Is this a primer “bulb”/ plunger?

I have an old Gilson rear tine tiller that was basically given to me. Sat for a while. Has a 5 horse twin crank Briggs.

Is this how you prime the engine? I can't find any model, part numbers etc.

01AA20A2-2A91-4A1A-85CF-0A5F42D20630.jpeg

C4D77C1A-8B1A-4AA8-A589-E699E874290A.jpeg

Well, push it and find out & let us know. However, it also looks like a fuel shutoff. But then, it's above the gas tank instead of below. Let us know!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Being just below the air filter, I would say it is the choke. Pull off the air filter for a look.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
Being just below the air filter, I would say it is the choke. Pull off the air filter for a look.

+1 that's what it is.

It is the choke--pull out to crank and push in to run.

PS...given the state of greasiness, I would invest in a can of Berryman B-12 Chemtool and clean the outside and spray some down into the carb too.

Its def a choke, 100%. I had a gocart as a teen and and it dident have a kill switch. I used the choke lever in the picture to shut the engine down.

That's the choke.
When the engine doesn't start, check thhat the valves are not stuck open. That happens when an engine like that is stored in that manner.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Well, push it and find out & let us know. However, it also looks like a fuel shutoff. But then, it's above the gas tank instead of below. Let us know!
smile.gif

It's seized. Figured I should know if it's supposed to move before I add penetrating oil and force.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Its def a choke, 100%. I had a gocart as a teen and and it dident have a kill switch. I used the choke lever in the picture to shut the engine down.

Does it rotate or move in and out?

The carburetor needs to be taken apart and cleaned. The gas tank may be rusty. The diaphragm needs to be replaced, it's hard.

It is push - pull don't rotate. It appears to be at or near the fully out (choked) position now. It's pretty obvious how it works if you look down the air intake. Be careful with solvent because there are several plastic and rubber parts. Some late production ones had the whole carb body made of plastic.

Thanks everyone for the info. Sure wish I could find a model number.

Saw one a while back on eBay that looked identical with the twin output shaft, but didn't realize I needed the model until after it was sold. Lol.

Originally Posted by dlundblad

Saw one a while back on eBay that looked identical with the twin output shaft, but didn't realize I needed the model until after it was sold. Lol.

Model/serial numbers should be engraved on upper side of the flywheel housing, in the area to the side of the Briggs sticker. It's likely covered in rust.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino

Does it rotate or move in and out?

Pull out for choke, push in for run.

Originally Posted by Lubener

Model/serial numbers should be engraved on upper side of the flywheel housing, in the area to the side of the Briggs sticker. It's likely covered in rust.

I'll check it out tonight. Thanks.

130202 is the series I think, but the rest of the model looks to be ground off. I can hardly read the serial number too. It's odd.

I was able to confirm spark last night as well as get the choke moving freely. I also ordered a new spark plug. It was cheaper on eBay to buy 2 and they were Briggs parts to boot.

1EFA228C-8AAA-4EB7-AC3E-E91F3D613183.jpeg

Last edited:
Back