do you have? I have never had a vehicle that I could not use some type of funnel in, even when I was changing oil part time at a shop.

Honda V6 engines have the oil fill on a slight angle. I've always used a rectangular funnel with a handle (on all of our cars) and on the Hondas, you just turn the handle to face the front of the car, stick a shop rag under the handle to hold it a bit more level, and you're good to go.

You just need a funnel that's a softer more pliable plastic. On my Odyssey I basically mash down an older funnel so it goes in the fill hole and is kind of stuck there until I remove it. Unfortunately most modern funnels will be a cheaper more brittle plastic that may crack when doing this.

Originally Posted by Astro14
I've got two Motive Products powerfill. Basically a garden sprayer design, but larger pump and larger tubing with a built in fill nozzle and shut off valve, which you would need to add to a garden sprayer.

One is for Mercedes suspension fluid. One is for transmission fluid.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0119DHX7O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's essentially the tarted up version of I was thinking. I have three oil changes coming up soon so this is an opportune time to experiment.

If it works, it can be a cleaner method than using a funnel.

OK. I tried it today and it was a resounding success.

Purchased a 2 gallon heavy duty pressure sprayer from Walmart today for $13. After I vacuumed the oil and measured it, I determined that I need to fill 6 quarts. Filled up the reservoir and pressurized it properly. The sprayer came with a detachable spray head so there was no need to cut off the tip. Places the wand in the fill hole, pressed the trigger and locked it in place. The oil trickled in while I emptied the old oil into the containers. It was about 35 degrees and the oil was thick but all of it got injected into the engine.

After I was done I covered the too with a shower cap and stores it back in its box.

It was a clean and easy process.

Highly recommended for the lazy among us.

That's an interesting idea though, I am too stupid to come with an idea like that. Nevertheless, I still don't get why do you need a construction like that when you can simply call for help and professional people will make everything in your place.

It’s been over a year so I think he figured it out by now.

OK. I tried it today and it was a resounding success.

Purchased a 2 gallon heavy duty pressure sprayer from Walmart today for $13. After I vacuumed the oil and measured it, I determined that I need to fill 6 quarts. Filled up the reservoir and pressurized it properly. The sprayer came with a detachable spray head so there was no need to cut off the tip. Places the wand in the fill hole, pressed the trigger and locked it in place. The oil trickled in while I emptied the old oil into the containers. It was about 35 degrees and the oil was thick but all of it got injected into the engine.

After I was done I covered the too with a shower cap and stores it back in its box.

It was a clean and easy process.

Highly recommended for the lazy among us.

@Alfred_B, I was going to suggest the Motive power filler as well. Hopefully the garden sprayer holds up. Do us a favor? W/B when you use it again, I’d like to know if the seals hold up after exposure to engine oil. Thanks for trying it and letting us know.

-m

Back