Efficiency of Mahle Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
"Nominal Efficiency" typically means the efficiency at 50%. So that would equate to 50% @ 13 microns in this case.
Can you extrapolate to what it might theoretically be at 95%?

From an earlier post in this thread, and basing it off their 50% @ 18u spec for the OC 1177:

The specifications for OC 1177 are:

Beta Ratio:
50% -- 18 micron
75% -- 24 micron
90% -- 28 micron

So my best guess would be around 90% @ 20u and 95% @ 25u.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
"Nominal Efficiency" typically means the efficiency at 50%. So that would equate to 50% @ 13 microns in this case.
Can you extrapolate to what it might theoretically be at 95%?

From an earlier post in this thread, and basing it off their 50% @ 18u spec for the OC 1177:

The specifications for OC 1177 are:

Beta Ratio:
50% -- 18 micron
75% -- 24 micron
90% -- 28 micron

So my best guess would be around 90% @ 20u and 95% @ 25u.

Thanks Zee; I must have missed it. I surmise the efficiency is not too bad then and likely in line with **most** filters like it (except perhaps a FRAM Ultra).

Thanks again.

^^^ Any time. 95% @25u isn't too far off from standard WIX at 95% @ 20u.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Still better than what Wix told me about their standard filters. I can't remember the exact figure but it was worse than that.

WIX standard oil filters (not the XP) are 95% @ 20 microns. That's much better than 50% @ 18 microns.

That's not what they told me a couple months ago. Maybe they gave me wrong info or have published new data. Where did you see that? I'm talking standard Wix, btw, not their premium filter.

Typically it's shown on WIX's website in the beta ratio info. I'm thinking someone at WIX doesn't know what they're reading from.

What filter number did you ask about? I'm assuming "their premium filter" you mean the XP full synthetic filter.

I asked about the filter for the newest Pentastars. Fram equivalent 11665.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I like the brand. I mostly run these in the wife's Volvo. If RA is sold out, I'll get a Mann, but they usually end up a little wavy. The Mahle always looks new and is the cheapest option to boot.

I might have to try these on my brothers 2016 Jeep. What year is your Pentastar OP? (Sorry if you have it in your signature, can't see it on my phone.) I believe they made a change around 2014. Lately we've just been using Mopar. Always seems to hold up the best.

It is a 2018 JL with the Pentastar Upgrade, or some call it the Gen 2 Pentastar. Same as in current Wranglers and Grand Cherokees.

WIX standard oil filters (not the XP) are 95% @ 20 microns. That's much better than 50% @ 18 microns.

That's not what they told me a couple months ago. Maybe they gave me wrong info or have published new data. Where did you see that? I'm talking standard Wix, btw, not their premium filter.

Typically it's shown on WIX's website in the beta ratio info. I'm thinking someone at WIX doesn't know what they're reading from.

What filter number did you ask about? I'm assuming "their premium filter" you mean the XP full synthetic filter.

I asked about the filter for the newest Pentastars. Fram equivalent 11665.

Is it the WIX WL10010?

If so, WIX shows the beta ratio as 2/75=13/35 which means 50% @ 13u and 98.7% @ 35u. So yeah, it's worse than their typical spin-on efficiency of 95% @ 20u.

https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=1876852

As noted by others I suspect it will be very difficult to find authoritative Mahle efficiency information, ie, in the form of 'published' in standard ISO 4548-12 notation. That said, I bet that no different than the Mopar OEM cartridge. That being the case, the Mopar may or may not be even at the level some of the beta information posted previously. Lots of vehicles, even members vehicles here running OEM filters with unknown efficiency.

Based on that I'd say if authoritative efficiency data a priority, then imo likely should chose a filter that provides that up front.

Mahle is an old company well respected, whatever media they choose will probably be the best they know how to make. Or buy, maybe media isn't even made by most companies. Seeing the Champ Labs synthetic with the black wire square mesh it sure looks just like the Wix Platinum. One is rated 98.7@20 the other not. What are the chances two companies would come up with identical looking media down to the wire mesh each on their own. Zero I would say are the chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back