Use a garden sprayer pump to fill oil

Has anyone used a garden sprayer pump to fill up oil I stead of filling the engine with a funnel?

All my cars don't allow the spout of the funnel to rest safely on the oil filler opening so I have to hold the funnel with one hand and the 5 liter jug with the other. The problem can be solved by pumping the oil and a garden sprayer is the cheapest route I can come up with. 0w-40 oil should have low enough viscosity to be pumped ok.

I would pay one of your kids $1.00 to hold the funnel.

I avoid anything that could introduce dirt.

Now a dedicated MityVac would be another story.

Look at other funnels. Make one from a QT oil container.

What about getting something with adapters like,

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Those adapters are cool. But I'm way too cheap for that. My 2016 Mercedes V6 had a sensor just inside the filler opening (go figure that engineering feat out) so I made a funnel to do the job.

I used a 2 liter Coke bottle, cut a notch out of the spout that would go beside the sensor, and BAM! Perfect fit, now the sensor makes it non slip, and the large opening makes it drip free.

If you can't solve it with a different funnel, just pour the oil into a smaller container. I don't know why anyone would even consider a garden sprayer unless they had a hour or 2 to spare, and never be able to use the sprayer for anything else. Might as well fill it with an oilcan.

I just cut the spout of a funnel off about 2-3" from the base of the funnel so it rests nicely in the opening.
Option 2 is I have some empty quart bottles laying around, I cut one in half and use that as a funnel.

Using a garden sprayer to fill the oil seems way more complicated and time consuming than it needs to be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kira
It's a 100% foolish idea.

It's so foolish that I'm surprised nobody has cried "troll".

"Troll" is when people say or ask stupid things just to see the reaction, right?

Like you just posted?

Not sure why everyone is hating on this idea, this method works great for differential and transmission fill ports that are impossible to fill with a normal funnel.

That's why you have a wife, if you have one. She can hold the funnel after she is finished cooking dinner.

Originally Posted by atikovi
What about getting something with adapters like,

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Hey, thats really cool! What brand/model is it? Does it come with multiple threaded ends or are the a la carte (like the motiv power bleeder)?

Back