what is your oil filter change interval ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New oil old filter ? Nah OCI = filter too.
It's a once a year thing on my VW at around 6,000 miles and about 10 months on the Mazda at 6,000 also. I might consider the 10k oci hype on synthetic if I was driving 20,000 miles a year and set it to two LOF annually but I think of this kind of maint cost as way too minimal IMO to not play it safe. With such peace of mind, I don't bother with oil analytics / samples etc.... I verify the color of the oil and level a few times a year and let the dealer do their thing including stamping the service record booklet.

when the oil is changed
13.gif

which is at every 15.000 km (9320,5 miles)

in europe for my vehicle it is double that distance. i guess it's the difference of diesel quality and environmental factors that halves my oil change period.

When I change the oil - I want to change all (or as much of) the oil as possible. Why would I want to leave 1/2qt+ of old oil in the filter unchanged?

With a premium filter like a Mobil 1 or Fram Ultra and synthetic oil I go 5000 miles on the oil and change the filter every other time.
I mentioned that on a couple of Blackstone reports and they found no negative issues in their readings.

Longest I've gone on oil is 12,000 miles. Longest I've gone on filter is 18,000 miles. That cartridge filter on my Camry is a pain to change without ramps.

If I'm going to go to the trouble to drag out the ramps and crawl around in the driveway then I'm going to do the complete service while I'm under there. That's especially true on my two vehicles that require removing hatches or shields to access the drain.

Originally Posted by fedvet
5k, oil and filter. Makes it easy to manage the other services that usually come along on the 10s, so to speak. This includes a 2016 Ram hemi, 2015 MB Bluetec, and 2011 MB C300. Oil and filter change are cheap insurance.

I would say WRONG on the cheap insurance.

Too frequent an OCI = higher engine wear and excessive environmental waste and burden
\
If each registered car in the U.S. had but two oil changes a year

that comes to Half a billion oil filters and and over Two Billion quarts of used oil.

MAJOR impact to no benefit whatsoever.

I'm running Fram Ultras. Filter changed ever 2 years on the Civic (usually do an oil change November and April-May). Wife's DD and a lot of short trips. last fill was PU in November, so I think I'll leave this oil in for longer.

On the Caravan, I usually change the Ultra every second OC which ends up being around 18-20k kms. (about 12-13K miles).

Originally Posted by STIcandy
I don't understand why you'd change the oil and not the filter. It's like taking a shower and putting dirty underwear back on.

If you turn the underwear inside-out, it's just like a fresh pair. Should work for oil filters, too.

Every 6 months when the oil is changed per FCA warranty requirements. May be 2000 miles or 6000 miles. Use Fleetgaurd Stratapore bought off Amazon cheaper than I can get Mopar filter for at Wally World. And use conventional oil.

Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger
I don't understand why you'd change the oil and not the filter. It's like taking a shower and putting dirty underwear back on.

If you turn the underwear inside-out, it's just like a fresh pair. Should work for oil filters, too.

🤣🤣

Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger

Actually, that's the only way it would/could be able to be compared to putting dirty underwear on after a shower. Filters, by definition (and literally)...filter. They don't contaminate what comes out the other side. I used to be of the thought of new filter with every OC until I started doing UOA's and looking at used filter media. To each his own with his own possessions.

We used to change oil and filter every 3k. Oil went to 7k, but did filters?
No, the point is do I STILL need to change the filter every 3k miles, like the old days.
Change the filter twice for every one oil change. Looks like a big no.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back