What tread depth at change the tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your golden rule when it comes to changing tires? My current hankook factiry installed tires on civic are at 46K miles, tread is down to 4/32 and almost to the wear bars. I'm noticing very minimal dry rotting but really minimal. Wet road behavior is quite bad lately but overall they are ok tires i guess. Anyway, i feel like it's time to swap them out and have a set of cooper evolutions located for 470$ all including tpms rebuild as well as 4yrs warranty/road hazard protection. Good move ?

Share your habits when it comes to tires folks

Usually when I get sick of them. On my Sonata, they still had 4/32" of tread left but I was tired of the road noise. Got some new Continentals.

Now with the Genesis, tires cost significantly more, and I'm not expecting them to get near the same mileage. So I'll probably run them down much, much lower. Rain isn't very often here. If the tread is low and it's gonna rain, I can drive my Jeep. But when we do get rain is usually in the summer. They'll probably need replacing by 30k miles, so before summer of 2021.

My Jeep's tires were pretty badly dry-rotted at 5 years old, so on went a new set last year. 2-1/2 of those 5 years it was garaged. It's now garaged 100% of the time so maybe it'll make it to 6 years.

I've never gotten close to the wear bars. Usually, if they look worn to me, they're gone. To much riding on them to compromise.

Where it snows 5/32
Where it rains 4/32. For some tires with widening grooves like the Michelin Premier, 3/32
Where it is dry all of the time 3/32

I usually replace around 4-5/32nds

IF you go much lower your chances of getting a flat go up about 5x.

hydroplaning is the main reason though.. that and noise.

Also I'm a tire nut.

I had a few friends ribbing me for using winter tires.. they never needed them..

well one of them did a 360 into a concrete barrier and bought a new $45000 suv so they have awd now to feel safe.

$500 of winter tires would have been better.

I guess its all about priorities.. I make having superior tires a priority.

Summer tires I replace when they're at the wear bars.

Snow tires get replaced when tread is below 50%. There are two sets of wear bars on these - I swap them when the 50% indicator shows.

Originally Posted by parshisa
What is your golden rule when it comes to changing tires? My current hankook factiry installed tires on civic are at 46K miles, tread is down to 4/32 and almost to the wear bars. I'm noticing very minimal dry rotting but really minimal. Wet road behavior is quite bad lately but overall they are ok tires i guess. Anyway, i feel like it's time to swap them out and have a set of cooper evolutions located for 470$ all including tpms rebuild as well as 4yrs warranty/road hazard protection. Good move ?

Share your habits when it comes to tires folks

Time to replace. Once you get past 50% worn, wet traction quickly goes down hill. I change them when they get to 4/32's. I think you answered your own question when you said wet road traction is not good.

Last edited:
There comes a point when new tires look so much better/safer. It happens after 30k or so. New tires ride better too. If you think you need tires, then you probably do.

I replace summer tires as soon as they get squirrely in the rain at highway speeds. That seems to always be around 4-5/32. As for winter tires, they seem to lose their effectiveness below 6/32. If the end of winter arrives with only 6/32 on winter tires, I just leave them on a few more months before scrapping them.

It depends. I've had some sets that I've worn down past the wear bars but they felt ok in the wet--all tires have reduced traction below 4/32's in the rain, so I'd slow down (without being a nuisance to everyone else). My beloved RT43's though feel like they have drastically reduced wet traction at 4/32's so off they come--the Conti's and Michelin's that I have had "felt better" at lower tread depth (but cost more to buy and did not yield better cost/mile thus I do not buy). Generally speaking, when I see them hit 4/32's, I make plans on their replacement, try to time a sale or something.

Snow tires are more like 6/32's--most of my sets have weird wear before then so it's no great surprise, and I'm generally ready for them to be replaced.

My first set of Goodyear (Wrangler) tires had 105,000 before replacing …. I know, I know.
My second (current / same brand) will have 60.000 when replaced.
I over-inflated several lbs and wore out the center tread.

Before my next inspection this Summer I will replace.
I was thinking of getting the Cooper Evolution H/T. Made in U.S.A. / $103 per tire / 60,000 mile warranty

4-5/32nds, good time to start looking for new tires. Imo and ime, not a must have this second, but time to start looking for tires of interest, looking for promotional periods DT/AT and/or rebates. Find something you like, make a move. ~3/32nds more urgent, new tires needed.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
My first set of Goodyear (Wrangler) tires had 105,000 before replacing …. I know, I know.

I was thinking of getting the Cooper Evolution H/T. Made in U.S.A. / $103 per tire / 60,000 mile warranty

That's the tire i have on my pilot, got it installed 5k miles ago - so far so good, quite, good traction and seems to wear in nicely. Although, I didn't do much research (just DT/tirerack) and the price i got them for was 140$ a tire. Oh well.

Originally Posted by parshisa
Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid

That's the tire i have on my pilot, got it installed 5k miles ago - so far so good, quite, good traction and seems to wear in nicely. Although, I didn't do much research (just DT/tirerack) and the price i got them for was 140$ a tire. Oh well.

Don't feel bad.
The $103. per tire price was before any 'additional' (+ $25 per tire) fees were added / plus sales tax.

And to answer your original question: When they won't pass the Yearly Inspection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back