"New" Edge 0w-40 Non- LL01 findings

Looks like the same oil. Test from 9/2019 was old formula, LL-01 approved Castrol Edge 0w-40 European Formula bought at Wally World. New test on 2/4/2020 was the new bottle, without the LL-01 approval.
Also, there was 2 other changes in between, one short, and one normal, with the new oil, so this test could be more conclusive. Car is my wife's 2011 328i, daily driven in the Arizona heat (and cold!) Enjoy.

328I.jpg

welcome2.gif

you're going to break the internet with your first post! Lost of conspiracy theorists will be perplexed. While there's obviously no guarantee they're really the same, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were identical.

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
No moly?
confused2.gif

...but nice slug of Titanium.

It does say it on the bottle, "Fluid Titanium Technology"

Interesting. So they basically dropped the cert by not renewing it. Good on them. I think they can still "recommend" it for LL-01, even though they aren't "approved" for it.

Interesting.

But is there any reason to use the Edge 0w-40 over the 5w-40? The 12/2019 PDS for Edge 5w-40 shows 229.5 approval and LL-01 approval so I think the product may have changed (improved):

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/F7CF571E87BF9A8C802584E000589851/$File/BPXE-AA5D4U.pdf

Originally Posted by The Critic
Interesting.

But is there any reason to use the Edge 0w-40 over the 5w-40? The 12/2019 PDS for Edge 5w-40 shows 229.5 approval and LL-01 approval so I think the product may have changed (improved):

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/F7CF571E87BF9A8C802584E000589851/$File/BPXE-AA5D4U.pdf

We were theorizing last week that BMW is not recertifying 0w oils for LL01 and LL04. Not sure why.

Interesting.

With an 11% Noack, it can't possibly meet MB 229.5, alas, I'm guessing it's just a typo.
smile.gif

Has anyone seen this new Edge 5W-40 on store shelves yet? My stores only have the older (229.3) stuff.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Interesting.

With an 11% Noack, it can't possibly meet MB 229.5, alas, I'm guessing it's just a typo.
smile.gif

Has anyone seen this new Edge 5W-40 on store shelves yet? My stores only have the older (229.3) stuff.

I called Castrol USA earlier and the rep mentioned that recent bottles indicates the new 229.5 approval. However, there was no change in formulation.

I have a 3-pk on order from WM that should be arriving tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Interesting.

smile.gif

I called Castrol USA earlier and the rep mentioned that recent bottles indicates the new 229.5 approval. However, there was no change in formulation.

I have a 3-pk on order from WM that should be arriving tomorrow.

AKA, it was always good for it, they just didn't pay the extortion fee to be able to put the cert on their label... until now.

Originally Posted by BucDan
AKA, it was always good for it, they just didn't pay the extortion fee to be able to put the cert on their label... until now.

How much does it cost to obtain a Mercedes-Benz approval?

Originally Posted by kschachn

Not sure, but as with every licensing and cert, it isn't free, and it has an expiration date.

Not sure, but as with every licensing and cert, it isn't free, and it has an expiration date.

No, not free but when you used the word "extortion" I thought you might know. I guess I struggle that with a company the size of Castrol they are choking on that fee, considering they pay it for the rest of their approvals.

if you want to play you pay unless you want to be one of those companies that prints a lot of "recommended for" on their labels.

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
No moly?
confused2.gif

...but nice slug of Titanium.

And an even better "slug" of Mercedes-Benz 229.5 and Porsche A40 approvals, which it has always had.

Touche' and of much more importance.

If they were already paying "extortion fee" for MB 229.3, then why didn't they just swap it out with MB 229.5 for the same fee? 229.5 supersedes 229.3.

And no, it wasn't always good for 229.5 because its Noack was too high.

Back