Can you use a sample from the oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to do an oil analysis for my last oil change, But I have a Quick Lube do my oil changes with my own oil and filter and I wasn't sure if they would remember to sample the oil.

I was able to take back my old oil filter and drain some oil remains to a container.

Could this remaining oil from the filter be used for analysis? Or will it be contaminated with the dirt inside the filter pleats?

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Yes you can: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/information/faqs/gas-diesel-questions/

"What about the oil left in the filter? Can I use that instead?
Sure, just make a note on the slip that the oil came from the filter. If something really bizarre shows up, we'll take that into account. It shouldn't change much in the analysis, though."

I would not believe that statement from Blackstone.

Get a sample pump.

Originally Posted by Donald
Yes you can: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/information/faqs/gas-diesel-questions/

Sure, just make a note on the slip that the oil came from the filter. If something really bizarre shows up, we'll take that into account. It shouldn't change much in the analysis, though."

Get a sample pump.

Why not?

Originally Posted by Donald

Get a sample pump.

Why not?

You want the best possible oil for a sample. Not the worst. Best possible being that the sample represents all the oil in the oil pan. Thats why when draining you let the oil drain a bit before capturing the sample.

You will always be wondering if the contaminants are high. Bad sample or real issues with contaminants.

Sample pump is about $25 or $30. Probably $2.00 worth of tubing per sample. (You should not reuse the tubing going into the oil pan.)

I haven't seen any data showing elevated contaminants from filter oil. Particles are trapped in the filter media. If you have data otherwise I'd like to see it. Thank you.

The oil that will come out of your oil filter will be right before it passes through the media. It would not be my normal choice but it should be fine for a sample if you take care in pouring it out.

"You want the best possible oil for a sample. Not the worst. Best possible being that the sample represents all the oil in the oil pan. Thats why when draining you let the oil drain a bit before capturing the sample."

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back