now... polish the aluminum rims?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlBWMKuwid8

I was just watching all kinds of videos... and I came across this one (link above). Sure would be nice if I could polish my rims to like this? Best of all, my rims only have one "flat" side, no insides, no groves to worry about. Since my rims are sitting in the basement, drying (today is day 2), I thought why not polish it up, especially now that I don't have tires on 'em (no weights, no stems)!

By looking at the video (and few others), I can do the sanding (will need to look for 600 grit), but do I need all three or four buffer wheels? Can I just one sand and one buff? Is there a shortcut version? If all those equipment going to cost too much, I am gonna skip the whole thing.

I don't care about the inside groves, yet, should I spray (flat or gloss) black just to make it more black or better to leave it alone (avoid more paint mess and possible more work)? That black spray paint should be before starting the sanding to mirror?

[Linked Image]

besides needing the proper tools ONLY quality non porous aluminum will polish nicely! had a set of Budnicks on a 72 Cutlass, they are only made to order + were $$ years ago today even more $$$$ many thought they were chrome as in about 2 hrs by hand they looked NEW, the car is still local + those Billet Aluminum rims still look great as the owner like me loves them!!

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Are those Pontiac wheels?

Nope.. Oldsmobile Toronado. I took the center clip out (still have those to put back). Well, they could have been GM interchange parts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjy
besides needing the proper tools ONLY quality non porous aluminum will polish nicely!

Are you saying those Toronado wheel will NOT polish into "chrome"?

I didn't watch the whole thing, but not protecting the hands lacks common sense. I've done a number of aluminum wheels over the years. My method was a good cleaning first followed by painting those recessed areas. When dry simply using the various grades of wet/dry sanding paper to first cut the overspray paint and clear coating. I keep the water hose nearby to flush surfaces and keep the sheets from loading up and followed by aluminum polish and then wax. I also pay some attention to the sealing bead area. Generally, I did all by hand and about an hour spent for each wheel. Good luck!

You can use a DA sander using various grades of paper. I would start with 400 wet/dry with water and a drop or two of dawn and move up to 2000 before polishing with a buffing wheel, cones, etc.
Make sure to clear coat them with a good high end 2K clear.

Are you saying those Toronado wheel will NOT polish into "chrome"?

No answer to this question?

What's the different between these two packages? The second link (cheaper) doesn't list or show picture of what's included?

https://www.amazon.com/Zephyr-Super-Shine-Polishing-Kit/dp/B06X19Z6F3
and
https://www.amazon.com/Zephyr-8-Piece-Buffing-Kit/dp/B01K8J2XPW

I was going to order this LINK> (only $17.99), but this doesn't include a drill adaptor and bottle polish and the picture shows the finish isn't that "chrome" finish as the YouTube shows.

If you know of something else ("chrome" polishing kit), let me know. Thank you.

I email to Zephyr and they just replied. I am going to order a package, for half off from common Amazon sales. I will post the results. Understand the rims I have would the EASIEST job to do, wouldn't it? The earth is flat, one side, convex, wipe out the table, it would be a new world, no President would be able to do that job.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ChristianReske
@ CNT: Dont tell me you dont have companys like the one from my Video in the US? Really?
laugh.gif

That procedure is awesome. Almost no human work on these cleaning and shining the wheels! As I didn't look around enough to make aware of what's around here. Nonetheless, it looks expensive, but seems done right. As for my wheels, since it's still drying (day 7 now), thought why not to polish up the wheel with what's available for the cheapest way ($50 in my case, still little lot, but not bad).

Since I already (clear coat) painted the bead area, the video procedure looks like it would remove the paint (as well everything), correct?

Besides, yours is in Germany. I could imagine what's it like there. I never visit Germany. My kids went to German Immersion School, and my daughter (now in college studying Engineering) has some kind of passport to go to Germany. Hope she uses it. In fact, she has been offered a internship job in Engineering, that company HQ is Germany (her interview said she will have to do some traveling, hopefully it will include Germany!).

Lastly, best car I had was (80's, stick) VW Jetta GL (bought it @ 100K mileage and new tires right away, 60K on those Pirelli tires, still look new! used 45PSI on those). On the door sticker, it says, "Made in West Germany"
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back