NASCAR JOINS the 21st CENTURY

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Along with the new wheels and aerodynamic packages, the Next Gen car will have an independent rear suspension, sequential manual transmission, while hybrid power is under consideration for some tracks."

Best battery wins?

Poor Michael Waltrip never had a win in his Pennzoil sponsored Bahari car. He had a good lead near the end of the Darlington Spring race in '91, when a lug nut jammed in the socket during a green flag pit stop. By the time he got out of the pits, he'd lost the lead, and his best chance at a Winston Cup win for the next ten years. He's probably thinking this came 30 years too late to have helped him.

Originally Posted by Kira
"If only there was a way to drive in the rain... " Are you saying they don't race in the rain?

I think he's saying the Daytona 500 ran on Monday this year.
But he didn't say why.
Got any insight???

I was interested in what tire size they were going to run. I couldn't find much except I saw it mentioned it would be a 14 inch wide 365/35-18 tire. Wow

Dare i say Restrictor plate......

Used to be a huge fan. Apparently I'm not the only one losing interest just look in the stands.

Dying sport.

Originally Posted by Little_Lebowski

Used to be a huge fan. Apparently I'm not the only one losing interest just look in the stands.

Dying sport.

The days of 210+ qualifying speeds at super speedways are over. It's a driver safety issue. Restrictor plates are the result, which leads to packs of cars drafting their ways around the track.

I agree that the sport is dying. It expanded too quickly and didn't respond fast enough when demand fell off. Add in silly stage racing and playoffs that directly contradict with the tastes of the core fans and suddenly the entire fan base, both casual and committed, gravitates to other interests.

And they don't race in the rain.

Unpopular opinion: making sports safer is making them less exciting for fans. Football isn't the same. NASCAR is boring watching an entire field in a line on the super speedways. That's why these people get paid a ton of money. Talent and willing to take extreme risk.

Also, I read that formula one cars have become too wide to allow passing on most road courses like Monaco. Booorrrriinnnngggg.

^^ which is why I left Nascar for Open wheel racing.(I long miss the CART series) F1 is just boring, and that one series where they put all the slow [censored] Porsche cars on the same track, at the same time.

but... I admit getting out of your car and throwing your helmet at other drivers has my attention!

and yes they should race in the rain, they do in Open wheel racing, which is IMO MUCH more dangerous!

Tech and innovation needs to be priorities, and that includes safety. Restriction plates were not an "innovation" it was just more corporate nonsense.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Little_Lebowski

Dying sport.

Sure is, steps like this take NASCAR farther and farther from its roots. Hybrids will be the final nail in the coffin.

Kinda of a shame if the design shown in the link is what they're going to run. That design has been in sports car racing forever, couldn't they come up with something different?

Be interesting to see how they adapt to IRS.

Stupid move, pit stop skills are a part of the race. They already got rid of the catch can, what's next, get rid of refueling because the cans are too heavy? The drivers are kinda boring, I think they should focus more on the pit crew and make stops more difficult. NASCAR isn't about modern technology exactly, more like the evolution of old technology. They don't need to be American DTM.

I watched the 1981 Daytona 500 on YouTube today and it was nice to see that for starters, the cars actually looked like the models they were representing. One make had a sloped rear window, another had a straight one. The cookie cutter looks they have now suck.

It was also the first race with the smaller cars. It was nice to see an actual race, and not the freight train nonsense they have now at Daytona and Talladega. Plus, they were running slower, around 185-190mph. Slow the current cars down, better racing and safer for the drivers.

Originally Posted by JamesBond
Stupid move, pit stop skills are a part of the race. They already got rid of the catch can, what's next, get rid of refueling because the cans are too heavy? The drivers are kinda boring, I think they should focus more on the pit crew and make stops more difficult. NASCAR isn't about modern technology exactly, more like the evolution of old technology. They don't need to be American DTM.

That.

Honestly...they should go the other way: limit pit stops to hand tools. No impact wrenches, no pneumatic jacks...change those tires with a socket wrench!

Too much emphasis is placed on pit stops.

Should be able to perform a pit stop on green and not loose hardly any positions. Also give more G'D room in the pits, nobodies get killed or injured in the pit areas. I know we focus on the cars and drivers. But the Pits are too stressed.

Last edited:
I lost interest when they did COT and started closing the small tracks. If they don't use something that actually looks like factory sheet metal (shapes) and they are not yellow hot brakes banging into turn 1, I'm long gone ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back