Free PDF Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I'm looking for a good free PDF maker to load on my new laptop with Win10 when it arrives. Anyone have a good one to suggest that doesn't have Ads or Bloatware ... or malware?

Searching the 'net there are dozens of them to choose from. I've used CutePFD Writer in the past (still have it on my Win7 machine), but wondering if there are better ones to choose from?

Originally Posted by Rand
what exactly is the usage?
for most print to pdf works.

I want it to generate a PDF that I can then open in Adobe PDF reader of anything I could normally send to a printer.

Originally Posted by wkcars
I use Microsoft Print to PDF that comes with windows

Can you print anything that you could normally send to a printer? For instance, a webpage?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by wkcars
I use Microsoft Print to PDF that comes with windows

Can you print anything that you could normally send to a printer? For instance, a webpage?

Yes it basically looks and acts like a printer except it generates a pdf file that you save somewhere.

If you use Chrome, its print to pdf option is the best. Microsoft's in-built pdf option royally messed up the print (in terms of how its formatted).

If you just want to print the text from the browser, www.printfriendly.com extension for Chrome and Firefox allow you to remove what you want to print and what you don't

FOr general pdf printing, I use Bullzip pdf printer, its the lightest and does the job well, does not come with any other built-in add-ons (https://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-pdf-writer-software.htm) Almost all other come with something added or rather big for what they do and occasionally do send a pop-ups to upgrade.

For pdf viewing, I use Pdf x-change viewer.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Can you print anything that you could normally send to a printer?

Yes, it's just like all of the PDF printer options. You "print to PDF" and instead of it coming out of your printer, it creates a PDF that looks just like what you would have printed.

I download and installed "CutePDF Writer" on my laptop today. I've used CutePDF Writer since about 2008 or so on Windows XP and Window 7. It's up to v4.0 now, and is pretty nice with some added features, like password protection/encryption and permission settings to the created PDF. It has zero bloatware, ads or malware.

I tried out the Windows 10 built-in PDF writer, and although it works, its very limited in the options available within the printer. I couldn't stand on how limited it is, and wanted something more comprehensive in a PDF maker.

CutePDF Writer
https://www.cutepdf.com/index.htm

I also downloaded and installed "Adobe Acrobat Reader", which I've used on my Windows 7 machine for years. Very nice free PDF reader that has some cool features, like adding comments, drawing features, etc. With the CutePDF Writer and Adobe Acrobat Reader it makes for a good combo to print and read/modify PDF files ... all for free.

Adobe Acrobat Reader
https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/pdf-reader.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back