Ok to use non-Toyota diff and TC fluids for LS460 AWD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New daily is a 2012 LS460 AWD aquired at 121k miles. Now at 127k. Stage 0 in process.

I've scoured the interwebs but the answer is inconclusive as to whether it is safe to use aftermarket fluid in the transfer case, as there seems to be some special additive that Toyota puts in to it, and a $70/L pricetag.

For the ATF, it appears that Idemitsu ATF Type TLS-LV (WS) is what Toyota rebrands as their own ATF.

For the differentials, I'd like to use Liqui Moly 75W-90 Fully Synthetic Gear Oil.

I really don't want do eff up my car with substandard fluid and will pay for the OE crap if I must. Help is appreciated.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
First thing to do is see what is called for in your owner's manual. I believe your Differential calls for 75w-85 and your Transfer Case uses some kind of special oil.

I'd find out what the Lexus dealer uses as you may be surprised. I would bet they use 75w-90 in both and you would probably be ok with your Liquid Moly 75w-90 in both.

The only thing I know I would purchase OEM is the Toyota WS ATF. I believe you are mistaken in believing the Idemitsu TLS -LV is rebranded WS. AIsin WS may be the same as Toyota WS.

You have a super ride!

I have a 2013 Tacoma four-wheel drive, none of the fluids in the in the truck except for the transmission, which is a five-speed Auto ,I haven't changed it yet everything else is either Pennzoil 5-30 Platinum for the engine ,differentials front rear and transfer case I'm using Mobil 1 75-90, as long as it meets the requirements specifications you should be okay, but it's one of those buyer beware in my case of my transfer case it calls for fluid is gl4 or gl5 ,so again I'm using the mobile 1 75-90 in the front differential transfer case and rear differential

TOMB

Last edited:
I used in my wife's '01 LEXUS RX300, Mobil 1 - 75W90 LS in both the transfer case & rear differential.with great success.

Instead of using examples of cars that are several years different than the OP, let's look at what Toyota recommends for his year:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So, back to the original question: is it OK to use Liqui Moly 75w90 synthetic (a GL5) where Toyota 75W85 GL5 is specified?

My answer is yes.

Last edited:
I'm using 75w90 for the front and rear diffs in my brothers 2010 Tacoma that specifies 75w85.
At its next service (30k miles), my Moms 2016 4Runner will also be getting 75w90 (Spec is 75w85) in the front and rear differentials. The transfer case on the 4Runner calls for 75w gear oil, I'm thinking I will probably put some Royal Purple Syncromax in it.

http://www.royalpurple.com/wp-conte...ansmission_Lubricant_Cross_Reference.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back