EBAY Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain to me how to sell something on EBAY? I need to know, in simplest terms, how to post it, shipping, and receiving payment.
My son bought me a new Alpine head unit from for my birthday from CRUTCHFIELD. My current radio is also an Alpine head unit, but it's 13 years old. That's what l want to sell on EBAY for about $25-$30.
Thank You!
smile.gif

Surely a YouTube video already exists.
I think you'll also find that almost nobody wants a 13 year old Alpine head unit.

But you never know...
Good luck!!!
cheers3.gif

The aggravation you'll go through to sell a $25 electronic device on Ebay won't be worth it. Especially if you have to learn to use Ebay to do it.

Drop it off at your favorite charity thrift store and don't look back. Try Craigslist or FB first if you really need the $25.

It's really easy to list an item but you need a paypal account to get paid easily. It's not worth it unless you do. Mostly when you go to list the item, ebay will sort of walk you through it.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Can someone explain to me how to sell something on EBAY? I need to know, in simplest terms, how to post it, shipping, and receiving payment.

My current radio is also an Alpine head unit, but it's 13 years old.

First thing to do is search eBay for this model and see what they sell for. I'll repeat part of that: What they sell for. What they list for doesn't mean squat.

Really though, don't waste your time.

I'd donate it to the VOA and request a tax receipt. They give you one which you fill in the value.
So if your in the 32% tax bracket and you put a $30 value on the radio, it'll reduce your federal income tax $9.60.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I'd donate it to the VOA and request a tax receipt. They give you one which you fill in the value.
So if your in the 32% tax bracket and you put a $30 value on the radio, it'll reduce your federal income tax $9.60.

Can you do that with standard deduction or only if you itemize?

Originally Posted by skyactiv

But only if you itemize. If you don't, you'll just get the satisfaction of making a donation but no tax deduction.

Other problem is you'll be a seller with 0 reputation. I've been very leery of bidding on 0 reputations for years.
A couple of months ago I bid before looking. Seller never shipped. Had listed and not shipped before, according to his history.
Expect to list for 30% less than a seller with a rep., until you build a reputation.

I never thought about donating it. But that's better than trying to sell it on EBAY, or anywhere else.
Thank you for the replies. I will be dropping it off at my church this Sunday.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Wolf359
...you'll just get the satisfaction of making a donation but no tax deduction.

Yeap, I don't need anything else....

"Would you like a receipt for your donation, sir ?"
"Nope, I just hope it goes to good use."

Definitely donate. It doesn't sound like you want to go through the aggravation of learning how to sell online, and dealing with buyers. Take peace in knowing it will go to someone who will appreciate it.

I have a feedback of about 300, mostly from buying. Son bought a wrong video game whatzit so I sold for the first time in ~10 years. They made it super easy.

Paypal prints the shipping label for you, and they get a 28% commercial discount with the post office.

Even if eBay gets ~11% of the sale, if they open up a new marketplace to you that's worth a 20% premium over craigslist, it's worth it. And they know it.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Why not sell it locally on CL or FB Marketplace? Otherwise the cost of shipping may make it prohibitively expensive.

X2

Unless if has something somebody needs like the face.

Originally Posted by JustinH
ebay takes 10 percent plus paypal fees. So figure that into the mix. I used to sell on there, had a store with 4500 items. No longer.

thumbsup2.gif

Now buyers are having to pay sales tax on hand me downs and used items.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Definitely donate. It doesn't sound like you want to go through the aggravation of learning how to sell online, and dealing with buyers. Take peace in knowing it will go to someone who will appreciate it.

Can't imagine donated car stereos sell at church fundraisers and will likely be thrown away. Why not put some effort into it to sell it on CL or FBMP for $25-$30 and THEN donate the money. All the while making some teen with a beat up $500 Civic happy to boot.

My brother uses a neighborhood app to sell all kinds of junk that he picks up on the side of the road and various other places. I am amazed at what junk folks will pay anywhere from $5 to $20 for if it is available on an app somewhere close where they can drive by with cash in hand and take home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back