Dumped four gallons of used oil on the garage floor

Status
Not open for further replies.
...."well shoot, if that don't beat all"

i haven't forgot to put a drain plug back on before adding oil since i did it some 48 years ago, happens to us all.. I caught it pretty quick after only one quart in though!

i do continue to make messes though usually a bit here or there and i use either kitty litter or the oil absorbant clay pellets thingy's, after most of the easy oil is contained and removed, i put some more absorbent down and then i use a tamper to crush it down to a powder and help get more of the oil that sticks to the floor, then go over it with oven cleaner and a rag.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KD0AXS
I did this last time I changed the oil in my truck, except I didn't just spill used oil. I forgot to put the drain plug back in and dumped 4 gallons of Rotella T6 in, which went right out the bottom and overflowed my drain pan all over the floor. Obviously the one small bag of kitty litter I had on hand wasn't enough. Had to go get more litter and 4 more gallons of oil.

[Linked Image]

I did the same exact thing but I didn't take pics. Didn't need to as wife was standing right there. I used kitty litter to get the bulk of the oil up and then used fireplace ashes and dry cement. They are both so dry, it will pull the oil out. Worked great on mine. Can't even tell it was there. The hardwood ashes make lye which is a cleaning agent. I use this (ashes) mixed with water to clean the creosote off the glass on my wood heater's door. Good luck.

Last edited:
A kid driving a later model Corolla spewed ATF for about 100 feet and stopped in front of my house where a puddle formed.
I have 2 cats so I have litter. I poured it all over. Worked about as good as could be.
Stuff happens. I hate it when stuff happens.

Spread kitty litter or oil dri and let it do it's thing . Sweep it up and reapply , then grind it in with your foot . The powdered litter will get down into the pores of the concrete . Ask me how I know ...

kitty litter, sweep, reapply, grind in with foot, sweep again. Then soak the stain down with something like acetone or paint thinner, I like the non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Just make sure you have all the doors open. When it's good and soaked shake on another layer of kitty litter and grind it in again, it'll suck up the solvent which should have pulled up most of the oil stain. Might have to repeat a couple times if it's soaked in good.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Why do you have used oil in a bucket in the first place? They sell proper drain pans that are nearly impossible to tip over and much easier to empty.

It was actually one of those plastic storage tubs. The oil had been in a big metal varnish can but the plastic spout had cracked and had let water in. I was going to settle out the water and repackage it in good bottles so I could haul it off to the recycling place rather than just let it gradually soak into the soil.

No good deed goes unpunished. It cost me $20 in kitty litter to soak it all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back