MC 75W-140 @ 44.9k; 15 Fusion PTU 135k

Just thought I'd share this one.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Any reason you stuck with Motorcraft? I know a lot of Fusion owners that have switched to Amsoil or Mobil 1. I did my first one at the dealer so Motorcraft was used. I think next time I'll use Amsoil.

Originally Posted by jcartwright99
Any reason you stuck with Motorcraft? I know a lot of Fusion owners that have switched to Amsoil or Mobil 1. I did my first one at the dealer so Motorcraft was used. I think next time I'll use Amsoil.

No reason in particular other than I have it on hand. And from the report, it seems to be doing the job so far.

Is this the PTU that doesn't have a drain plug? A magnetic plug is also a great way to gage wear. Yes, I realize slivers of steel are not the same as ppm.

It's still complicated to get a baseline because of the conditions under which it operated, such as how much torque splitting was going on etc. How much driving on slippery roads vs cruising down a dry highway. Thanks for the post.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Is this the PTU that doesn't have a drain plug? A magnetic plug is also a great way to gage wear. Yes I realize slivers of steel are not the same as ppm.

It does have a drain plug. I haven't really thought about using a magnetic plug before but I might give it a try if I can find one.

It's still complicated to get a baseline because of the conditions under which it operated, such as how much torque splitting was going on etc. How much driving on slippery roads vs cruising down a dry highway. Thanks for the post.
frown.gif

I'm not sure how to measure or trend the torque split. Most of my driving is on dry pavement, but I do drive in the rain and snow being that I live in the northeast.

Is this the PTU that doesn't have a drain plug? A magnetic plug is also a great way to gage wear. Yes, I realize slivers of steel are not the same as ppm.

frown.gif

Torque splitting is happening in the rear electronically. The PTU is turning if the car is moving.

if you can spend $$$ on Scamsoil may as well use the better redline lubes, but for most mobil or other similars are more than adequate.

How do you manage to pull a sample from this thing? I holds barely more oil than the size of the blackstone sample bottle
lol.gif

Originally Posted by mpgo4th

frown.gif

Torque splitting is happening in the rear electronically. The PTU is turning if the car is moving.

I'm certainly no expert on this. Given what you said then, it sounds like there is not much going on inside the PTU, except having the rear end calling for torque, and that torque is also seen in the gears of the PTU, sort of like on, off, on, off, as the rear wheels call for torque. That should cause some wear.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by thastinger
How do you manage to pull a sample from this thing? I holds barely more oil than the size of the blackstone sample bottle
lol.gif

Haha. I know right! Luckily it has a drain plug or I'd be scratching my head on this one. Now only if the rear diff has a drain plug too....

Originally Posted by mpgo4th

frown.gif

I'm certainly no expert on this. Given what you said then, it sounds like there is not much going on inside the PTU, except having the rear end calling for torque, and that torque is also seen in the gears of the PTU, sort of like on, off, on, off, as the rear wheels call for torque. That should cause some wear.
smile.gif

There doesn't sound like a lot is going on, but there are tons of failures of these PTUs.

Mpgo4th is right. The PTUs are always spinning. The newer designs have PTUs that only spin when there is a demand. My PTU holds less than 12oz of oil.

The PTU turns if the wheels are turning. They speed up and slow down with the wheel speed of the vehicle. The PTU turns the drive shaft to the rear end unit at the same time as it turns. The rear coupling unit lets the power free wheel until commanded to engage the rear differential. That's how the rear wheels get powered.

if you can spend $$$ on Scamsoil may as well use the better redline lubes, but for most mobil or other similars are more than adequate.

The Motorcraft 75w-140 costs more than Amsoil or Redline - $23 a quart on the ecommerce site named after a large South American river.

The first UOa was the first oil change ? There is a reason for doing very early oil change .

Back