Mechanic tools and warranty's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been watching some videos on some of the mechanic tool warranty's. It looks to me Craftsman tools should just , stop making tools they used to be a good tool. They have made their posted warranty of years past a lie.
It looks like Harbor freight does a good job with their warranty. So how about most of the others?

These tools don't come with a warranty but you just smile and replace them if something happens oh and they still work.

[Linked Image]

Just pick the cleanest ones clean them up a little and oil them .50 each.

I have S&K tools I use on my vehicles. Never had to warranty any tool I have that was made by them. Buy once cry once. Cheap tools need their "lifetime warranty" for a reason.

My tool box is 80% Harbor Freight, the rest is just a mix of tool truck brands and other things. I work at a busy shop and put my tools through the ringer, and the HF tools have been just fine. I certainly don't buy them for everything, but for every day repairs they work just fine.

HF also stands behind their warranty. I recently broke my 1/2" breaker bar that I purchased circa-2008, brought it back, and was handed a new one without hesitation. The cashier actually commented that mine was an old unit that had been subject to recall, although he couldn't remember why. That breaker bar endured 12 years of abusive shop use (think extension pipes, full body weight, etc).

I'd be willing to wager that many if not most HF tools will handle more than their share of the work load, for the price.

I never buy a tool with the expectation that I'll need the warranty, and it has been rare that I ever did. If something is wonky I notice right away and return it.

Craftsman, meh it is a mixed bag. If you buy the newer stuff from Ace or Lowe's, there should be no problem exchanging it there for the same part #. The issue is if you have an old part # that they don't stock, then you call the phone # for replacement.

Certainly this is a downgrade on the warranty and not what people were counting on when they bought their tools in past years, so it feels like a betrayal, but today it is no different to buy them at Lowes or Ace than HF tools at HF. Either of them are just passable quality made overseas to a price point, so if that's the best value proposition to your use, it may or may not be the same needs that someone else has.

Neither are the tools you're going to want if you use them every day. Life is too short to keep making trips to a store for exchange or busting your knuckles.

I just returned an old Craftsman ratchet (15 years old from Sears) to Lowe's. No matching part number needed, just a visual comparison back in "Tool World" by one of the employees and 30 seconds more up at the return desk, done. 3/8" standard ratchet that stripped the innards

I recently went to Sears to have a 1/4" drive ratchet warrantied, and to HF to do the same with a 1/4" drive flex head ratchet warrantied. Sears ended up giving me a re-manufactured Chinese POS to replace my US made wrench, and HF grabbed a new one off the shelf. I should have refused the garbage from Sears, but I had three others at home and ended up taking it. Since Sears quality has gone down the tubes, and the quality as of late is on par with HF for many items, I'm pretty much done with Craftsman tools.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I recently went to Sears to have a 1/4" drive ratchet warrantied, and to HF to do the same with a 1/4" drive flex head ratchet warrantied. Sears ended up giving me a re-manufactured Chinese POS to replace my US made wrench, and HF grabbed a new one off the shelf. I should have refused the garbage from Sears, but I had three others at home and ended up taking it. Since Sears quality has gone down the tubes, and the quality as of late is on par with HF for many items, I'm pretty much done with Craftsman tools.

I had an opposite issue. They gave me a heavily used US made 3/8" in place of my Chinese 3/8." The guts are likely Chinese too.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by demarpaint

I had an opposite issue. They gave me a heavily used US made 3/8" in place of my Chinese 3/8." The guts are likely Chinese too.

I guess it's the luck of the draw.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
I have S&K tools I use on my vehicles. Never had to warranty any tool I have that was made by them. Buy once cry once. Cheap tools need their "lifetime warranty" for a reason.

There is a lot to be said for that line of thinking.

I rarely break tools. Don't abuse them and they last a long time. I bought My IR231 impact in 1987 and it's still going today. Same with the sockets I bought to use with it.

Don't put pipes on ratchets etc.

I do keep some old tools like old Craftsman ratchets, sockets, screwdrivers and wrenches for nothing but abusing but if they break in the bin they go I wouldn't even consider trying to warranty them.
When I use these things they are being used with a pipe, press or BFH and fully anticipate the thing may well be broken doing it.
No loss just grab another from the flea market for a couple of bucks. My good tools get used most of the time but I don't abuse them with those antics.

In Canada it's Mastercraft and Maximum, both from Canadian Tire. Lifetime Warranty on all hand tools. I busted and die holder once and they gave me a complete new set, and that's without a receipt.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Not a video, but from the actual Craftsman site. I don't see anything to complain about warranty wise. Craftsman has been made by many companies, now it is Black and Decker who also make Proto. The new model Craftsman it says start with cmmt, not 9 anymore.

https://www.craftsman.com/customer-care/warranty-information

The verbiage: "Return damaged product to a stocking Retail Partner or call 888-331-4569 for details." I went to Lowes with my ratchet and was sent packing since they knew by the part # it was an old tool. I had to go to Sears with it. Once Sears finally goes belly up, it will be call in for warranty coverage I'm thinking. The good news is you don't need a receipt.

Hi my name is Andy D, I'm a shade tree hack. I'm also a tool abuser. I have a 20yr old Craftsman 1/2 ratchet. The direction lever is just a sliver. and is a PITN to work but it works. I use it along with a 3' cheater. I haven't warrantee'd it yet, because it has handled this sort of abuse well. The HF 72 tooth extendable handle now does normal 1/2" duty. My question is should I return the Craftsman? What will I get? Chinesium or ? I rarely use 1/2" drive any more. I toss nickels around like they were manhole covers Have thick skin so feel free to opine.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Trav

There is a lot to be said for that line of thinking.

+1

I've never had to warranty a tool*

* I could have, I suppose....There was that Craftsman 3/8" drive deep 13mm that I used with an air ratchet decades ago...when it shattered, I realized that I needed to get some 3/8" impacts for that ratchet, and I bought a new, made in the USA socket from Sears as I reckoned the breakage was my fault.

Last edited:

I have a SK ratchet that is missing half of the area that holds the ratchet assembly, all broke away, the rest of the handle looks great. In the tool test videos SK did not do too well. My old 1964 or so SK sockets are very soft and show lots of wear. SK over priced for the quality. I also have some very worn Snap ons as well. If you never had to warranty a tool then you must not use them much. The tools I warrantied the most where old US Craftsman flex sockets that were assembled using roll pins, yeah stupid, they ended up with the whole set back. I think I ended up with Protos, and then years later craftsman woke up, maybe from all the returns and started using solid pins.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Exhaustgases

I have a SK ratchet that is missing half of the area that holds the ratchet assembly, all broke away, the rest of the handle looks great. In the tool test videos SK did not do too well. My old 1964 or so SK sockets are very soft and show lots of wear. SK over priced for the quality. I also have some very worn Snap ons as well. If you never had to warranty a tool then you must not use them much. The tools I warrantied the most where old US Craftsman flex sockets that were assembled using roll pins, yeah stupid, they ended up with the whole set back. I think I ended up with Protos, and then years later craftsman woke up, maybe from all the returns and started using solid pins.

I'm not a professional mechanic, but I've been wrenching on my own vehicles for approximately 30 years. All of my S&K tools are from the 1990's with a few exceptions. Ymmv.

Originally Posted by Exhaustgases

I went back and re-read your post and let me get this straight....you're complaining about nearly 60 year old tools? Seriously? All tools will eventually wear out. I don't care who makes them. You should be VERY happy with your S&K tools. Have you ever heard the saying, "nothing lasts forever"? Lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back