Efficiency of Mahle Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The newer 3.6 Pentastars are known for twisting oil filters, which honestly, I don't think is a big deal. However, it would be nice to find one that filters well and doesn't twist like that.

On another forum, a friend posted a Mahle filter out of his 3.6 after 5k miles and it had absolutely no twist, with perfectly straight and even pleats. That's the first filter I've seen that didn't do the Chubby Checker.

I read that they were once the OEM filter supplier for BMW and Mercedes, so I'd imagine at least back then they were very good. I looked on their site, and it sounds like they are a high quality filter, but they give no numbers on efficiency. I did see that this version is made in China (as is everything else). They also say they use layers of synthetic media, with no cellulose. (Not sure if that is good or bad, or indifferent.)

Any info would be appreciated.

"Info" will be hard to come by.

Posters her mention apparent build quality, note the presence or absence of tears, mention twisting or not, etc.

Nobody has ever mentioned actual filtration specs beyond repeating percentages @ various micron sizes from the box or website.

I feel that is due to the possibility of media being sourced from varying suppliers.

Also, and this may sound snotty but it isn't, manufacturers aren't reconstruction retinas for eyeballs here. They're making a fabric-like material to stand up to pressure surges whilst filtering and can't be bound to a single "formula". I feel there are going to be differences from run to run. I think recycled materials could be involved. I just hope for some QA/QC along the way.

I'd go with Mahle if they covered your application.
My cousin bought a MOPAR filter for his 3.6 (2015 Charger) and I just threw it in because it's what he had.
I'd buy WIX or Hastings too with confidence.

Don't over think this one. Just don't go cheap.

Hi
Good post
I too am interested in opinions.
I have watched many oil change vids on you tube where the oil filter is twisted when removed from the Jeep diesel engine. I always wondered if that was due to cheap filters that were slightly too large for the housing and twisted when being tightened.

I see that the Mahle filters are around $6 and change per filter. Fram XG is $8.06 a filter.

Can the Mahle be run as long as the XG? I think I'll stick with the XG until I find a better choice...

I was curious about this as well so I send a request to Mahle asking for the efficiency rating for the OX1213D. I will post back here if they reply.

I asked them about efficiency on the OC1177 for my Subaru and this is what they replied with:

Thank you for your interest in MAHLE Original oil filters, and for your
purchase of OC 1177.

The specifications for OC 1177 are:

Bypass valve opening pressure: 130 kPA/18.85 PSI

Beta Ratio:
50% -- 18 micron
75% -- 24 micron
90% -- 28 micron

Nominal Flow Rate: 20 l/min

Kind regards,

Lisa Levra
MAHLE Aftermarket Inc.
Product Management (MND)

23030 MAHLE Drive, Farmington Hills, Michigan 48335 USA
Phone: +1 248 347-97 17, Fax: +1 248 596-88 98
Mobile: +1 248 949-7889
[email protected], http://www.mahle-aftermarket.com

Originally Posted by Kira
"Info" will be hard to come by.

Posters her mention apparent build quality, note the presence or absence of tears, mention twisting or not, etc.

Nobody has ever mentioned actual filtration specs beyond repeating percentages @ various micron sizes from the box or website.

I feel that is due to the possibility of media being sourced from varying suppliers.

Also, and this may sound snotty but it isn't, manufacturers aren't reconstruction retinas for eyeballs here. They're making a fabric-like material to stand up to pressure surges whilst filtering and can't be bound to a single "formula". I feel there are going to be differences from run to run. I think recycled materials could be involved. I just hope for some QA/QC along the way.

I'd go with Mahle if they covered your application.
My cousin bought a MOPAR filter for his 3.6 (2015 Charger) and I just threw it in because it's what he had.
I'd buy WIX or Hastings too with confidence.

Don't over think this one. Just don't go cheap.

I agree with you about overthinking, and I don't worry too much because the Pentastar is pretty easy on oil. The Mopars are made by [censored] and I've not seen one yet that has torn in this application. Only twisted. I still like a filter that claims high efficiency, though.

I bought 13 Mobil 1 filters on clearance for 4 bucks. Otherwise, I run Fram XG's. They twist, but they don't tear and I've torn two apart. It took vice grips and lots of effort to tear the media apart because it is backed by some kind of polymer or monofilament like mesh and it is bonded in a very strong way. But, They are 12 bucks or so, so when I saw the M1 filters, I jumped on them. I'm on my first M1, so I don't know much about it yet. I've got 6500 on it and will take it out around 7500 or 8000, or whatever it is when it reaches 0%. I'm at 21% for now.

The Mahle he showed me was nice and straight I believe with 5k on it. I can't help but wonder if it is shorter and that's why it doesn't twist.

I'd still like to know what efficiency they publish, if at all, according to industry standard testing.

On another note....I've tightened my filter cap to factory spec, so I don't think overtightening has twisted the Mopar or the Fram. That's why I wonder if they might be ever so slightly long.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
I was curious about this as well so I send a request to Mahle asking for the efficiency rating for the OX1213D. I will post back here if they reply.

Great! Thanks!

Originally Posted by JC1
I see that the Mahle filters are around $6 and change per filter. Fram XG is $8.06 a filter.

Can the Mahle be run as long as the XG? I think I'll stick with the XG until I find a better choice...

That's a great price on the Fram XG!

Originally Posted by Needleman
I asked them about efficiency on the OC1177 for my Subaru and this is what they replied with:

purchase of OC 1177.

