Using ramps for oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, probably rules out extended quality lubes and filters. Our Fusion hybrid is a pain ... using M1 AP/M1 filter, but it's not DI. My DI GM's have the drain and filter past the end of the pans ... best I have seen.

Originally Posted by superfat_dad
Yes, in 2019 year model the filter is no longer up top next to the motor, its down below covered by an undercarriage cover along with the oil pan. See, the drain bolt is facing back so front ramps would drain it, but the filter is facing forward (4 O'clock position)

Certainly NO to reusing a filter. and certainly NO to having some shop do my oil change.

A few years ago I took my RAM 1500 to a Mobil 1 Lube Express, they installed the wrong filter and cross-threaded it as well, cost me an arm and a leg at the dealer and almost voided my warranty. Jiffy Lube also a NO, you all watched the undercover video on YouTube of what they do right? Just do it yourself and sleep better at night.

Smart man.

i used to jack up my vehicles with a floor jack and stands. now i have 2 vehicles that are so low and the jacking area is far back that my jacks can barely reach. i tried the old steel ramps i have had for years and the angle would hit the bumper. went out and bought some plastic ramps and they work great. use them for oil changes now. they raise the vehicle just enough to get under it and remove the trays and stuff.

i also figured out that its easier to drive it on to the ramps, then put my floor jack on the jacking area and then jack it up, remove the ramps and replace with jack stands when doing a tire rotation .

That was one of my "requirements" when I bought the house! Sloped driveway, so the car on ramps is horizontal.

Well, actually, I prefer level driverway as much as possible (think, well, that was a long time ago, playing basketball? Its gonna bounce and bounce and bounce... more running for the ball!). But, yeah, but more importantly is how many car garage its got !!!!!!! I am sure it's same for most of us
smile.gif

As few mention, I go down to near end of driveway and two front ramps, it still little higher than level, but prefect actually. For me, I make sure the ramps are up against the lines of the concrete, it does moves (I have the 'ol metal heavy ramps, maybe time to get new lighter ones?).

Also, as mention, level (host lifts) or ramps, all is good.

As for my first oil change on my Toronado, I had to take off the FR wheel to access the oil filter! I am gonna have to see how to do it for future oil changes!

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I would think today's vehicles are too low to the ground to use ramps ?

They are making low angle ramps now that aren't as steep as the older ones. I made my own from 2x8 lumber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back