door lock switch is stuck/hard to push, what to use to lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys in my 2003 hummer h2, both the rear door locks are sticky. when i try manually pushing the door lock switch, they are hard to push and dont slide as easily as the front ones. so whenever i unlock or lock the truck, the back ones either dont lock or dont unlock or are half way, where there door will open half way but not fully. how can i fix this? do i just lube up the door lock actuator with wd 40 or something or do i have to replace something in both doors?
thx

attached is a photo of what i am talking about

i assume i should just lube up the door lock actuator thingy, what should i use? just wd40? or something fancy

thx

s-l1600.jpg

I wonder if soda got in those! wd40 is safe to spray and clean it, but it will evaporate leaving nothing lubricating behind.

Is it the slide switch , or the whole mechanism thats attached to it? You might have to pull the door panels and clean and lube the whole mechanism, if water has gotten in there. Wd40 to clean, superlube grease or some silicon grease after.

Last edited:
You should probably take the actuator apart, clean it and re lube it.

Could also be turn of the century lead free solder issues in the actuator circuitry. MK4 VWs had that problem with their actuators.

well i dont really know what the problem is, when i try to manually slide the slide switch, the rear ones feel harder to push and resistant. they still work tho. when i use auto locks from my remote, they dont work well, i always have to manually slide them so the door is locked or unlocked. my front ones are perfectly fine, they both slide easily and they work fine with remote unlocks.

i dont really know what they are attached to but i was thinking of just lubing up the slide switch and hopes some lube falls into the crevices and also lubing up the whole door lock actuator i think its called, the metal things that hook onto the vehicle to close and open the door. i am hoping that will fix it otherwise would have to take off both door panels and see whats wrong.

thanks!

i actualyl have no clue, its not really about the money its just that im lazy to take apart the door panel if i have to ahaha

$200 for the door latch assembly which i assume is what i have to replace if the time comes....
mad.gif

so i assume the best way to do it is to remove the door latch assembly, clean it, degrease it and then put it back?

or is the door latch assembly not the culprit

If it is like most GM trucks it has a metal rod that slides in nylon brackets to move the door locks and it is attached to the plastic piece you pictured. The factory lubricant gets dry over the years and causes it to stick. The only way to solve the problem is remove the door panel, clean, then lube the steel rod so that it slides freely.

Houdini is not only the best lock lube made but it's fully rated and works well on electric switch's

Take the door panel apart, there's all sorts of stuff in there and you'll see it better.

Expect to spend several hrs per door. Gotta be videos , Do some searching on line.Find how to videos Buy tools to remove the inside panel. The problem with the Grand Wagoneer's electric locks was lack of lube and too much accumulated play in the linkage that used up the throw of the actuators. The rear latches are bound up from lack of use? For Soda? just dunk them in warm water, then let them dry out.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back