is Supertech Mercon LV safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being this is dual rated Mercon LV / Dexron VI im wondering if this is a good idea to use on my ford fusion and taurus? Im not sure if these two fluids are 100% interchangable......

Originally Posted by slug_bug
Doesn't say Ford certified or approved..... pass

It's funny, on the back of the bottle it says Mercon LV License #= ?????

Walmart also has Motorcraft Mercon LV for $7.99 a bottle instead of the $6.62 for the Supertech non licensed product. Spend the extra $1.37. It's interesting that their Mercon V is licensed but LV is not.

H
Originally Posted by Wolf359

Walmart also has Motorcraft Mercon LV for $7.99 a bottle instead of the $6.62 for the Supertech non licensed product. Spend the extra $1.37. It's interesting that their Mercon V is licensed but LV is not.

Hmm... Now I see the??? lic. number weird. But it does say it's "recommended for" a whole list of manufacturers specs. Recommended by who?

Castrol Transmax is the only certified Mercon LV equivalent I could find:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-..._3qT85wIVFKSzCh3ztwnuEAQYAyABEgKfM_D_BwE

Last edited:
H
Originally Posted by Wolf359

Hmm... Now I see the??? lic. number weird. But it does say it's "recommended for" a whole list of manufacturers specs. Recommended by who?

Castrol Transmax is the only certified Mercon LV equivalent I could find:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-..._3qT85wIVFKSzCh3ztwnuEAQYAyABEgKfM_D_BwE

Recommended means it's not a licensed product. It's recommended by the manufacturer of the fluid. Could mean a few things, either they didn't want to pay the license fee, doesn't meet spec or just hasn't been approved by the manufacturer yet. Valvoline also does this with a lot of their fluids.

Interesting-the Mag1 LV ATF I bought for the 6L90E in my Express says it's licensed for Dex VI and Mercon LV (also made by Warren). I think I would email Warren and see if they still make the LV ATF for WM. That looks an awful lot like a Citgo bottle to me!

Supertech LV ATF is 100% approved by Ford. I was in contact with a Warren rep about this as I was looking for places to buy their MAG1 LV ATF as it's 100% licensed as well (it's the exact same product just packaged for different brands). Yes, the wording on the back of the bottle is confusing. Federated LV ATF is the same as well. They do package their LV ATF for some brands that do not include the approved wording, just "recommended".

$1.37 each difference over 10 qts or so? I'd buy the Motorcraft stuff for the peace of mind, as in " wow I used this cheaper non-OEM fluid and the shifting feels different...."
Serviced plenty of F150 6 speeds over the years with Ford branded fluids and never a problem.

What I would like to know: Ford and GM co-developed the 10 speed they now use. The Ford trannie uses Mercon ULV. What does the GM model use and is it the same formulation as Fords' just put in a GM bottle? Or has GM spec'd their fluid differently, for whatever reason?

It's on the back of the bottle over top of the UPC.
License#: MLV130404

There are a number of Mercon LV/Dexron VI dual rated ATFs out there. It is licensed and approved by both manufacturers so you can use it without fear of warranty being denied.

Pennzoil Platinum LV ATF is also dual rated.

Valvoline Dexron VI Valvoline Dexron VI is Dex 6 approved and recommended (not approved) for Mercon LV.

Peak ATF Ford and GM approved.

SynGard ATF Ford and GM approved.

Castrol Transmax Ford and GM approved.

Yet another case where Valvoline fluid is not licensed. Recommended mean Valvoline recommends you buy Valvoline products, and that is all it means. Ford does not approve of Valvoline. I would go with the Castrol Transmax which is licensed by both Ford and GM. The SuperTech if it has a Ford license is licensed. I did not check the others. As for Warren it makes all different grades of products for various third party customers. Look at the bottle you are buying.

Originally Posted by BlakeB

There are a number of Mercon LV/Dexron VI dual rated ATFs out there. It is licensed and approved by both manufacturers so you can use it without fear of warranty being denied.

Pennzoil Platinum LV ATF is also dual rated.

Valvoline Dexron VI Valvoline Dexron VI is Dex 6 approved and recommended (not approved) for Mercon LV.

Peak ATF Ford and GM approved.

SynGard ATF Ford and GM approved.

Castrol Transmax Ford and GM approved.

We're talking about this Supertech Mercon LV and Dextron VI fluid.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Full-Synthetic-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-Quart/52626198

Picture on the back has 6 question marks for the Mercon LV license number. Maybe the latest bottle has a license number.

Exactly. This is not a fluid that Warren says, "sure, it should be fine". They submitted the product to Ford/GM and they said it meets our requirements 100%, here's a license # you can put on the bottles, brochures, etc".

ST Dex VI/Mercon LV
These are pics I found on my phone from April of 2019, they have a license # J-60416 on the bottom of the bottle as well.

I linked a google album, the site won't let me upload pics from my phone today. Usually it works fine, I tried from Safari and Google Chrome.

Last edited:
Like everybody else said, it is licensed Mercon LV and carries formal approval by Ford, so there is no problem
smile.gif

ST Dex VI/Mercon LV
These are pics I found on my phone from April of 2019, they have a license # J-60416 on the bottom of the bottle as well.

I linked a google album, the site won't let me upload pics from my phone today. Usually it works fine, I tried from Safari and Google Chrome.

Very good work BlakeB....

I could not read the photo from Wally world website... Though I was having a issue seeing... Then realized... Nah... Ain't no way anybody could see that.

People shouldn't be so much weight in the pictures of products that companies show on their websites.

Maybe true to a small point...

Only if that picture shows specs that don't make sense or do not correlate...

If the specs make sense... Then it is fine to trust a picture... Like Dexos1 Gen 2 and say ILSAC GF-5... And ACEA A5 B5.

I will say that Cam2 claims their Dexos Gen 2 full synthetic meets BMW LL-01 or MB 229.5.... Which does not make sense to me because the HTHS of Dexos oils are typically 3.0 to maybe 3.3 Though overwhelmingly most are 3.0 to 3.2... MB is a minimum HTHS of 3.5 or greater.... Those specs are not in proper correlation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back