Vented oil cap to reduce oil consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife's fabulous Equinox 2.4 is having significant PCV pressure, like I can pull the breather line off and it will be blowing out. Already checked the problematic PCV port, and it's clear. Since rings are a known issue I'm thinking the rings are the culprit. Among the Equinox forums it seems the vented oil cap is desirable to prevent blowing out the crank seal, but would it also cut down on the oil consumption? Just trying to keep it going until we can get rid of it, but a vented cap might be a cheap fix if it helps.

I feel like if the rings/blow-by is the issue a vented cap will help with the crank seal, but cause oil to be blown/leaked out of the vented cap.

Venting to the atmosphere just makes a mess. Rig a catch can to collect the blow by.
grin2.gif

This would be totally illegal in a State with serious anti pollution laws such as California. Hard to believe your PCV system can't handle it. Moving up a grade might help if you are planning on selling it.
smile.gif

Last edited:
The breather is the "vent" large 4 cylinders always have large pressure changes in the crankcase due to underside piston pumping.

Is the air filter element oil wetted from blowback into the fresh air inlet of the PCV system?

I had a problem on my old f150 where the breather elbow was being blown out the valve cover and a small amount of oil was getting into the breather filter. Everything was in working condition but could not handle the blowby. I replaced the PCV valve with one having a higher flow rate. I never had any more problems and the engine runs a little better too. Something to consider.

Last edited:
Who offers an aftermarket "vented oil cap"?
Isn't that totally illegal given emission standards (not just California)?
If you really want to vent the crankcase, what would prevent you from simply driving without an oil cap?
confused2.gif

That's like offering a hollow cat converter.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by Lubener
I had a problem on my old f150 where the breather elbow was being blown out the valve cover and a small amount of oil was getting into the breather filter. Everything was in working condition but could not handle the blowby. I replaced the PCV valve with one having a higher flow rate. I never had any more problems and the engine runs a little better too. Something to consider.

There isn't a PCV valve on this one. Just a tiny little hole in the intake manifold, for which there is a service bulletin that that hole is known to get clogged up. Dealer mis-diagnosed the hole being clogged up, but wanted $600 to service it. I took the IM off myself and found the hole was not clogged. Didn't study the IM closely enough to see if drilling the hole larger is a viable option, but I'd be reluctant to do that.

Originally Posted by Le_bow_ski
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
That's like offering a hollow cat converter.
crazy2.gif

They're called "test pipes".

Riiiiight!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
If you really want to vent the crankcase, what would prevent you from simply driving without an oil cap?
confused2.gif

I've accidentally done that. The clean-up was not fun! Not something I'd do on purpose!

No emissions or safety inspections in like 10 US states including Florida. It's great, just like having Saul Goodman working at the DMV.

This is difficult to get to work in harmony with the fuel injection. Most of what you have is slightly combustible.so it needs to be re burned in a safe manner and protected from backfire so you do not have an under-hood fire., You do not want to confuse fuel delivery make thing excess lean or a misfire. And you do not want to have deposit build up in the intake and valves. So, a good point with equal flow to all cylinders must be located, and a bigger higher flow PVC valve with a catch can between the intake and the crankcase is what you need. A bit of engineering here.

Rod

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave Sherman
... I can pull the breather line off and it will be blowing out. ...
Are you certain there's net outward flow? You may have pulses alternating between inward and outward, which can give a false impression of outward flow, even if the intake pulses exceed the outward ones in volume---as they should.

You can test the net flow direction with a plastic bag.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by Dave Sherman
... I can pull the breather line off and it will be blowing out. ...
Are you certain there's net outward flow? You may have pulses alternating between inward and outward, which can give a false impression of outward flow, even if the intake pulses exceed the outward ones in volume---as they should.

You can test the net flow direction with a plastic bag.

My calibrated finger tells me if I cover the end of the hose and it builds up pressure, then yes, it has positive pressure. Even the dealer confirms that there is positive crankcase pressure. I was just trying to determine if venting the positive pressure through a vented cap would help the oil consumption any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back