Are Toyota filters any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can get them for $3.50 each at a TOYOTA parts department . 3 U.O.A.s provided here with good results from the 90915-YZZF2 . Like them since they come with a plastic cover over the opening and lubed from the factory .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Some folks here like them, they are oem and seem to be able to be had for a reasonable price. That said, based on one member's oil filter testing (river_rat) and confirmed by a recent test of oem oil filters by Amsoil shown below, they don't seem to be very efficient.

eao_efficiency_500px.jpg

But it is adequate, and that is what's important.

An engineer at Purolator has told me before that Japanese makers typically prefer filter capacity over efficiency, and that American makers typically prefer efficiency over capacity. The graph posted correlates pretty well with that statement.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

51% @ 20 microns probably isn't adequate to everyone. I thought Ford's 80% @ 20 microns was borderline adequate.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: The Critic

51% @ 20 microns probably isn't adequate to everyone. I thought Ford's 80% @ 20 microns was borderline adequate.

How are you arriving at your standard of adequate?

The Toyota filters seem to be made of more media than aftermarket filters @ $4.00 in my area I can't go wrong with them.

The Toyota dealer here is selling TRD oil filters for $10.

https://partsbarn.sunnysidetoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-trd-oil-filter-ptr4333010?c=bD0xJm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM%3D

Last edited:
Toyota OEM filters are just fine. There are thousands of Corollas, Camrys and Tacomas that have well over 200K on OEM filters and bulk oil. If you are going for an extended drain I would upgrade to a larger capacity oil filter like the Bosch D+.

TRD oil filters are an Amsoil/Royal Purple clone with a nut on the back in certain applications. For $10 that's a great price.

I've used Toyota Denso Japan foam filters, Denso Thailand filters and TRD made in America (Champ Labs) filters and saw 0 difference on UOA with my previous Toyota.

Again, everyone's opinion will vary. My results are just specific to my previous car, OCI and UAO reports. For the price they work just fine. I use them and will do without hesitation.

Toyota filters are just fine for a regular OCI and a little beyond. I use them since the price is right locally.

Toyota recommends 10,000 OCI's in many of their vehicles using the Toyota OEM filter. Use it with confidence.

^^^ Interesting design. They don't give any specific efficiency info, but this video shows "20u" and "10u" filtering media. How much are those filters?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
^^^ Interesting design. They don't give any specific efficiency info, but this video shows "20u" and "10u" filtering media. How much are those filters?

Paid $20 in local currency but they are cheaper in Japan and other parts of Asia.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Piaa claims 170% more flow. That is enough to hear for me.

Which basically means they are less flow restrictive since the flow with a positive displacement oil pump is the same unless the pump is in pressure relief (which is hardly ever).

But they don't give any flow vs delta-p vs oil viscosity data ... so the "170% more flow" claim is pretty nebulous.

Please start a new topic if the subject interests you.

Replying to an near decade old topic helps no one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back