Bypass valve opening pressure: 130 kPA/18.85 PSI

Beta Ratio:
50% -- 18 micron
75% -- 24 micron
90% -- 28 micron

Kind regards,

Lisa Levra
MAHLE Aftermarket Inc.
Product Management (MND)

23030 MAHLE Drive, Farmington Hills, Michigan 48335 USA
Phone: +1 248 347-97 17, Fax: +1 248 596-88 98
Mobile: +1 248 949-7889
[email protected], http://www.mahle-aftermarket.com

90% at 28 doesn't sound bad. Probably pretty close to Mobil 1, which publishes 99% at 30.

Are they still the OEM for BMW and Mercedes? If it is good enough for them, then it is approaching good enough for my engines.
grin.gif

Last edited:

purchase of OC 1177.

Beta Ratio:
50% -- 18 micron
75% -- 24 micron
90% -- 28 micron

Kind regards,

Lisa Levra
MAHLE Aftermarket Inc.
Product Management (MND)

Not that great of efficiency. 50% @ 18 microns is basically where Toyota OEM filters are. Extrapolating the 90% @ 28 microns would probably put it around 99% @ 40 microns.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

purchase of OC 1177.

Beta Ratio:
50% -- 18 micron
75% -- 24 micron
90% -- 28 micron

Kind regards,

Lisa Levra
MAHLE Aftermarket Inc.
Product Management (MND)

Not that great of efficiency. 50% @ 18 microns is basically where Toyota OEM filters are. Extrapolating the 90% @ 28 microns would probably put it around 99% @ 40 microns.

Still better than what Wix told me about their standard filters. I can't remember the exact figure but it was worse than that.

Does Mahle make a premium line?

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Still better than what Wix told me about their standard filters. I can't remember the exact figure but it was worse than that.

WIX standard oil filters (not the XP) are 95% @ 20 microns. That's much better than 50% @ 18 microns.

WIX standard oil filters (not the XP) are 95% @ 20 microns. That's much better than 50% @ 18 microns.

That's not what they told me a couple months ago. Maybe they gave me wrong info or have published new data. Where did you see that? I'm talking standard Wix, btw, not their premium filter.

That's not what they told me a couple months ago. Maybe they gave me wrong info or have published new data. Where did you see that? I'm talking standard Wix, btw, not their premium filter.

Typically it's shown on WIX's website in the beta ratio info. I'm thinking someone at WIX doesn't know what they're reading from.

What filter number did you ask about? I'm assuming "their premium filter" you mean the XP full synthetic filter.

I like the brand. I mostly run these in the wife's Volvo. If RA is sold out, I'll get a Mann, but they usually end up a little wavy. The Mahle always looks new and is the cheapest option to boot.

I might have to try these on my brothers 2016 Jeep. What year is your Pentastar OP? (Sorry if you have it in your signature, can't see it on my phone.) I believe they made a change around 2014. Lately we've just been using Mopar. Always seems to hold up the best.

Very disappointing, but not unexpected (I replied stating they did not answer the question and will update this thread if they do):
Originally Posted by Mahle

Thank you for your recent Inquiry.

Question: Can you tell me the efficiency ratings for the Mahle oil filter for this engine which is a Mahle OX1213D? Thanks in advance!

Answer: Our filter is made to exactly meet the matching OE specifications for form, fitment & function.

Here the "answer" such that it is (ZeeOSix - can to make a guesstimate?):

Originally Posted by Mahle
Question: Can you tell me the efficiency ratings for the Mahle oil filter for this engine which is a Mahle OX1213D? Thanks in advance!
Thanks for the response, but you did not answer the question. What is the efficiency rating of an OXD filter? 20um@90%, 40um@90%, etc.

Answer: The only published data available for our filter is the material which is Cellulose & the Nominal Micron rating which is 13. Most of the efficiency information is proprietary due to OE agreements. Rest assured the Mahle filter will meet all necessary OE replacement guidelines. It is a direct interchange from the most current Chrysler OE number 6819134AC.

History:
Date From Message
2020-03-02 MAHLE Our filter is made to exactly meet the matching OE specifications for form, fitment & function.
2020-03-02 MAHLE Thanks for the response, but you did not answer the question. What is the efficiency rating of an OXD filter? 20um@90%, 40um@90%, etc.
2020-03-02 MAHLE The only published data available for our filter is the material which is Cellulose & the Nominal Micron rating which is 13. Most of the efficiency information is proprietary due to OE agreements. Rest assured the Mahle filter will meet all necessary OE replacement guidelines. It is a direct interchange from the most current Chrysler OE number 6819134AC.

Here the "answer" such that it is (ZeeOSix - can to make a guesstimate?):

Thanks for the response, but you did not answer the question. What is the efficiency rating of an OXD filter? 20um@90%, 40um@90%, etc.

Answer: The only published data available for our filter is the material which is Cellulose & the Nominal Micron rating which is 13. Most of the efficiency information is proprietary due to OE agreements. Rest assured the Mahle filter will meet all necessary OE replacement guidelines. It is a direct interchange from the most current Chrysler OE number 6819134AC.

"Nominal Efficiency" typically means the efficiency at 50%. So that would equate to 50% @ 13 microns in this case.

Beta 2 = 50% = Nominal Efficiency
Beta 75 = 97.8 % = Absolute Efficiency

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Nominal Efficiency" typically means the efficiency at 50%. So that would equate to 50% @ 13 microns in this case.
Can you extrapolate to what it might theoretically be at 95%?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back