2007 Toyota Matrix XR

A friend is looking at it with nearly 149K miles and automatic transmission and maintenance records.

Are there any known trouble spots or issues? Overall reviews for 1st Gen seems to be good. Thanks for any insights and help.

Change the VVTi filter. It is a 14mm bolt and the part is like $6. Change all fluids. Check the brakes for runout and shim if needed. Good little cars, we had a 2003 Pontiac Vibe (same as a Matrix) and kept it from 21k until 163k. Got rid of it when the AC compressor went. Only major issue we had other than that was it kept killing blower motors. I finally replaced the blower motor resistor as well and that seemed to fix the issue of the blowers going bad after a year. The paint sucked.

I think the odometer stays stuck at 199999 or something weird like that unless they changed it.

I liked the looks and quality of one not too long ago. It was a lower mileage beauty but the "family vibe" wasn't strong enough.

Ended up with an '05 Ranger. I still look longingly at the service station whenever I pass it.

Check for the most common oil leak. Timing chain tensioner o-ring. Passenger side of the engine bay behind the belt tensioner/valve cover. $30 part and 2 10mm nuts. Very easy DIY. Matrix/Vibes are well built, reliable hatchback Corollas. Had a 2003 Vibe from 65K to 135K before it was totaled in an accident. Nothing but routine maintenance.

My friends 06 vibe is the best car he's ever had; early on those engines tended to burn oil IIRC but that was resolved in maybe 05.

If a toyota drivetrain surrounded by a GM car is great, imagine what one surrounded by a Toyota car could be....

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
If a toyota drivetrain surrounded by a GM car is great, imagine what one surrounded by a Toyota car could be....

Exactly the same, as the "Vibe" version was never a GM penned design to begin with.

I have an 03 Matrix. Check for oil leaks, everywhere. Known problem for 03 - 09 Corolla, Vibe and Matrix. Crankshaft seal, tensioner, valve cover gasket, you name it, the oil leaked. New seals and no more leaks. The gasket around the windshield leaks.

They are good cars. The Matrix/Vibe is just a Corolla wagon
smile.gif

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I think the odometer stays stuck at 199999 or something weird like that unless they changed it.

it's 299999

I had an 03 bought new. Sold it at 125K. Cat was replaced under warranty but everything else was perfect until the day I sold it.

Originally Posted by NO2
Good find if it is clean. A bit underpowered though.
They're not bad, the VVt-i rewards a lead foot-keep it cooking at 4K RPM or above, it'll move!

I have an 06 Matrix with 148K on it that I bought new. Other than brakes and tires I have replaced the intake manifold gasket and the catalytic converter and associated exhaust pipes. Great car that will hold lots of stuff with the back seats folded down. I plan on keeping it for a few more years at least.

Rear AWD diff bearing issues if the owner did not change rear diff oil regularly. If they buy it change the rear diff oil ASAP.

The struts are probably shot on that thing. Stabilizer bar will need 2 new bushing. Intake manifold gasket can develop a tiny air leak.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72

It gets stuck at 299,999 miles.

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
My friends 06 vibe is the best car he's ever had; early on those engines tended to burn oil IIRC but that was resolved in maybe 05.

The Matrix/Vibe was just that. The Pontiac version was designed and built by Toyota at a Toyota factory and had only some cosmetic differences between it and the Matrix.

The Pontiac was a much better buy for a long time, too, given as you could often get insane discounts at the Pontiac dealer but few, if any, from Toyota.

That said, the Matrix/Vibe was a great car. One of the best small cars Toyota ever made, IMO. Very practical, reliable, and the top models were actually pretty quick for their time. It's essentially a Corolla hatchback, with optional AWD. It's not a drag racer and never will be, but it's adding even more good stuff to an already good car.

Back