Best hose bibb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I replaced a cracked hose bibb at our house in Petaluma, just north of San Francisco in the wine country.
The house is 50 years old; plumbing is copper and the bibbs are original. I suspect they are cheapos but we sure got our money's worth.

Went to Freemans (great place) and got an American made (so they said) bibb for about $8.
Later I figured I should replace the rest as a precaution.

I hate cheap parts and cheap tools. Amazon seems to have only lightweight off shore stuff...
Of course in another 50 years it won't be my problem.
What brand hose bibb is quality and where do I get them?
I am considering the 1/4 turn ball valves...

Thanks for your guidance.

Edit: I noticed the Amazon 3/4" bibb (ball valve) reduces the inner size to maybe 3/8" or less... What the ?

Last edited:
Try and find prier brand,american made and sturdy,don t get any with vaccum breaker they tend to crack in cold.

I've used the Woodford exterior frost free hot and cold hose bibs in my garages. Very nice to have the option for hot water in the garage.

Originally Posted by silveravant
Are you looking for a frost proof or regular hose bib?

Regular should be fine.
I just wanna do better than a cheapo, thin metal bibb.
I try to buy quality parts; long term results pay off.

Prier is the best for frost-free bibb but I would also say they might be best for regular bibbs too. For one thing they stock all the replacement parts including the vacuum breaker, so you can rebuild them forever. It is not a disposable item.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Last week I replaced a cracked hose bibb at our house in Petaluma, just north of San Francisco in the wine country.
The house is 50 years old; plumbing is copper and the bibbs are original. I suspect they are cheapos but we sure got our money's worth.

Went to Freemans (great place) and got an American made (so they said) bibb for about $8.
Later I figured I should replace the rest as a precaution.

I hate cheap parts and cheap tools. Amazon seems to have only lightweight off shore stuff...
Of course in another 50 years it won't be my problem.
What brand hose bibb is quality and where do I get them?
I am considering the 1/4 turn ball valves...

Thanks for your guidance.

Edit: I noticed the Amazon 3/4" bibb (ball valve) reduces the inner size to maybe 3/8" or less... What the ?

What you need is a full port ball valve.
https://www.thevalveshop.com/menu/manual/apollo/apollom.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back